Memoirs of a Geisha & Seven Years in Tibet Remastered

Jurassic Shark

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

@Bespin, do you know anything about the sound quality on the 2015 Best Selection album, from Decca Japan?

This compilation? Why you talk about Decca Japan?

p_4383.jpg

John Williams - The Best Selection (2015, Decca, 4824032, Compilation; Boston Pops O/Williams)

Star Wars: Main Title; Princess Leia; The Empire Strikes Back: The Asteroid Field; Yoda's Theme; The Imperial March; Return Of The Jedi: Parade Of The Ewoks; Luke & Leia Theme; Jabba The Hutt; The Forest Battle; Superman: March; Love Theme; Jaws: Theme; Close Encounters Of The Third Kind - Suite; Raiders Of The Lost Ark: March; Olympic Fanfare And Theme; E.T.: Flying Theme; Adventures On Earth.

You seems to be right, thanks, I will move it to my "Only in Japan" subsection, I never realized it was offered "as an import" in America.

I don't own it, as I own every Philips CDs, but I doubt that they "remastered" the old Philips recordings.... but nothing is impossible.

Just now, Bespin said:

I don't own it, but I doubt that they "remastered" the old Philips recordings.... but nothing is impossible.

I'm thinking it's a possibility since it's made for those audiophile Japanese...

Talking about Japanese release... this 2001 Sony release is the strangest JW compilation I ever saw. Don't own it either.

p_srcr2722.jpg

John Williams and the Boston Pops Orchestra: A Collection (2001, Sony Classical, SRCR-2722, Compilation; Boston Pops O/Williams)

Gotta Dance - A Tribute to Jerome Robbins; Adventures on Earth from E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial; Imagination; I Love A Parade; Strike Up the Band; It Don't Mean A Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing); The Shadow of Your Smile (Love Theme from "The Sandpiper"); Sophisticated Lady; Andrew Lloyd Webber Trilogy; Make our Garden Grow from Candide; Suite from Born on the Fourth of July; Schindler's List - Theme; Bugler's Dream (Introduced during the 1968 Olympic Games, Grenoble); Olympic Fanfare and Theme (Written for the 1984 Olympic Games, Los Angeles).

5 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What do you mean by TV sound? It's a quite narrow peak.

It is caused by the presence of CRT monitors (our old thing to watch TV) during the recording. And yeah, it's narrow, which means it's a pure sinusoidal signal but can still be heard very very loudly (provided you aren't 50 y.o.) on some scores like Geisha, Minority Report, Munich.

50 minutes ago, Chewy said:

It is caused by the presence of CRT monitors (our old thing to watch TV) during the recording. And yeah, it's narrow, which means it's a pure sinusoidal signal but can still be heard very very loudly (provided you aren't 50 y.o.) on some scores like Geisha, Minority Report, Munich.

Wow, that's quite amateurish by the producers. In which tracks is it most audible?

You can hear this on tons and tons of scores.  Symptom of the scoring stage environment.  It is most glaring when only present on an overlaid track, such as a choral one, which is suddenly dialed in.

3 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

You can hear this on tons and tons of scores.  Symptom of the scoring stage environment.  It is most glaring when only present on an overlaid track, such as a choral one, which is suddenly dialed in.

Do you have any examples where it's very prominent so I can hear for myself?

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Do you have any examples where it's very prominent so I can hear for myself?

Examples for each score:

• "A New Name... A New Life" on Geisha (you can hear it well at the very beginning of the track)
  • "The Raid In Tarifa" on Munich (again at the beginning, you hear it a lot)
  • "Sean By Agatha" on Minority Report

Here's how the spectrum looks for each track:

image.png

It's crystal clear it's not a coincidence. And the bad thing about this is that it still happens nowadays: here's the spectrum of one track from the last Desplat score Suburbicon:

image.png

20 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Can you just... enjoy... the music? ;)

Not as long as I'm still under 50. ;) 

7 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Examples for each score:

• "A New Name... A New Life" on Geisha (you can hear it well at the very beginning of the track)
  • "The Raid In Tarifa" on Munich (again at the beginning, you hear it a lot)
  • "Sean By Agatha" on Minority Report

Here's how the spectrum looks for each track:

image.png

It's crystal clear it's not a coincidence. And the bad thing about this is that it still happens nowadays: here's the spectrum of one track from the last Desplat score Suburbicon:

image.png

Damn, that's annoying. Have you tried filtering it?

Yeah since it's a pure sinusoidal signal you can filter it easily without alterning so much the music. However, I never do it. I'm getting used to it now, it reminds me of the sound I heard as a kid when I turned on old TV monitors :P 

It's part of it!

Is it just my imagination or do more recent scores sound a little airless?  Less audible clicking of woodwind keys, shifting of seats, etc.  I loved hearing that stuff.

2 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Yeah since it's a pure sinusoidal signal you can filter it easily without alterning so much the music. However, I never do it. I'm getting used to it now, it reminds me of the sound I heard as a kid when I turned on old TV monitors :P 

Yes, it should be super easy to filter. I wonder why it isn't done.

Note that it's not on big scores like Harry Potter or Star Wars, so I guess either they don't use old crap monitors or they filter it.

EDIT: Nevermind, it's even on SW2, HP1-2, but just least noticeable!

31 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Note that it's not on big scores like Harry Potter or Star Wars, so I guess either they don't use old crap monitors or they filter it.

EDIT: Nevermind, it's even on SW2, HP1-2, but just least noticeable!

I'm sure JW wouldn't approve of it if he actually could hear frequencies that high!