Masterpiece or not?

Jwfan2234

Is Hans Zimmer’s Interstellar soundtrack a masterpiece?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Is Hans Zimmer’s Interstellar soundtrack a masterpiece?

1 minute ago, publicist said:

The waltz is even a potent dramatic idea, but alas, all the heavy stomping kind of negates it. I like the lighter cues, i. e. 'Earth', 'Now We Are Free' etc.

The new age stuff was always the real selling point for me. That and the Gorecki and Wagner knockoffs. The way Zimmer blows up the drama has always been a guilty pleasure.

The waltz has flashes of real potential that are occasionally brought down by The Rock-style stomping, as you put it. It could really benefit from a fully orchestral recording.

3 minutes ago, KK said:

The new age stuff was always the real selling point for me. That and the Gorecki and Wagner knockoffs. The way Zimmer blows up the drama has always been a guilty pleasure.

The waltz has flashes of real potential that are occasionally brought down by The Rock-style stomping, as you put it. It could really benefit from a fully orchestral recording.

I think most orchestral recording enhanced the action cues but adding sound effects like hammer forging steel doesn't work outside of the context of the film.

But the cue "Barbarian Horde" is easily among my favorite action cues ever. I love structural action cues, ones that knows exactly where the next note is going forming a cohesive whole despite relying on pounding sequences to get its point across at times. I much prefer action cues like that than orchestral fluff like what you find in Giacchino's or Desplat's action cues.

2 minutes ago, publicist said:

'Barbarian Horde' is a variation on 'The Battle', only even more is a coarse and vulgar. 

Coarse and vulgar for you. Epic and Badass for me. That is how I want my battle scenes to sound like.

It is most definitely a masterpiece. A beautifully rich and layered score; the perfect music to listen to while reading a good book. Perhaps Zimmer's finest score, at least in my opinion.

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 11:55 AM, Nick1066 said:

To be blunt, people who don't like Interstellar lack the intellectual ability to understand its dense scientific concepts.

don't be condescending to those who may not share your opinion.  I fully understood the science.  I also understand that to claim love as a scientific principle in the way presented is nonsense (and unprovable by science in principle). 

On 11/27/2017 at 12:55 PM, Nick1066 said:

To be blunt, people who don't like Interstellar lack the intellectual ability to understand its dense scientific concepts.

Interstellar is like a minefield of plot holes. But that's a Nolan speciality. He's never encountered a plot hole that he hasn't wholeheartedly jumped into.

Interstellar hinges on a concept that while allowed to exist by science has no real physical evidence to back it up.

Who cares about scientific accuracy in film? A film isn't grounded by virtue of it being scientifically realistic, but by virtue of the people in it behaving like living, breathing human beings.

15 hours ago, Tom said:

I also understand that to claim love as a scientific principle in the way presented is nonsense (and unprovable by science in principle). 

Well Dumbledore said love was the most powerful magic. Are you saying that's nonsense too?!

Interstellar is to science what Harry Potter is to magic.

To some, science may appear to be magic.

Your mind: BLOWN.

6 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Who cares about scientific accuracy in film? A film isn't grounded by virtue of it being scientifically realistic, but by virtue of the people in it behaving like living, breathing human beings.

Um, there's no air to breathe in space. That's kind of the point Chen G.

See this is what I meant about people not understanding the science. ;)

Matt Damon and a couple of other issues undermine the whole thing. I was disappointed, because parts are very effective and the overall tone is well pitched. But as usual Nolan's bad habits reared their annoying head again (too much dialogue and explaining the plot). 

Yeah Gladiator used to be on repeat eternally for me. Haven't listened in a while but this is also making me want to revisit it! God I would love Zimmer to compose something like that again.

That said, I still voted masterpiece for his Interstellar, which is definitely his greatest in recent years. As for the film, I would hesitate to call it a masterpiece although I really enjoy it. I think it has an incredible second act but there is definitely sloppiness there, especially towards the end. I do find it visually beautiful always.

5 hours ago, idril said:

I think it has an incredible second act but there is definitely sloppiness there, especially towards the end.

Idril, you're breaking my heart!  You're going down a path I can't follow.