Tanglewood 2018: Williams to Conduct at Film Night, the Bernstein Concert, and Parade

Will

On 8/12/2018 at 9:56 AM, thx99 said:

So no one's mentioned the "Milli Vanilli moment" preceding "Call of the Champions"!! Seems there was a pre-recorded bit played just prior to the start of the piece, followed by audience laughter.  Anyone in attendance care to elaborate on what happened?

Yea, I was there, and it was awkward!

They were basically still getting settled after Close Encounters and getting ready to start Call of the Champions when the audio of the CD version BLASTED out of the speakers then was quickly squashed.  Then, they were ready and their live performance began.

I'm GUESSING they had the audio of that cued up in case there were any technical difficulties with broadcasting the choir, and they could broadcast that instead?  It was weird.  The video montages that some pieces are synced to wouldn't have audio in them I wouldn't think.

Did anyone else notice, in this performance of DotF, the opening choral chord was filled out with the E (added to G and B) to make it distinctly minor.  This is different (and less preferred, IMHO) than the OST which opens with a brilliantly ambiguous major third (is it major or minor?), only to be given its minor color after the first phrase.  I've always wondered if it's JW himself that makes these little changes, and what his reasoning is.

Also in live performances, I always find the DotF brass playing to be too heavy - not as light and crisp as with the LSO's playing.  Though I'm sure mike placement and venue acoustics have a lot to do with that.

The performance of Han and the Princess was sublime.  I didn't like it at first listen, but it's growing on me.

On 8/13/2018 at 7:18 PM, crumbs said:

So we only have a recording of Film Night and don't get to hear the Adagio? Well that sucks.

Yes that is a pity.

I really hope that one day (very soon) will will have the pleasure to listen the "Adagio for the Force Awakens" and the complete program of "Tanglewood on Parade".

WCRB radio pleeaase!