James Horner's TITANIC (2017 4CD expanded edition from La-La Land Records)

Jay

Just redid the "Unable To Stay" film mix, using the OST version with jointy95's Blu-Ray rip and a small chunk of the film stem to remove those dialogue echoes.  There was only a small part of the film stem that I needed because of audio issues.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, TitanicFan2018 said:

Hard to Starboard reminds me of both Al Bathra and Tchaikovsky's Romeo and Juliet fantasy overture.

Al Bathra was better, and the idea as it relates to Horner's work had its beginnings in Krull. 

Take the LLL cue "Hard to Starboard (Extension)" and go to 5:30; that passage with racing strings and anvil strikes reminds me somewhat of Romeo and Juliet where you have two passages of racing strings with short cymbal crashes.

In this performance of Romeo and Juliet, the passages occur 6:28-6:40 and again from 13:08-13:20.

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 9:28 PM, Richard Penna said:

In this particular case, yes, a set made entirely of film edits is jarring and not very pleasant. I kept 3 or so for my playlist. I had the film edit of the sinking sequence for a while before reverting to the LLL tracks.

For me there's a major difference between something like the sinking sequence which is a giant mess of repeated/looped/rearranged bits, and some of the smaller instances where a track was repurposed for an important scene and leaves no blatant evidence that it was tracked. The two that stuck out to me are one of the brief lifeboat scenes which ends with Rose's Suicide Attempt and Rose rescuing Jack which brilliantly uses 2 1/2 Miles Down. In total I believe I have 3 film edits with the rest pretty much just the LLL main program (with Rose's theme 95% removed).

Hi guys, sorry for the late reply here. I don't frequent these forums much anymore.

As much as the score works in the film the edits are hidden under sound effects and dialogue so you don't hear just how bad or jarring the edits can be. So I decided to make my own version. It's still not film accurate but it flows so much better. I used the OST track The Sinking, added a short section from A Building Panic for Astor's Death then included Death of Titanic for a single 13 minute track. I think it flows together really well and adds the music from an key scene that was missing. 

• 3 weeks later...

Even my recreated film edits are more musically sound than what you hear in the film, but they're still a jarring listening experience albeit to a lesser extent.  I'd choose the score presentation (w/ film version cues in their proper order) over the film edits any day.

By the way it's almost been a year since LLL released the entire score for Titanic.

They sold 3 thousand units of it in less than a year at $50 a pop, and what the hell does Harry Potter have to do with Titanic?

Let’s compare 50 shades trilogy to Star Wars trilogy. Superman to The Departed. 

Because that makes sense. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/24/2018 at 12:27 PM, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

Titanic is better than everything.

It's one of my favorite film scores, but it can't be compared to other scores like Braveheart, the LoTR films (composed by Howard Shore), etc.

On 12/9/2018 at 3:05 PM, TitanicFan2018 said:

It's one of my favorite film scores, but it can't be compared to other scores like Braveheart, the LoTR films (composed by Howard Shore), etc.

Actually it can because it is superior to Braveheart and it towers over those overrated Lotr scores

6 minutes ago, John said:

Titanic doesn't come close to being as good as those scores. Braveheart, maybe, but certainly not LOTR.

It's not even Horner's best score, IMO.

In your world but there are those of us who cant stand Lotr. Hell Sorcerer's Stone  is better and more magical but I will say lotr is better than A.I.

Film wise Titanic is better than all of them.

If it weren't for Goldsmith's sickness, he should have scored these. Battle of the giants (Williams vs. Goldsmith) and a fitting swan song for JG. Horner at this point had shot his wad on fantasy movies. I don't care remotely enough about the Shore's to let this impossible dream die.

32 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

Lord of the Rings > Titanic > Braveheart 

Score or film? Score-wise, they're all infused with Celtic sensibilities, so I guess you could compare (and therefore rank) them on those grounds.

Film-wise, The Lord of the Rings has got to be the odd one out. Its different in its genre, its scope, its format (multiple parts versus one feature) and alot of its sensibilities. So, I just don't see a point in ranking it compared to Titanic, or even Braveheart.

Between the latter two, I prefer Braveheart - film and score - to Titanic. But we already had a whole thread dedicated to that subject, so...

5 hours ago, Chen G. said:

No, on all accounts.

Your opinion is meaningless. Not even worth consideration.  You're still on probation for your idiotic statements on TESB.

Joe can you please be nice to other members and not belittle them for their opinions.  Disagreeing is of course completely fine but is there any reason to be so rude?

23 minutes ago, Jay said:

Joe can you please be nice to other members and not belittle them for their opinions.  Disagreeing is of course completely fine but is there any reason to be so rude?

Jay please stuff it. Perhaps I should have put a smiley face so it was clear it was a joke regarding old business.

And for the matter for once you should fcuking chastise someone who is rude to me. Just do it once. Perhaps it will kill you perhaps not.  Either way you WILL never do it.

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

Rude to you?  What?

I am sorry was I not clear? There have been several rude remarks towards me recently, most were humorous and perhaps well deserved however you as a moderater/admin said nothing to acknowledge or admonish those posts. 

But you are quick to admonish me.

Your fairness and consistency  is most appreciated. That is sarcasm. 

Wojo try some jalapeno cheese dip with the popcorn

Oh I thought you meant I was rude to you, which I didn't remember being.

If others have been rude to you, I apologize for missing those posts, I don't have time to read every post in every thread these days.  There is a Report Post function you can use to draw attention to them.

I certainly wish that nobody here would be rude to anybody else here, there is no favoritism in that regard.  

On 4/5/2018 at 11:12 AM, filmmusic said:

There are some basic rules of politeness that I think discriminate us from animals.

i think it's better to be constructive than destructive and pit one against the other.

Filmmusic is a sweet guy.

Wojo. I also getva cup of the nacho cheese at the theatre to dip my popcorn.  I also get lots of napkins.

20 hours ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

What the hell are you people going on about? Are you ready to go back to Titanic?

Not without you.

Anyways, I just played the film version of "Leaving Port" over the sequence where Jack and Fabrizzio race to the ship before it departs Southampton.  And it worked well.  If only Cameron didn't replace it with the butchered "Heaven Help Us" music as well the ending of the "Southampton" OST version (I like that the chimes were added though).

On 12/11/2018 at 11:52 AM, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

What the hell are you people going on about? Are you ready to go back to Titanic?

During Christmas break I will play my Titanic 4k disc. 😉

57 minutes ago, TitanicFan2018 said:

And I will listen to my custom complete score.

Just in case you didn't realize I am joking. The Titanic 4k is still off in the future. But I can dream.