James Horner's TITANIC (2017 4CD expanded edition from La-La Land Records)

Jay

Yeah, it's a funeral scene and Scotty's playing it onscreen (it's kind of a source cue), so there's no room for any question.

Well, the "outlawed tunes" in Braveheart are also diegetic, with highland pipes in view, and yet you hear Uileann ones...

Nevertheless, they sound very different. A good analogy would be the difference between a duduk and rhaita.

15 minutes ago, Holko said:

Yeah, it's a funeral scene and Scotty's playing it onscreen (it's kind of a source cue), so there's no room for any question.

11 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Well, the "outlawed tunes" in Braveheart are also diegetic, with highland pipes in view, and yet you hear Uileann ones...

Exactly! What you see played on screen isnt always what you hear.

You often see cowboys firing shotguns and it sounds like a cannon. 

I think it’s a fair question if someone hasn’t grown up hearing them. 

@NL197 Could you comment on two things?
- Why do we have two Alexander's Ragtime Band cues? Why would they bother to re-record it for the third disc of the anniversary set and why is the non-film version on the LLL set?
- Should An Ocean of Memories be in the main score program? On jameshornerfilmmusic, it's mentioned that it's a suite, but is this correct? Does that mean the film score should end with A Woman's Heart and then go to the song?

4 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

@NL197 Could you comment on two things?
- Why do we have two Alexander's Ragtime Band cues? Why would they bother to re-record it for the third disc of the anniversary set and why is the non-film version on the LLL set?
- Should An Ocean of Memories be in the main score program? On jameshornerfilmmusic, it's mentioned that it's a suite, but is this correct? Does that mean the film score should end with A Woman's Heart and then go to the song?

Alexander's Ragtime Band is a mystery, because the film version is on the Back To Titanic album, but the piano solo version - a version I'd never heard of until the LLL is...odd. We weren't given any reason or explanation about why it wasn't the film version. 

An Ocean of Memories was originally (like most of the score) meant for use in the film and was meant to end it - the edit that uses A Life So Changed, Rose and Unable to Stay, Unwilling to Leave is what replaced it, but yes it does belong in the main score program before the song / Post. 

I believe Ocean of Memories was intended for the aborted ending where Bill Paxton laughs maniacally. I remember playing it alongside the scene on the DVD and it seemed to match up.

15 hours ago, NL197 said:

I love the film version of 'Leaving Port' even more than that...that was a real pleasant surprise considering most of it was never heard before. 

Is this referring to track 7 or track 8 on disk 3?

Are any of tracks 9-16 "film versions"? (aside from the piano demo)

3 hours ago, Mooch said:

Is this referring to track 7 or track 8 on disk 3?

Are any of tracks 9-16 "film versions"? (aside from the piano demo)

The film version I was referring to is track 8. One of the album's true highlight cues (I for one have always loved the synth choir 'Titanic Theme'. It's my favorite theme in the score)

DISC 3
ADDITIONAL MUSIC AND ALTERNATES
1. Never an Absolution 3:06 - OST
2. Trailer 4:12 - Most of it unused
3. The Portrait [Album Version] 4:43 - Back To Titanic
4. Logo (Alternate Extended Version) 2:10 - Unused
5. 2 1/2 Miles Down (Alternate) 1:36 - Partly used in the film
6. Southampton (Alternate) 3:05 - Film Version
7. Leaving Port (with Alternate Ending) 3:00 - Like the OST track but with a slightly changed ending (fades out before woodwind and brass close)
8. Leaving Port (Alternate) 2:15 - Film Version (most of it unused)
9. Take Her to Sea, Mr. Murdoch (Alternate) 4:29 - Like the OST track but with changed ending (added brass fanfare)
10. Rose (Alternate) 2:58 - Film Version (different mix for the film)
11. Piano Theme—The Portrait 5:00 - Demo
12. Lovejoy Chases Jack (Alternate) 1:55 - unused
13. Hard to Starboard (Alternate) 6:50 - no synth
14. A Building Panic [Album Suite] 8:05 - Back To Titanic
15. Death of Titanic (Alternate) 8:29 - no synth (Film Version)
16. A Promise Kept (Alternate) 4:32 - Film Version
17. Hymn to the Sea 6:26 - OST
DISC 3 TOTAL TIME 72:52

5 hours ago, Philippe Roaché said:

I believe Ocean of Memories was intended for the aborted ending where Bill Paxton laughs maniacally. I remember playing it alongside the scene on the DVD and it seemed to match up.

