Close Encounters of the Third Kind - La-La Land MUSIC Discussion

Jay

I finally listened to this. Lots of cool moments I don't think I ever heard before

Does anyone have a list of the cues that WEREN'T on the OST or Collector's Edition? (completely new outside of bootlegs)

DISC 1

01. Main Title and The Vision 1:29*

DISC 2

01. Main Title 1:18*
05. Watching the Skies 1:20
06. Vision Takes Shape :42
07. Another Vision :42
19. Dark Side of the Moon 1:34
20. The Approach 4:32
23. Inside 2:34
24. Contact (Alternate) 2:51
25. Eleventh Commandment 2:00
26. TV Western 1:06
27. Lava Flow 1:47
28. The Five Tones 2:25
29. Advance Scout Greeting 2:58
30. The Dialogue (Early Version) 3:12

*only partly previously unreleased

14 hours ago, king mark said:

Does anyone have a list of the cues that WEREN'T on the OST or Collector's Edition? (completely new outside of bootlegs)

The following tracks on the LLL set contain music that was not on the 1998 CD (I'm ignoring the full endings that appear in many tracks on the LLL CD where the 1998 CD faded them out early)

1-01 Main Title and The Vision (1:29) [0:45-end] - this was on the Lacombe boot, though

1-08 Barry’s Kidnapping (6:22) - contain vocal overlays not present on the 1998 CD
1-19 The Dialogue (4:28) - a portion was edited out on the 1998 CD
2-01 Main Title (1:18) - the 1998 CD faded out early before the synth drone came in
2-05 Watching the Skies (1:20)
2-06 Vision Takes Shape (0:42)
2-07 Another Vision (0:42)
2-14 Across the Fields (1:20) - this was on the '77 OST album, though
2-19 Dark Side of the Moon (1:34) - 0:52-end was on the Lacombe boot, though
2-20 The Approach (4:32)
2-23 Inside (2:34)
2-24 Contact (Alternate) (2:51)
2-25 Eleventh Commandment (2:00)
2-26 TV Western (1:06)
2-27 Lava Flow (1:47)
2-28 The Five Tones (2:25)
2-29 Advance Scout Greeting (2:58)
2-30 The Dialogue (Early Version) (3:12) - this was on the Lacombe boot, though

3 hours ago, king mark said:

Is all the source music composed by Williams?

Yes, of course!

3 hours ago, king mark said:

And is it adapted from themes by other composers?

No.

So we basically have big dramatic Williams cues unreleated to the movie like a  Biblical Epic. Very cool. It's almost like a free bonus

i'm definitely including them in the chrono presentation

and where's the 5 notes motif chants by that Indian crowd

7 hours ago, Stefancos said:

There's a song credit from someone other than Williams.

Only "When You Wish Upon A Star", which has nothing to do with anything we're talking about on this page.

5 hours ago, king mark said:

and where's the 5 notes motif chants by that Indian crowd

Williams had nothing to do with that AFAIK.

I dunno.  Do you think those voices were recorded in a recording room, or were they recorded live on the outdoor set?

I have no idea, I haven't thought about it much.

Anyone else having trouble getting the disc out of the case? This one's locked too securely. I'm afraid I'll bend the disc if I force it.

Edit: I ended up having to break one of the teeth on the jewel case to get it out.

12 hours ago, Denise Bryson said:

Anyone else having trouble getting the disc out of the case? This one's locked too securely. I'm afraid I'll bend the disc if I force it.

Edit: I ended up having to break one of the teeth on the jewel case to get it out.

12 hours ago, Bryant Burnette said:

Yeah, mine was tough, too.  It was fine once I got it out, but I was worried about breaking it, too.

You need to bend the teeth a little bit, before getting the disc out.

22 hours ago, Jay said:

No.

But you can come very close with this:

2-01    Main Title    1:16
1-10    TV Reveals / Across Country    2:52
2-14    Across The Fields    1:20
2-15    Stars And Trucks    0:49

2-09    The Abduction Of Barry    4:36
2-13    I Can't Believe It's Real    3:24
2-18    Climbing Devils Tower    2:11

1-18    The Mothership    4:36        
2-21    Night Siege    6:26
2-22    The Conversation    2:23
1-21    The Appearance Of The Visitors    4:55 
2-31    Resolution and End Title    6:54      

Nice!

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

the "progression" that John Williams wanted for us to hear.

