idril

Greetings all :)

Hello! I have happened upon this board a few times but have finally decided to sign up! I am an academic in the very early (and poverty-stricken!) stages of my career and an aspiring writer of fiction. I have been an obsessive fan of film/TV/game music since...well that's a tough one, but no doubt hearing John Williams' Harry Potter soundtracks at a young age had a lot to do with it. As a teenager, I discovered Basil Poledouris' Conan score and I'm pretty sure it was fundamental in shaping my identity in some way I can't quite describe. I now have a rather expansive/expensive collection of soundtracks with a particular focus on historical, fantasy and science fiction scores and am always hunting for new ones.

I spend a lot of time curating playlists on 8tracks.com where I am a DJ under the same username.

For all my love of film scores, I never have anyone to share my whirling thoughts about music with, so I hope to be able to join in some fun and interesting discussions here at JWfan! :)

21 hours ago, idril said:

I discovered Basil Poledouris' Conan score and I'm pretty sure it was fundamental in shaping my identity in some way I can't quite describe.

One of my all time favorites, for a few decades now.

21 hours ago, idril said:

Hello! I have happened upon this board a few times but have finally decided to sign up! I am an academic in the very early (and poverty-stricken!) stages of my career and an aspiring writer of fiction. I have been an obsessive fan of film/TV/game music since...well that's a tough one, but no doubt hearing John Williams' Harry Potter soundtracks at a young age had a lot to do with it. As a teenager, I discovered Basil Poledouris' Conan score and I'm pretty sure it was fundamental in shaping my identity in some way I can't quite describe. I now have a rather expansive/expensive collection of soundtracks with a particular focus on historical, fantasy and science fiction scores and am always hunting for new ones.

I spend a lot of time curating playlists on 8tracks.com where I am a DJ under the same username.

For all my love of film scores, I never have anyone to share my whirling thoughts about music with, so I hope to be able to join in some fun and interesting discussions here at JWfan! :)

Where in the UK are you? I'm an academic also in the UK (well, adjunct) in addition to my day job. What's your field of study?

Welcome to the boards! Poledouris' Conan is a great intro to film music...though in terms of shaping your identity, that's an interesting one. :)

3 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Where in the UK are you? I'm an academic also (well, adjunct) in addition to my day job. What's your field of study?

Welcome to the boards! Poledouris' Conan is a great intro to film music...though in terms of shaping your identity, that's an interesting one. :)

Thanks! I do medieval and Renaissance literary/intellectual history. How about you?

I'm based in London at the moment (I see you're in Oxford - I was there for a year and still miss it terribly!). 

Yeah Poledouris was something special and I always wish he got better, more high-profile opportunities outside of Conan and Verhoeven's classics. He did know how to make the best of scoring a B-level Steven Seagal film though!

As for the importance of Conan, the score but also the movie (and books and comics), on my personal journey of self-discovery - as I said, hard to describe! :lol: But in one particular way, I love soundtracks because they inspire me to write and create and Poledouris' score was an early and essential Muse.

35 minutes ago, idril said:

Thanks! I do medieval and Renaissance literary/intellectual history. How about you?

I'm based in London at the moment (I see you're in Oxford - I was there for a year and still miss it terribly!). 

Yeah Poledouris was something special and I always wish he got better, more high-profile opportunities outside of Conan and Verhoeven's classics. He did know how to make the best of scoring a B-level Steven Seagal film though!

As for the importance of Conan, the score but also the movie (and books and comics), on my personal journey of self-discovery - as I said, hard to describe! :lol: But in one particular way, I love soundtracks because they inspire me to write and create and Poledouris' score was an early and essential Muse.

I alternatively teach public international law, a trial skills workshop and occasionally other international law courses. In my day job I'm a consultant on international development projects. All that money people complain about that goes to foreign aid? That's me. :)  Before law school my BA was in history.

Good luck with your academic and writing career! It can be tough, but that which does not kill us makes us stronger. ;)

3 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

I alternatively teach public international law, a trial skills workshop and occasionally other international law courses. In my day job I'm a consultant on international development projects. All that money people complain about that goes to foreign aid? That's me. :)  Before law school my BA was in history.

Good luck with your academic and writing career! It can be tough, but that which does not kill us makes us stronger. ;)

Thank you! Yes it's a tough, long road but worth it to do things I love :)

And it sounds like you're doing some pretty worthy work one way or another!