James Horner's TITANIC (2017 4CD expanded edition from La-La Land Records)

Jay

27 minutes ago, Jay said:

I honestly don't know what Lament or A Shore Never Reached are, so they are just grouped with the LSO suite for now.

A Shore Never Reached is part of the suite. It's listed as performed by the London Symphony Orchestra.

Yea, I figured that out and updated my spreadsheet and you got me before I edited my post :)

I've gone and put Jack Dawson's Luck, Come Josephine In My Flying Machine (Maire Brennan). Lament. and Nearer My God To Thee (Eileen Ivers) (into a final "Inspired By" music section, seems to make the most sense.  They have nothing to do with the film AFAIK.

Jack Dawson's Luck is not in the film at all.

Lament is an Irish trad tune (or at least features) A Spailpín A Rún

So you're correct in leaving them both off

1 minute ago, bollemanneke said:

Thank you for this! Didn't even realise Jack Dawson's good luck was just an unused alternate... 

I don't think we have any kind of official confirmation its an unused alternate, Bilbo Skywalker just said he "may be wrong" and he thinks it "was supposed to" play over a certain scene.

It could very well just be something they threw on the BTT CD despite it having no origins from the film itself whatsoever, like Lament.

Just now, Jay said:

I don't think we have any kind of official confirmation its an unused alternate, Bilbo Skywalker just said he "may be wrong" and he thinks it "was supposed to" play over a certain scene.

It could very well just be something they threw on the BTT CD despite it having no origins from the film itself whatsoever, like Lament.

I haven't got the CD to hand to check but the more I think about the more I'm convinced it'a a piece written after the film especially for BTT. 

I think Horner just wanted to play around writing some straight up Irish trad music. 

This is what's in the film:

Ah there's some beautiful Uilleann pipe playing in Lament!

The music in the film really is chopped to pieces. I think even Attack of the Clones fared better!

Right so this is not by Horner:

And it plays over the scene shown in the thumbnail and you can hear it in this scene too:

Jack Dawson's Luck has the same Uilleann/Bellows sound at the very start:

and seems to be a version of this which is Lovejoy Chases Jack from disc 3 of the LaLaLand release. 

http://johndadlez.com/MP3/Titanic/3_12_LCJ_A.mp3

I wonder if this was what was originally meant to underscore this scene but Cameron went for the non Horner piece that is in the final film. 

Although going by the review from the Horner website of the LLL release it would appear that the track on Disc 1 is actually the piece from the film. 

So I think Jack Dawson's Luck is an expanded re-recording of an unused alternate which is based on an actual trad Irish tune. 

God that's complicated. I'll need the LLL release to be sure though!

I'm sure none of this is of any interest to you Jay but... there you go. 

I guess at least it looks like Jack Dawson's Luck is at least based on something Horner intended for the score even if it didn't end up in there in the end. 

I think I need to see the film again to be a bit more familiar with the music in the film before I get my copy. 

8 hours ago, Bilbo said:

Agreed!

Oooooog "LaLa Land Employee3 has sent you a package"

In my 4 times ordering from LLL, I've never once received a shipping email. Do they not do them for international orders or something?

I don't mind dialogue if it's narration (Hannibal), but I hate it when the lines are just stupid and taken out of context. It's absurd to hear Rose scream that she can't do this unless you know she's dancing. Who'd want to have that on their CD? For what purpose?

19 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I don't mind dialogue if it's narration (Hannibal), but I hate it when the lines are just stupid and taken out of context. It's absurd to hear Rose scream that she can't do this unless you know she's dancing. Who'd want to have that on their CD? For what purpose?

Yeah listening to An Irish Party in Third Class is hilarious. All the “woo hoos “ “yeahs” and so on sound painfully obvious that they came from ADR when you hear them without seeing the picture”

Leonard Nemoy’s narration ruins WoK though and I’m not buying the set which has the narration less track  

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

In my 4 times ordering from LLL, I've never once received a shipping email. Do they not do them for international orders or something?

I have always gotten a shipping confirmation from them for my orders.

3 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

So, Inky, when will you finally volunteer to do an in-depth analysis of this score?

I started looking at some stuff last night. 

I don’t think it’s a particularly complex score as written. There’s not 55 million leitmotifs to try and keep track of but the music as heard in the film is a Frankenstein. It’s all over the place! 

You tricked me into this! 

Someone else is welcome to do this. 

I haven’t seen the film in full in years so I need to rectify that. I also won’t be getting the LLL release until Xmas so it’s going to take me a lot of time. 

