In what form do you listen to "The Force Awakens" the most?

Bespin

In what form do you listen to "The Force Awakens" the most?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. In what form do you listen to "The Force Awakens" score the most?

• The OST Album
    • The FYC Album
    • A playlist combining the two
    • A playlist with only few tracks
    • Lockhart's re-recordings
    • The movie
    • Star Wars is for children, I don't really listen to that kind of stuff!

Lately, as I've been relistening to TFA to get myself psyched up for TLJ, I've taken my chronological playlist of the OST and FYC but put March of the Resistance and Rey's theme directly after The Abduction and before Han and Leia. It splits the playlist up like the RCA OT releases into a nearly equal-length "disc 1 and disc 2" format, with concert suites at the beginning of disc 2. (I prefer to keep Scherzo for X-Wings before the OST version of Ways of the Force.) I really like this format—Rey's capture seems like a very natural break point in the score, and a good time to hear both concert suites for her character and the Resistance.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I listen to the Lockhart the most. It’s eighteen minutes of pure delight. I must admit, to my untrained ear the OST a bit of a slog, outside the material present in the suite. And of course the suite develops my favorite material, in eminently listenable form. I’ll probably listen to a fuller recording in some form or other (leaning towards the FYC) from time to time, but the Lockhart recording definitely the most. It scratches the itch just fine.

It also strikes me as perhaps more youthful and adventuresome than Williams’ recording, but, I’m shooting from the hip here and will have to listen to back-to-back comparisons sometime.

• 2 months later...

I got so used to listening to just the Lockhart performance of the suite that I was ready to expand it, especially after listening to the “Art of the Score” podcast. So here is my playlist (I generally put concert suites first for all movies):

BSO

01 March of the Resistance

02 Rey’s Theme

03 Scherzo for X-Wings

04 The Jedi Steps (concert)

FYC

05 The Attack on the Jakku Village Part 1
06 The Attack on the Jakku Village Part 2
07 The Scavenger
08 Lunchtime
09 I Can Fly Anything
10 Finn’s Trek
11 Follow Me and The Falcon

12 The Rathtars
13 Snoke
14 You Got a Name?

SHAG KAVA

15 Jabba Flow

FYC

16 I’m No Hero
17 The Starkiller
18 Kylo Ren Arrives at the Battle
19 The Resistance
20 The Abduction
21 Finn and Poe, United
22 The Bombing Run
23 On the Inside
24 Torn Apart
25 The Ways of the Force
26 The Journey Home
27 Farewell and The Trip
28 The Jedi Steps

BSO

29 Finale

30 Han and Leia (concert)

I usually stick with the OST. It is painful to listen to the 160 kbps FYC when the 1411 kbps OST already has most of the music with better edits than the film versions anyway.

Well, FWIW you don’t have to listen to the FYC at only 160 kbps.

For me, I avoid the OST because the sound mix adds a level of heaviness that just makes it oppressive to for very long. And it is long—yesterday I listened to all the cues on the OST which are not on my playlist, and, I can pretty safely say I don’t feel I’m missing anything good. The only thing the FYC is really missing is the full concert arrangements—and the OST performances of those are SORELY lacking in comparison with the BSO. Which, if you haven’t heard them, you must, it was a real eye-opener!

40 minutes ago, Drew said:

I usually stick with the OST. It is painful to listen to the 160 kbps FYC when the 1411 kbps OST already has most of the music with better edits than the film versions anyway.

The FYC album was not only available as a download from Disney's website; physical copies of the pressed FYC album are on ebay regularly.

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

The FYC album was not only available as a download from Disney's website; physical copies of the pressed FYC album are on ebay regularly.

I know. Most of us just don't have sixty portions to spend on it. Unless another audiophile ripped it to AIFF, but this isn't the place for that.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I've been listening to this score some more and I must say it's very good. I love the action in I Can Fly Anything and Scherzo for X-Wings. Rey's Theme is marvelous. We need a complete recordings still!