John Powell's FERDINAND (2017)

Jay

No photo description available.

From La-La Land Records and 5 Cat Studios!
Ferdinand (Original Motion Picture Score) Album 😎
Coming on December 12 and digital release on December 15!

https://www.facebook.com/johnpowellmusic/photos/a.1690234244533204.1073741828.1689850014571627/1967895610100398/?type=3&theater

We are deeply honored joining forces with Fox Music and Mr. Powell's brand new label -- 5 Cat Studios in bringing this magnificent score to cd and digital. This will be our last release of 2017 and what a way to go out! 

MV

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=123889&forumID=1&archive=0

Tracklist :)

1. Bees And Bulls (2:30)
2. Selection Process (2:00)
3. Father And Son (2:06)
4. Finding Home (5:32)
5. A New Day (2:52)
6. Flower Festival (4:46)
7. There’s Been A Mistake (2:28)
8. Lupe And Ferdinand (2:28)
9. Lipizzaners And Ferraris (2:50)
10. Ferdinand And Nina (3:24)
11. Bull Olympics (3:42)
12. Sunsets In The Training Yard (3:14)
13. Escape from ‘The Spa’ (3:32)
14. Highway Chase (3:16)
15. From Train Station To Arena (5:04)
16. Madrid Finale (12:14)

The original FERDINAND short is a staple in Norwegian households every year (one of my mom's favourites, even), as it's part of the Disney Christmas special that has been sent on the morning of Christmas Eve every year in Norway for as long as I can remember. It's even far more popular here than in the US. But I'm curious to see how this feature-lenght remake holds up. And of course, I'm excited about any new Powell.

The Disney Christmas special is a tradition in Sweden as well so I know the Ferdinand short story by heart! Powell posted a cue on Facebook from the new score and it sounded very promising!

I'm amazed how well powell can switch between styles. Whether he uses his action/bourne/RCP style or a more orchestral tone you always have themes, colors and shapes and you can hear its personal voice. One of my favorite composer.

In Dragon 2 the orchestra sounds so much better than the original movie and generally it sounds more mature, although it doesn't have a competitor or an equal to Forbidden Friendship so maybe that's what it puts it just a tiny bit under the first one. 

In Panda 2 he apparently did this one, which I always thought it was pure Hansy for some reason

2:25 - Vivaldi on crack

17 hours ago, Muad'Dib said:

In Dragon 2 the orchestra sounds so much better than the original movie

Yeah, the first Dragon score sounds pretty "metallic" compared to the second score -a  bit more noisy and synthetic sounding.  

17 hours ago, Muad'Dib said:

In Panda 2 he apparently did this one, which I always thought it was pure Hansy for some reason

I love most Powell animation scores but Panda has never done much for me.  That's probably why tbh.  

I thought it was HTTYD2 which sounded more synthetic sounding, especially with those tinnitus-inducing violins.

I think HTTYD is more unified than HTTYD2 and does a better job of highlighting the story as it progresses. Also, HTTYD2 sounds noticeably contrived whenever JP references a musical idea from HTTYD. HTTYD, on the other hand, felt totally organic from the first note to the last.  

Mind you, I think both scores are brilliant - HTTYD is my favourite non-JW score, HTTYD2 lags behind only slightly.

In any case, I think if you look at the general trend of all of JP's output, he has not peaked; he is getting better and better. We can still expect great things.

34 minutes ago, Loert said:

I think HTTYD is more unified than HTTYD2 and does a better job of highlighting the story as it progresses. Also, HTTYD2 sounds noticeably contrived whenever JP references a musical idea from HTTYD. HTTYD, on the other hand, felt totally organic from the first note to the last. 

It's a good melodic score but still, the loud action music in the second half is just pitiless noise - the second score, while still very loud, sounds a bit more balanced. Still, it never achieves the grace and refinement of the truly brilliant animation scores of the 80's and 90's, eg 'Secret of Nimh', 'American Tail' or 'Land before Time'.

Battling the Green Death/Counter Attack is just pitiless noise? I think it should become a gold standard in writing melodic, cohesive action music for film. I would die happy if I ever wrote anything approaching the quality of that sequence. Battle of the Bewilderbeast, on the other hand, is a bit all over the place, both in terms of structure and musical layering (though I love the buildup in the final 40s or so).

1 hour ago, Loert said:

I thought it was HTTYD2 which sounded more synthetic sounding, especially with those tinnitus-inducing violins.

Mind you, I think both scores are brilliant - HTTYD is my favourite non-JW score, HTTYD2 lags behind only slightly.

In any case, I think if you look at the general trend of all of JP's output, he has not peaked; he is getting better and better. We can still expect great things.

It's possible Muad was comparing the unofficial versions of those scores which both have more listenable mixes.

22 minutes ago, Loert said:

Battling the Green Death/Counter Attack is just pitiless noise? I think it should become a gold standard in writing melodic, cohesive action music for film. I would die happy if I ever wrote anything approaching the quality of that sequence. Battle of the Bewilderbeast, on the other hand, is a bit all over the place, both in terms of structure and musical layering (though I love the buildup in the final 40s or so).

BOBB actually was what finally made decide to take up composing.

20 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Pan is better than both scores, so who cares?

I still disagree with this, though as always, I concede both HTTYD albums are mastered wayyyyy too loud. The FYC promos sound excellent however. No tinnitus inducing strings anywhere!

23 hours ago, Loert said:

It's not a very nuanced composition - to put it politely - though i blame Dreamworks' house style rather than Powell.

• 2 weeks later...

Yea I dunno why people responded to you that way.  They are brothers.

Kaya and his (now) wife are 2 of the nicest people I met my first time out in LA

Listening to Flower Festival right now. :music: So delightful!

I'm starting to become convinced that everything ends up sounding better if you place a drum-loop track in the background.

On 12/15/2017 at 4:19 PM, Loert said:

Listening to Flower Festival right now. :music: So delightful!

I'm starting to become convinced that everything ends up sounding better if you place a drum-loop track in the background.

Quick add drum-loops to every good score!

The version of  main theme in "Flower Festival" (from about 1.00) really reminds me of a piece of classical music, but can't think of which one. It's great btw.

That score is awfully hard to get a grasp on. Some moments are pure modern overwroughtness and in between are wonderfully comfy, delicate Berlioz-ian arrangements and somehow there must be an ideal reduction of both to a nice little album but i'm not there yet.