James Horner's TITANIC (2017 4CD expanded edition from La-La Land Records)

Jay

11 minutes ago, Corellian2019 said:

Perhaps it shows up on the isolated score

Of course it does, but they don't want to bother with fixing the PAL speedup and it's too lossy to bother anyway. 

Besides, I'm kidding. 

Glory Hallelujah. 

The LLL versions of A Building Panic and Trapped on D Deck are so much better than the BTT track. I never liked sequencing that in with the OST. Same with The Portrait for that matter. This expanded version is a wonder, truly.

16 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I wonder if we'll ever get a JWFan/Matessino-like interview about this release with Bulk in which he explains the choices he made.

I proposed to the editor of James Horner Film Music that we speak to them, and we were given their contact info, but I'm not sure if he did anything with it since because we've had our hands full with stuff. I'd absolutely love to get that sort of in-depth view of a Horner score album release. 

What does God need with a Starship? 
And what's the deal with homework? You're not working on your home!
Ovaltine. Ever had this stuff? The mug is round, the jar is round, they should call it 'Roundtine'. You know what I'm talking about. 

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

Where exactly does Beacon fit into the whole score? I've listened to this cue but honestly can't tell where it's supposed to be. Is it somewhere in A Promise Kept (Alt)?

Yes exactly. 

It was edited into both versions of A Promise Kept as heard in the film. It's heard immediately before Sissel begins singing when Jack dies. 

Since this is the big Horner thread at the moment, it appears that cellist Tina Guo (the Wonder Woman 'theme' from Batman v Superman) is performing "Theme From Cocoon" and "I See You" on a new James Horner album by Sony. You can find her performing excerpts on her Instagram and Facebook pages. 

Talking about one of my favorite things is always good. :)

I'm out of the other game elsewhere (as JHFan), except for my own personal enjoyment. 

People really seemed to take to that Wonder Woman thing, but honestly, The Batman stuff in that film has more of a melody to it than that. Glad you noticed the ' ' ;)

I don't think he does either. Why would he? Sure he was a nice person but he was a man of the times, and probably not going to give any regard to Jack anyway. 

Next question. A lot of people seem to assume that the track Promenade/Butterfly Comb consists of two tracks that were combined in unchronological order, but is there actually any evidence for this? Why would this be the only unchronological decision made throughout the whole set? Isn't it more likely that Horner wrote this one cue for one scene that ended up being changed? Ive also read that you can hear the separation at 1:31, but to the best of my knowledge, the fade-out isn't complete, so they either cross-faded the cues or it's just one cue.

It's confirmed if by nothing else than the 24 page PDF posted the other day, indicating "Promenade" is Scene 69 and Butterfly Comb is scene 99.  And they are not un-chronological inside the track; Buttefly Comb needs to broken out and go after "Rose".  "Promenade" is right where it belongs.  And yes the changeover is at 1:31, confirmed via the film's music stem leak.

I split up the two cues for my custom arrangement of the album and the two cues are slightly different in the performance and mixing. Butterfly Comb is a little softer, more distant. I think they were crossfaded but it wasn't much of an overlap. Making them stand alone was easy enough though. 

Sorry if this is an age-old debate or has been solved long ago, but is The Sinking "just" a partly used alternate for the first half of Death of Titanic?

The most recent Cameron approved animation looked pretty good to me. Broke apart near the surface but half submerged, remaining attached by the thick hill. As the stern went under, it pulled the bow vertical before finally detaching and sinking a minute or so before the bow went under.

2 hours ago, Holko said:

Sorry if this is an age-old debate or has been solved long ago, but is The Sinking "just" a partly used alternate for the first half of Death of Titanic?

I think its just the original music intended for the scene before the 'death of the titanic' (before it got half replaced by tracked music)

which ends around the time the water breaks through the glass ceiling and floods every room

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

The most recent Cameron approved animation looked pretty good to me. Broke apart near the surface but half submerged, remaining attached by the thick hill. As the stern went under, it pulled the bow vertical before finally detaching and sinking a minute or so before the bow went under.

"the thick hill"? Really?!  :lol:

That 2012 speculative animation of the new breakup theory was perhaps even more horrifying than the way it was shown in the movie. The ass end wouldn't have gotten as high out of the water, but in the final moments, it would have gone very quickly, throwing everyone off and slipping under in a matter of seconds.

On ‎21‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 8:51 PM, MedigoScan said:

I think its just the original music intended for the scene before the 'death of the titanic' (before it got half replaced by tracked music)

which ends around the time the water breaks through the glass ceiling and floods every room

Having a film version of The Sinking would be too jarring and repetitive so I edited The Sinking and Death of Titanic using the OST tracks, and bridging them together with the small section from A Building Panic for where the Grand Stair case floods.. It makes for a whole better listening experience.

I used that film mix stem leak whatchamacallit for the following: 

The pipe-less segment from "Unable To Stay, Unwilling To Leave", and I had to fix a flaw in the rhythm in one part of it (since the edits in the film are so haphazard at times) which is in my main program.

The film mix of "Rose", since it was just mixing differences and no actual cuts, as part of the bonus material.

A proper ending to the "Intro To Building Panic" since it was crossfaded on the LLL. 

A guideline / template to make "Southampton" a film mix, but not with the cuts to shorten segments of the music, but just to add in the elements missing from the as-written cue (piano opening from 'Promenade', chimes and slower strings from the trailer) in addition to my own take on the film edit of "Leaving Port" which I recreated using the 'Heaven Help Us' track. 
That's all bonus material stuff, not main program. 

That's all I used the film stem for. 

Probably a bit less that. The bits I'm aware of:

- Opening - something's wrong/different about the voice solo near the start

- pre-credits/finale cue - the transition into the Unwilling alternate is slightly different in the film

- The cue tracked from another score/album during Jack's death.

The differences make it feel to me like someone with the sessions recreated the film mix for the projection preparation, and didn't quite get some of the edits right. If the leak were taken from the actual stem, surely they'd only be fiddling with layers, not edits?