James Horner's TITANIC (2017 4CD expanded edition from La-La Land Records)

Jay

2 minutes ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

Was this ever confirmed as being complete and in chronological order? There appears to be some odd sequencing going on here and there.

Neil mentioned on FSM that they decided to treat the score as the expansion of the OST. So most of the time they decided to go with album versions in the main programme. But it doesn't really matter as the score is so butchered within the film. Any sequence is fine for me. And yeah, it contains everything recorded for the film sans the song.

Karol

On 12/16/2017 at 6:59 PM, Mr. Breathmask said:

Was this ever confirmed as being complete and in chronological order? There appears to be some odd sequencing going on here and there.

It is complete as far as what Horner recorded, yes. And it's chronological too, except Lovejoy Chases Jack and Rose contains 2 versions of the cue in the same track.

EDIT: I was wrong - "Butterfly Comb" belongs after "Rose", not before it.

EDIT2: Also, there are some extremely short inserts not included

Sounds like everyone's been having bad luck lately. We get a shitty SW movie, crumbs is missing a Titanic disc, I've been fighting off a flea infestation, Kristina Keneally lost the seat of Bennelong, Disney swallowed up Fox. It's all too much!

4 of those 5 things aren't important!!!! I'm absolutely livid right now. And of all the missing discs, it's the first one, so I can't even start playing the set!

I wouldn't be so angry if Disc 4 was missing or something, at least I could start playing the rest. And with their shipping department now closed, this probably won't be resolved until the end of January. :angry::angry::angry: 

6 hours ago, Jay said:

It is complete as far as what Horner recorded, yes. And it's chronological too, except Lovejoy Chases Jack and Rose contains 2 versions of the cue in the same track.

And yet Butterfly Comb is placed before Rose and A Building Panic sounds like it cobbles together several cues from different points in the film. It starts with music that plays much later, followed by music that plays under Rose looking for Jack. Yet the track is placed after Rose Frees Jack. Was that really all tracked in the film and not written for those scenes or is the CD program just out of order?

24 minutes ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

And yet Butterfly Comb is placed before Rose and A Building Panic sounds like it cobbles together several cues from different points in the film. It starts with music that plays much later, followed by music that plays under Rose looking for Jack. Yet the track is placed after Rose Frees Jack. Was that really all tracked in the film and not written for those scenes or is the CD program just out of order?

In terms of its usage in the film, 'A Building Panic' is all over the place. The first two minutes of the cue are used in the film twice (racing strings, snare and pounding percussion), once for the "For God's Sake there's women and children down here!" moment, and again under the scene where one lifeboat is coming down right on top of another.

It's actually a standalone cue, called "Intro to Building Panic" and crossfaded into the larger cue. 

The album is largely in intended order, but yes it's clear they went also for a listening experience when combining the two piano solo cues Promenade and Butterfly Comb into one. 

Is it just me or is LaLaLand starting to mess with the "complete and chronological" a bit. Nothing makes my eyes roll quite like "Intended listening experience". Give me everything and in the right order with no combined cues and I'll decide on my own listening order thank you very much. 

18 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

Is it just me or is LaLaLand starting to mess with the "complete and chronological" a bit. Nothing makes my eyes roll quite like "Intended listening experience". Give me everything and in the right order with no combined cues and I'll decide on my own listening order thank you very much. 

You can always split the cues and place them in the right order. A bit of the reverb tail from the first cue is often present at the beginning of the second one though, after splitting...

1 hour ago, Bilbo said:

Chronological maybe, but they're absolutely still complete!!!!

I don't particularly care if the presentation on disc is chronological, and if more minor cues are moved to a bonus section, as long as it's possible to rearrange it.

One area I think all the labels need to think about a bit more is where a film version differs drastically from the intended version and it's not possible (usually due to mixing) to re-create the film version using the materials we have. I'm in the camp that buys scores to hear what I heard in the film, not some weird alternate version. There's a big difference between recreating micro-edits, and presenting stripped down mixes that allow us to hear what was in the film.