It does indeed play well over the sequence. Not entirely, and the laughing moment doesn't seem to have a corresponding moment in the music, but it's a close fit otherwise. 

3 hours ago, MedigoScan said:

should be noted that 'Promise Kept' still uses the opening of the disc 2 version 

Correct, and according to the cue sheet the title for the version on disc 3 is called "A PROMISE KEPT (2ND PART REVISED)"

My custom arrangement of the score combines the first half (the OST version) with this revised version. 

Could you give timings for "Butterfly Comb" and the hidden "Lovejoy Chases Jack & Rose"?

Any other interesting cue sheet titles, that differ from the LLL tracklist, by the way?

The LLL track "The Promenade / Butterfly Comb" thankfully can be separated with a simple fade out / in between since they don't really overlap. Butterfly Comb starts at 1:31.5 seconds into the LLL track. 

I'm not sure what you mean by 'hidden' for the Lovejoy track, because that piece of music was pretty heavily edited in in the film and this is just the full recording of it (what was in the film was mostly tracked in from the score "Heaven Help Us". That tracked cue was re-titled "A Lucky Hand". 

The cue titles are similar but with added details like "2 1/2 Miles Down - Violin Tool Kit" for an insert that is actually not on the LLL. The bass line that opens the LLL 2 1/2 Miles Down alternate is called "Lo Pulse (sweetener)"

The film versions of cues all have 'Revised" next to their names: 

Southampton (revised)

Leaving Port (revised)

Take Her To Sea, Mr. Murdoch (revised)

Rose (revised)

and others like Hard to Starboard, Death of Titanic, etc. 

The Portrait demo is called "Original Piano Theme"

"Rose's Suicide Attempt" is just called 'Rose's Suicide'. 

"Lovemaking" is two cues - "Lovemaking part 1" and part 2.

The add-on to the end of "Hard To Starboard" on the LLL is called "Hard to Starboard - Extension".

"A Building Panic" has its opening as a separate piece crossfaded into the LLL version, titled "Intro to Building Panic". 

The opening to "Trapped on "D" Deck" which was used repeatedly in the film is called "Drone and Chord (wild)"

Thanks for this!

59 minutes ago, NL197 said:

I'm not sure what you mean by 'hidden' for the Lovejoy track, because that piece of music was pretty heavily edited in in the film and this is just the full recording of it (what was in the film was mostly tracked in from the score "Heaven Help Us". That tracked cue was re-titled "A Lucky Hand".

It was reported above that on the LLL disc 1 track there was a second, shorter and unused, version of the Lovejoy cue (two cues in one track, in other words).

1 hour ago, NL197 said:

"Rose's Suicide Attempt" is just called 'Rose's Suicide'. 

Rose's Suicide or Rose's Attempt?

The opening to "Trapped on "D" Deck" which was used repeatedly in the film is called "Drone and Chord (wild)"

Yeah Cameron sure was fond of this short bit of music

and 1:42-2:03 of Rose's Attempt (suicide?) which was repeated like 3 times

9 minutes ago, MedigoScan said:

1:42-2:03 of Rose's Attempt (suicide?) which was repeated like 3 times

That's the section I remembered from the film years ago, and obviously wasn't able to find it on the soundtrack.

Until I heard Titanic Suite which at the time I didn't know was a re-recording.

54 minutes ago, fommes said:

Thanks for this!

It was reported above that on the LLL disc 1 track there was a second, shorter and unused, version of the Lovejoy cue (two cues in one track, in other words).

Rose's Suicide or Rose's Attempt?

Rose's Suicide. No attempt.

4 hours ago, NL197 said:

Does this refer to the quiet opening at the beginning or the frantic piano action music? 

1 hour ago, MedigoScan said:

I presume the former

Yes, the low strings (which play a two note bit that sounds like a precursor to Zimmer's "Batman Begins" two-note brass theme) and soft, rumbling piano before the more frantic stuff. 

7 hours ago, NL197 said:

Yes, the low strings (which play a two note bit that sounds like a precursor to Zimmer's "Batman Begins" two-note brass theme) and soft, rumbling piano before the more frantic stuff. 

9 hours ago, MedigoScan said:

I presume the former

Ah. I'm never in a quiet place when I have a chance to listen to that music so I don't REALLY know what you're talking about.

I was reading the Back to Titanic interview on JAMES HORNER FILM MUSIC and I found this quote about the track "A Shore Never Reached" intriguing .

