Jump to content
Will

Tanglewood 2018: Williams to Conduct at Film Night, the Bernstein Concert, and Parade

Recommended Posts

So who is going this Saturday, August 11?

 

I might have an extra ticket in Section 7 if someone missed out and wants to buy it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, "Parade" is never on live, although in past years they've occasionally put a recording in some random area of the site up several months after (that's how I discovered the "Just Down West Street" recording that was our introduction to that piece! :)). 

 

The good news is that both Film Night and the Highwood's Ghost premiere will be broadcast live by WCRB:

 

http://www.classicalwcrb.org/post/john-williamss-film-night-tanglewood#stream/0 

 

http://www.classicalwcrb.org/post/world-premiere-yo-yo-ma#stream/0

 

However, I can't remember - does the online stream blockage apply to live streams as well as replays? Because if so we'll need to hope someone physically in the Boston area can record it as it plays (*cough* @Jay *cough*). 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Will said:

The good news is that both Film Night and the Highwood's Ghost premiere will be broadcast live by WCRB:

 

http://www.classicalwcrb.org/post/john-williamss-film-night-tanglewood#stream/0 

 

http://www.classicalwcrb.org/post/world-premiere-yo-yo-ma#stream/0

 

However, I can't remember - does the online stream blockage apply to live streams as well as replays? Because if so we'll need to hope someone physically in the Boston area can record it as it plays (*cough* @Jay *cough*). 

 

Someone better remember to record these live, because they won't be available on-demand after their first airing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only one that's necessary to record imho is "Highwood's Ghost." I don't really care about Film Night - there will probably be some videos that show up on YouTube anyway, plus we've already heard so many past ones. 

 

@Miguel Andrade, under the new rules can people outside of New England listen to/record the live online stream? (even though we of course can't hear replays)

 

Or is our only hope for getting a recording that someone physically in New England records the WCRB broadcast? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Listing for 8/11 Film Night.  I thought typically the entire show was Williams’ music?  The first half is various other composers. 

 

Any guesses for Encore?

 

http://bso.http.internapcdn.net/bso/images/program-notes/2018-full-notes/20180811.pdf?utm_source=Email_marketing&utm_campaign=mkttwdpreshow20180808&cmp=1&utm_medium=HTMLEmail

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Pellaeon said:

Nice, looks like we’ll get a recording of another performance of the new Han and Leia composition!

 

Assuming someone can record it...

 

But yeah, program looks great! JW's section is heavy on choral stuff - CoTC, Dry Your Tears, and DoTF!

 

Plus Close Encounters, which I don't think he does too often anymore! 

 

1 hour ago, Comp82 said:

Listing for 8/11 Film Night.  I thought typically the entire show was Williams’ music?  The first half is various other composers. 



 

At least in recent years, the first half at Tanglewood has been almost all non-Williams, IIRC. But I thought they usually ended with a selection of his so this is pretty surprising. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seriously I don't really care.  I'm a little bit old for those Disney movies!

 

I just add this into spoilers tags, before being banned from the forum!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello everyone! I have a quick question.

 

I am new to this, and this will be my first ever professional concert I will have ever experienced, so it is exciting to me that it will start with none other than one of my favorite composers, John Williams. My question is, is it possible that when one reaches the venue on the day of the concert, will they allow one to enter to the concert if instead of showing the physical ticket, one can show the person a picture of the physical ticket on the phone with the bar code? Will they allow that? Are there limitations involved in doing so? Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tony, it depends what kind of ticket you requested at checkout. Print at home should work on your phone with the barcode. If it’s a ticket to hold at the box office, it’ll be available there, and if my any chance you had original tickets that you lost or no longer have access to, the box office should be able to reprint duplicates if they were purchased in your name and you have ID.

 

As for the program, looks good. My only hope is that Andris Nelsons will be invited back onstage to play the trumpet solo in "The Long Road to Justice" from Amistad after ´Dry your Tears, Afrika!´

 

His surprise performance of Lincoln was the highlight of the evening last year!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So ... Is there a chance to have a Pre-Recording broadcast for, TANGLEWOOD ON PARADE (John Williams + various conductors)?
Tuesday, August 7, 2018

https://www.bso.org/Performance/Detail/93173/

 

Last year I had the chance to record it live from WCRB classical on a Pre- recording broadcast.

Can't remember when I did it in 2017.

Is someone knows the schedule for this year?

 

Update:

I should read all the comments before asking! lol

Nobody knows yet...

Of course.

Sorry for my "impatience"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/8/2018 at 4:06 PM, Will said:

The only one that's necessary to record imho is "Highwood's Ghost." I don't really care about Film Night - there will probably be some videos that show up on YouTube anyway, plus we've already heard so many past ones. 

 

@Miguel Andrade, under the new rules can people outside of New England listen to/record the live online stream? (even though we of course can't hear replays)

 

Or is our only hope for getting a recording that someone physically in New England records the WCRB broadcast? 

 

WCRB streams worldwide. You just need to have an internet connection. I don't think that people are expected to record the live stream... I don't think it's the station idea, but you surely could record it if you want and have the expertise (nothing that special actually) to do so.

On 8/9/2018 at 9:35 AM, aescalle said:

So ... Is there a chance to have a Pre-Recording broadcast for, TANGLEWOOD ON PARADE (John Williams + various conductors)?
Tuesday, August 7, 2018

https://www.bso.org/Performance/Detail/93173/

 

Last year I had the chance to record it live from WCRB classical on a Pre- recording broadcast.

Can't remember when I did it in 2017.

Is someone knows the schedule for this year?

 

Update:

I should read all the comments before asking! lol

Nobody knows yet...

Of course.

Sorry for my "impatience"

 

WCRB hasn't broadcast Tanglewood on Parade since 2013. From 2014 they do produce a recording that was later available on-demand on the BSO website (as well as the remaining concerts that were broadcast live, which were also available on-demand at WCRB's site). I'm afraid that it isn't the case this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool, here we have the same time zone as Boston, so I will try to listen to the broadcast live and record it (with Audacity).

 

Like if I was there!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Steve McQueen said:

Ready to listen and give a play by play, unless something comes up.  

Fully clothed, though.

 

Don't be shy, make yourself comfortable.

 

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Wait really? 8pm?

 

Is that a Canadian thing or a middle age thing?

 

okay okay 20h. I'm on the same time zone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×