James Horner's TITANIC (2017 4CD expanded edition from La-La Land Records)

Jay

The first sample really hyped me up, but the next ones slowly took my will to actually pay for all this away. I'll definitely try to give it a full listenthrough to see if it's not so bad after all, but for now I'm sticking with the 19-minute Titanic Suite, which is one of my all-time favourite pieces of music. This might be one instance where I'd prefer if there was a digital release so I could buy a few cues I liked, but not the entire expensive set for a bunch of horrible sounding synths. When are Tadlow going to rerecord this? :)

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I wouldn't even know how to begin a project like that.  I'd feel like a poser.

This is exactly what I mean. It’s a huge score to a huge film and the score is chopped to buts within said film. 

You have this 4 disc release but you’d probably have to at least talk about Back to Titanic and probably the OST too...

It’s not for someone’s first analysis!

2 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Why? If there's no analysis of a score you like, and you feel like there should be one, there's no reason you shouldn't try to have a go at it. That doesn't make you a poser or anything, just someone who is passionate about something and wants to share that passion with others (even if the end result isn't a great analysis, at least that'll be a start, and that may even encourage other people to do their own, more in-depth analysis). I don't see anything wrong with that.

The only thing wrong with that would be if you chose a really shitty score, like say, I don't know... The Dark Knight Rises...

Then start with something smaller, like The Hobbit trilogy.

Ah the Horse is doing the Hobbit and his book will probably be released before I could get an analysis done! 

29 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Alright I see where this is going.  Yes, I will do it for a very reasonable fee which can be paid by a JWFan group donation.

If this is indeed the will of the council, JWfan will see it done

It's funny that they call it "John Ryan's Polka" on the tracklist. I've only ever heard it referred to over here as "Jack Ryan's Polka". A quick look on youtube and it seems John is used quite a bit but I don't know if that's as a result of the film or not. 

59 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I wouldn't even know how to begin a project like that.  I'd feel like a poser.

Want to see some real poser work?  Look for the Phantom Menace Ultimate Edition analysis that a 15 year old mstrox with no musical knowledge wrote on this very site! http://www.jwfan.com/?p=3006

2 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Having listened to these samples I know that I won't give this score another chance. Why must it be so over the top cheesy and synthy?

Maybe I'll try in 5 years again. For all fans of this score: Enjoy!

You can be blasé about some things Brundlefly but not about Titanic.

4 hours ago, mstrox said:

Want to see some real poser work?  Look for the Phantom Menace Ultimate Edition analysis that a 15 year old mstrox with no musical knowledge wrote on this very site! http://www.jwfan.com/?p=3006

That's awesome!

I thought the film version of the Portrait cue, much to Horner's frustration, ended up being a rough demo he sent to Cameron that was never meant to be used in the film? Then the version on Back to Titanic was a different take (less rough) that was also not the film version.

Now it's synth? I'm sure the liner notes will reveal all! Can't wait.

I've held out all this time waiting for this to be expanded, so I'm not very familiar with the existing releases. Once I get the new set, I think I'll try and put together a disc of all the leftovers from the OST and Back to Titanic that weren't included. If anyone does something similar, or does a thorough comparison between the new set and the earlier releases, I'd appreciate any insight!

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's a release of all the music Horner recorded in 1997 to be used in the film, not a release of stuff recorded after the fact

Yes but doesn’t the ET release include the music from the ride? I suspect:

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's a release of all the music Horner recorded in 1997 to be used in the film, not a release of stuff recorded after the fact

Is the real reason. Same as why the song isn’t on it. 

Just now, BloodBoal said:

To be fair, the ET Ride music was previously not available commercially, while the suites can be obtained via the Back To Titanic album.

Exactly!

It's pomegranates and plums!

So it sounds like the only thing on the OST that's not on this set is track 14, "My Heart Will Go On", and the only tracks from Back to Titanic that aren't included are track 1 "Titanic Suite", track 10 "A Shore Never Reached", and track 13 "Epilogue - The Deep and Timeless Sea".

Did I miss anything? I'm a n00b, please explain like I'm five. Thanks!

Well, I am hardly an expert on this score, but I just threw this together

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vSnIMfVnxYWxEVWI7LS34V2SL4EBfPqnCnay33whNkgHidZK1QGaGHmCz5VcmhqFcYhwm20rMNL51jd/pubhtml

I honestly don't know what Lament or Jack Dawson's Luck are....

And the versions of Come Josephine and Nearer My God on BTT tracks 8 and 12 are re-recordings and not what was used in the film AFAIK.

Someone who knows the score better should help us out!

I may be wrong but Jack Dawson’s Luck was supposed to play over the scene of him running to the shop after winning the tickets but the music was tracked with the music from Lovejoy chasing him later in the film. I think, it’s been years since I’ve seen the film.

I just found a video of Lament on youtube and the commenters are saying its something some guy in Ireland (Eugene Daly?) played as the ship sailed away? 

So it has nothing to do with the film?