Jim spent a long time editing the film’s epilogue. As a result, I composed two cues for those scenes, and as it turned out, it’s a third cue that ended up in the film. The final cue was a montage of two cues I had composed for other scenes. The first one was An Ocean Of Memories, which was on the first album. The second is the one on 

Back To Titanic, I wanted to make sure it would not be lost. I just adapted it for the orchestra.

He says he composed two versions of "An Ocean Of Memories", neither of which was used. Does that mean the second one ("A Shore Never Reached") was never recorded, since it isn't on the new set?

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, I realize this thread is pretty much dead but I've been trying to figure something out. In the film version of the cue "2 1/2 miles Down" there is a section of music I can't locate. It plays as the submersible is entering one of the rooms and the camera moves over to a piano and we hear some piano notes, just before it transitions into the bass line is "2 1/2 Miles Down (Alternate)". Does anybody have any idea what that is?

There are some inserts Horner recorded that are not on the new set. 

One is called "2 1/2 Miles Down - Violin Tool Kit", and the other is "Wild Piano". Both are heard during this sequence in the film. 

The film version of Alexander's Ragtime Band is also missing from the set, annoyingly. This is one of the few source cues I specifically went looking for after watching the film, but there's only a piano version of the track on the set (despite not being used in the film?)

Yeah, I know the film version is on the Back To Titanic album, but I don't have that album, so... meh.

I guess LLL's methodology here was that the really diehard fans would probably have both previous releases (as BTT also has exclusive suites created for the film post-release) and it was better to include a different version of the track that was unreleased rather than re-release an existing version. Makes sense; just annoying if you don't have the existing album and it was one of the few source cues you actually wanted, due to its prominence in the film.

I'm guessing the addition of the film version (about 2:30) would've tipped disc 4 over LLL's maximum disc length policy? Its final runtime is 76:27

This was Neil's baby; You can't really question LLL as a whole about what is or isn't on here, it was all up to him

They should be on it. There's other stuff missing such as "For Those in Peril on the Sea" and Rose's music box that prevents it from being complete and definitive.

This is horse shit!

I'm listening to music from this set for the first time right now and I'm getting chills. It's obviously the greatest score for the greatest film ever. 

It's been 20 years and I can still feel the goosebumps. Horner left us his music and his ASMR interviews. And I knooow that the Horner will go oooooon!

On 2/1/2018 at 2:53 PM, NL197 said:

There are some inserts Horner recorded that are not on the new set. 

One is called "2 1/2 Miles Down - Violin Tool Kit", and the other is "Wild Piano". Both are heard during this sequence in the film. 

Any idea where I can find those outside of jointy95's video? 

On 12/1/2017 at 9:00 PM, TGP said:

One of the greatest Horner moments.

I still remember that moment in the theater.

Great militaristic sounding rendition of the love theme as they're fighting for their lives.

20 hours ago, Space Pineapple Prod. said:

Any idea where I can find those outside of jointy95's video? 

There was a leak of the 'film mix', taken from a template track used for the "Titanic Live" concerts. It wasn't 100% accurate to what's in the film in places, but it was so far the only source of the two cues as integrated into the larger edited sequence. All the fanmade videos and edits that'll be floating around will have used that as a source. 

1 hour ago, NL197 said:

There was a leak of the 'film mix', taken from a template track used for the "Titanic Live" concerts. It wasn't 100% accurate to what's in the film in places, but it was so far the only source of the two cues as integrated into the larger edited sequence. All the fanmade videos and edits that'll be floating around will have used that as a source. 

Well the video I mentioned seems to have it about right, at least better than others that I have seen. Do you think it'll ever be released?

Now that we're talking missing music... In the live concert during the sinking sequence (don't ask me when, I really don't remember) the choir had a brief solo moment twice, they sang a D minor and A minor chord (sopranos only). It was beautiful, but I can't find it on this set, or on the leak. Is it even in the final film? Where is it, WHERE IS IT?!

On 2/4/2018 at 2:27 PM, Philippe Roaché said:

Are we talking about the brief moment where you see artifacts and there are strings and vocals? Was that created editorially?

@NL197?

If you're referring to the shot of the porcelain doll face, shoe and glasses, that was created from two different bits of "Hymn To The Sea".

The "Violin Tool Kit" cue I'm referring to was heard twice in the sequence, very faintly. The second usage of it was immediately followed by the "Wild Piano" cue, which was heard when the ROV passes that submerged, broken piano before heading into the room where Cal's safe was located.