The most prominent recent example being Ripples. In an otherwise outstanding set, I still think the film version (sub-mixes, loops and all) could have been included as a bonus track.

58 minutes ago, Jay said:

Chronological maybe, but they're absolutely still complete!!!!

I didn’t mean that they left anything out but I see “complete and chronological” as a package and I dislike when it’s messed with.

Put alternate track lists or “listening experiences” in the booklet. 

On 12/15/2017 at 1:40 PM, Jay said:

Oh.  Then we're not close by.

I would totally take you up on this. We could play Jerry Goldsmith's theme from The Waltons every day.

Hmm, so are you saying this is the chronological order of the Main Program of the LLL set?

1-01 Logo / Main Title 2:28
1-02 2 1/2 Miles Down 10:33
1-03 To the Keldysh / Rose Revealed 1:43
1-04 Distant Memories 2:24
1-05 My Drawing / Relics & Treasures 1:52
1-06 Southampton 4:00
1-07 Leaving Port 3:27
1-08 Take Her to Sea, Mr Murdoch 4:31
1-09 First Sighting / Rose’s Suicide Attempt 3:05
1-10 Jack Saves Rose 1:42
1-11A The Promenade

1-12 Rose 2:54

1-11B Butterfly Comb
1-13 The Portrait 1:58
1-14 Lovejoy Chases Jack and Rose 2:24
1-15 Lovemaking 2:26
1-16 Hard to Starboard (Extended Version) 7:42
1-17 Rose Frees Jack 2:41
2-01 A Building Panic (Film Version) 7:25
2-02 Unable to Stay, Unwilling to Leave 3:56
2-03 Trapped on “D” Deck 8:46
2-04 Murdoch’s Suicide 0:37
2-05 The Sinking 5:06
2-06 Death of Titanic 8:25
2-07 A Promise Kept 6:03
2-08 A Life so Changed 2:14
2-09 A Woman’s Heart Is a Deep Ocean of Secrets 1:43
2-10 An Ocean of Memories 8:00

2-11 Post 2:44

?

Why doesn't "Lovejoy Chases Jack and Rose" appear in your list?

29 minutes ago, NL197 said:

I've actually done that: 

This is the CHRONOLOGICAL order of the score, I've done for my iPod, where I've split the crossfaded cues: 

I made similar edits, mixing clean openings with the cross faded LLL cues. Then I also made "film version" edits where I extended sections etc to make it musically a better and less choppy listening experience.

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

Hmm, so are you saying this is the chronological order of the Main Program of the LLL set?

Yes, unless you want to started editing A building Panic and Trapped on D-Deck.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Who said:

Also, technically the second cue in lovemaking is an alt. The film version can be found in the Rose cue.

Wait, what?  Can you explain that better?

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

Wait, what?  Can you explain that better?

The first cue in "Lovemaking" is in the film but the second part is replaced in the film with a bit from the track Rose. I'll try to find the exact time

Oh wait up now, you're talking about Cameron's film tracking and stuff, which is different than what we're trying to accomplish here, wich is the intended chronological order of Horner's intended full cues.

3 minutes ago, crocodile said:

So basically, other than the The Promenade, Rose and Butterfly Comb situation, it is pretty much chronological then.

Karol

Yes!

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Oh wait up now, you're talking about Cameron's film tracking and stuff, which is different than what we're trying to accomplish here, wich is the intended chronological order of Horner's intended full cues.

Ah yes I meant how it was in the film, when talking about lovemaking.

Just now, Stefancos said:

So this new release is not even chronological?

It's almost chronological. LLL chose to combine a few cues.

10 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

So this new release is not even chronological?

From what I can tell, EXACTLY one cue is SLIGHTLY out of chronological order.  Neil put "Butterfly Comb" before "Rose", instead of after "Rose".  That's it.

Oh, and he snuck a shorter, unused version of "Lovejoy Chases Jack" inside the same track as the longer version, instead of putting it in the bonus track section.