I’ll also need to read some of the analysis done on other scores here to get some pointers having never done this before. 

Inky is welcome to the job though 😬

Thanks for the spreadsheet, Jay. That'll help!

Still no confirmation email received, though, even though PayPal has charged my bank account. Is anyone else experiencing this?

1 minute ago, Bilbo said:

You tricked me into this! 

Someone else is welcome to do this. 

I haven’t seen the film in full in years so I need to rectify that. I also won’t be getting the LLL release until Xmas so it’s going to take me a lot of time. 

I’ll also need to read some of the analysis done on other scores here to get some pointers having never done this before. 

Keep it simple: start with a general presentation of the film and then the score. Then present the various themes found in it, and finally write a track-by-track analysis, detailing the music found in each one and the footage it underscores (and if you feel like it, also mentions which part of each track went unused and what it was replaced with). Good luck!

1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

Keep it simple: start with a general presentation of the film and then the score. Then present the various themes found in it, and finally write a track-by-track analysis, detailing the music found in each one and the footage it underscores (and if you feel like it, also mentions which part of each track went unused and what it was replaced with). Good luck!

I should get all of that done in time for the 25th anniversary! 

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

When you order, do you choose “order as guest?”

40 minutes ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

Thanks for the spreadsheet, Jay. That'll help!

Still no confirmation email received, though, even though PayPal has charged my bank account. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Yes, still no e-mail either.

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

So, Inky, when will you finally volunteer to do an in-depth analysis of this score?

When moon turns blue from the cold. Wait for that as a sign for me to even consider doing it.

39 minutes ago, mstrox said:

When you order, do you choose “order as guest?”

I always order as guest and get updates and shipping info. 

I placed mine late Tuesday and haven’t received any updated info or had my order updated on the web. But I imagine the volume of orders are responsible.

24 minutes ago, Incanus said:

When moon turns blue from the cold. Wait for that as a sign for me to even consider doing it.

So you’re just going to leave it to me? On my ownsome? I thought we were Latin buddies 😢

Ahh, a spreadsheet! Thank you, Jay. And Bilbo, thanks for your thoughts as well. I think anything Horner wrote or arranged either for the film, or for the albums, is worthy of including in our edits (at least in the bonus tracks). It sounds like the music heard outside the score proper is going to be a whole experience all on its own.

Speaking of that:  I think that "The Portrait" on Back To Titanic, the piano solo performed by James Horner, is another example of something recorded after the fact, something he made just for BTT.  It's not the original demo that Cameron ended up putting in the film (I'm guessing that's "Piano Theme—The Portrait" on disc 3 of the LLL).

So I think its the only example of something that wasn't recorded at the time of the film, appearing on the LLL set...and I think it belongs at the bottom of the spreadsheet with the other non-film stuff.

What do you think?

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

Speaking of that:  I think that "The Portrait" on Back To Titanic, the piano solo performed by James Horner, is another example of something recorded after the fact, something he made just for BTT.  It's not the original demo that Cameron ended up putting in the film (I'm guessing that's "Piano Theme—The Portrait" on disc 3 of the LLL).

So I think its the only example of something that wasn't recorded at the time of the film, appearing on the LLL set...and I think it belongs at the bottom of the spreadsheet with the other non-film stuff.

What do you think?

That's right, the piece on Back to Titanic was recorded for that album, not sure if the performance is by Horner though. The track on the LLL edition called Piano theme is Horner's original recording that he sent to Cameron and which was then used in the film (the first 2 minutes).

Right.  But doesn't the album specifically say "piano solo by James Horner" on it somewhere?  Maybe not.

If not, who is the PERFORMER of  "The Portrait", "Jack Dawson's Luck", and "Lament" on BTT?

I just looked at the back of my BTT CD and it actually does say piano sol performed by James Horner. There's no info about who performs Jack Dawson's Luck or Lament though.

Well, I moved the BTT Portrait track to the bottom of hte spreadsheet in the "Inspired By" section for now.

Maybe the booklet of the LLL release will shed light on things.

These are excerpts from the review posted a few pages back. 

Would i I be right in saying there was the more synth demo which we’ve never heard before (image 2 below)

The actual piano demo with performance by Horner that was used in the film

Horner’s own performance re-recorded for BTT?

C4B23634-3228-438F-B4B7-F041652692DD.png

3B3F6E00-0A18-4EB4-B393-4F9BD93D5DFA.png

97F718F6-996E-41A2-9413-1098B32D65FA.png