Which would be the film order, not the truncated version that MM decided to present on Disc 1 of this set. The sequencing on the 1998 album is a much more faithful representation of the score than CD1 of the LLL.

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

I never very was a big big fan of the movie, never was a fanatic of the score

That's what abridged versions are made for: people who do not really like the complete score. This LLL sequencing is not for those who really love and appreciate this masterpiece.

I don't mnid making a play list , but the problem is I needed a complex guide made by someone else on an internet forum.

maybe there should be a chrono guide in the liner notes

I saved Jay's post in case I need it in a few years

13 minutes ago, king mark said:

maybe there should be a chrono guide in the liner notes

It definitely should have been there.

13 minutes ago, king mark said:

I saved Jay's post in case I need it in a few years

It's on the main page too. But anyway, a much more comprehensive article by Jay is coming ;)

1 hour ago, Rick said:

Which would be the film order, not the truncated version that MM decided to present on Disc 1 of this set.

I got the CD yesterday and haven’t read the book yet, but I remember reading online that disc 1 of the LLL CD is pretty much an unreleased presentation of JW’s original 2 LP sequencing.

When, by the way, has JW ever been an advocate for the “film order” when it comes to presenting a score for a new release?

3 hours ago, rough cut said:

I remember reading online that disc 1 of the LLL CD is pretty much an unreleased presentation of JW’s original 2 LP sequencing.

It is based on the intended 2LP set but far from a faithful representation of it, with several tracks placed in different order and some replaced with film versions instead of the intended cues, which can be found on disc 2.

When, by the way, has JW ever been an advocate for the “film order” when it comes to presenting a score for a new release?

Never, unfortunately.

4 hours ago, Denise Bryson said:

I love this score.

Sure.

2 hours ago, Denise Bryson said:

Many sountracks don't need to rigidly conform to film order. A bit of tinkering can improve the experience, like on the new CE3K.

For you, my dear. For you.

Oh it's a great presentation. It flows beautifully. If the OST was like listening to a symphony, this is like an extension of that, with an alternate symphonic presentation on Disc 2. I haven't had so much fun with an expanded film score in years.

I realise that any presentation that dares to deviate from the hallowed film order is unacceptable to pedantic chronologists, but some artistic licence can be a good thing. In this case, it works. In other cases, it might not.

Also to suggest that those who enjoy the LLL sequencing don't really love and appreciate the score is just weird and plain wrong. We just don't necesarily need every last scrap of bits and pieces thrown into the main program for it to qualify as acceptable.

We are no more pedantic than you. And if someone prefers a partial presentation of a score over the complete version, it is obvious that they don't appreciate the score as a whole when listened outside the film. That's exactly what "this particular score works better as presented on the soundtrack album" means. Which is neither good nor bad, just a personal preference.

1 hour ago, Rick said:

We are no more pedantic than you. And if someone prefers a partial presentation of a score over the complete version, it is obvious that they don't appreciate the score as a whole when listened outside the film. That's exactly what "this particular score works better as presented on the soundtrack album" means. Which is neither good nor bad, just a personal preference.

I'm not really that pedantic. I wouldn't have been terribly fussed if it was a completely chronological presentation, but I still love what they've done with this. And what's the issue? They didn't leave any music out. The remainders are on Disc 2.

"And if someone prefers a partial presentation of a score over the complete version, it is obvious that they don't appreciate the score as a whole when listened outside the film."

Again, that's a fallacy. Not all film scores are created equal. Much of the time they don't work as a listening experience when the C&C score as intended for the film is casually thrown into the tracklist. Especially if it's littered with a significant number of micro cues in 20-30 second duration each, which can harm the wider musical narrative. Sometimes the album producer (in many cases, that's Williams himself) feels it's necessary to reappropriate the music to a suit the new context that's separate from the film.

I'd probably have preferred it be in chronological order, but it plays just fine as is, and if it being sequenced that way is what it took to get Williams to sign off on releasing it, then that's perfectly fine by me.

A well sequenced OST presentation, where repetitive and redundant cues have been carefully weeded out, suits my listening preferences.

I think it’s extremely rare for me to like every single track of a soundtrack, chronological or not. I change the order, I mix between movies, I skip tracks I don’t like, I even edit out parts I don’t like.

But C&C can be fun as a curiosity. Also, they often contain little gems left out of the OST, as well as clean openings/endings.