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

Why doesn't "Lovejoy Chases Jack and Rose" appear in your list?

I didn't include 'Lovejoy Chases Jack and Rose' because it honestly stuck out too much. I added it to one of the other bonus albums I did instead. Otherwise yes your list is chronological. 

I have 2 albums. The score as Horner intended which is almost like the LLL + alts and suites from Back to titanic etc and one album where the score is represented like it is in the film. To achieve that I did a lot of editing but extended many bits to make it a better enlisting experience.

So then to answer Mr B's question here:

11 hours ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

A Building Panic sounds like it cobbles together several cues from different points in the film. It starts with music that plays much later, followed by music that plays under Rose looking for Jack. Yet the track is placed after Rose Frees Jack. Was that really all tracked in the film and not written for those scenes or is the CD program just out of order?

The answer is the former - the LLL presents all this material in the order Horner intended it to be heard, and Cameron messed with it.

19 minutes ago, Mr. Who said:

The first cue in "Lovemaking" is in the film but the second part is replaced in the film with a bit from the track Rose. I'll try to find the exact time

Yes, it's the ending of 'Rose' but with most of the elements dialed down and the flute is pitched up. 

20 hours ago, crocodile said:

Neil mentioned on FSM that they decided to treat the score as the expansion of the OST. So most of the time they decided to go with album versions in the main programme. But it doesn't really matter as the score is so butchered within the film. Any sequence is fine for me. And yeah, it contains everything recorded for the film sans the song.

Karol

What is it with them trying to expand OSTs? That's exactly what killed Hook.

1 minute ago, bollemanneke said:

What is it with them trying to expand OSTs? That's exactly what killed Hook.

In a sense that they decided to go with the album versions of some cues. I don't really care. It's not difficult to personalise your playlist.

Karol

I don't really understand why people are so okay with these things just because they can arrange their own playlists. If I buy a CD, I like the order of the tracks to be to my liking because otherwise playing them would be pointless. Excluding film versions from the main programme for me is just stupid.

If I buy expansions, I do both. If the expansions are so unsatisfactory that I only want to rip them and create an entire new listening experience (Back to the Future 1 and 2), I don't even bother buying them.

It's like the Close Encounters nonsense. Putting the tracks in an order to represent a vinyl release that never happened but it's only an approximation of what that list would have been? Its silly. Just put the tracks in order and if they want to provide alternate tracklists print them in the booklet. They're already doing a great job there's no need to over egg the pudding. 

Saying that, at least they didn't try and recreate the awful film mix or something. 

So, Titanic has the  same "problem" (it depends on how anyone sees it) with Close Encounters?

Oh, boy. I hope this approach isn't adopted from now on.

If we'd like an album presentation we have the osts.

No need to do the same for the expansions!

If I buy a complete score cd I wouldn't like to have to make edits, arrange cues, put reverbs etc!

(after all I don't rip any cd to my hard drive)

These official releases are supposed to make all those bootlegs out there obsolete!

I have to say, I really enjoy the way 2 1/2 miles down sets the stage for some parts of the score that come later - first the ominous sequence of deep synth chords, then this new theme sung by the voice, and then, while a second vocal enters below and the key shifts, the synth sequence returns as the ostinato the theme is based on... Somehow this buildup is very satisfying to listen to. And of course now the orchestral reprise in Distant Memories leading into the upbeat Keldysh music (which was previously the only occurence of this theme on the ost) feels much more connected and works as a payoff after the development it got in track 2.

People in this thread are making a big to-do over nothing at all.

So Butterfly Comb appears before Rose instead of after Rose. Big deal!

And the main program contains the versions of cues Horner wanted to be heard. Cameron messed with all of his intentions in the final cut of the film. Recreating those edited hack jobs would make no sense.

There really isn't a wildly different way to release this score other than how they did it.

You've got a 2-disc main program of Horner's preferred version of every cue, then a third disc of every other version he recorded.  How can you complain?