Close Encounters of the Third Kind - La-La Land MUSIC Discussion

Jay

• 10 months later...
26 minutes ago, Corellian2019 said:

Is there any reason to think that the "tone" heard at 0:25 in this video, and at 1:16, is not a sound effect but actually part of the score? 

My recollection is that this scene was in fact scored but the music wasn't used, silence being preferable.  The music was different - the quiet string clusters with the dies irae motif - so that makes me think this was always sound design.

This was the music for the scene that's not in the film:

Oh yes, I knew that "Trucking" was meant for that scene, but I was just wondering if the sound effect for the pivotal moment where Roy hears the five notes was in any way part of the score

5 hours ago, Corellian2019 said:

Oh yes, I knew that "Trucking" was meant for that scene, but I was just wondering if the sound effect for the pivotal moment where Roy hears the five notes was in any way part of the score

No.  It is sound design and what I tried to say was a different cue was written as score over that scene and wasn't used.  The sound design does not exist in the written score.  JW interpreted this scene as sinister.  Also listen to the cue, "Into the Tunnel" which in the expanded release has music while the UFO is probing the truck before he chases it and you'll see how he approached that scene.  Bill Wrobel describes the sheet music he reviewed for this sequence: "Here Roy is in his truck in the quiet scene looking up into the night sky and sees an unlighted ufo silently and quietly moving across his view (just before the ship put an intense spot light on a road corner ahead of Roy). You can put the cd track # 4 on at about this point to hear what Williams intended for the first 49 seconds. I suppose Spielberg decided that the best effect of Roy seeing that spaceship would be without music until the start of the chase scene as Roy hears news on the radio and races off."

• 5 months later...

There's always a lot of info to comb through (again) on this score.

It shouldn't matter to me that much, but we all know that it does: What tracks on disc 1 relate to what tracks on disc 2?

Here https://jwfan.com/?p=10170 it says "Cues in their own track that are combined with something else on disc 1" but it's not always clear what the tracks are.

I should just do my own homework but some of these tracks are less thematic and more abstract so it can be harder to pin down.

7 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

There's always a lot of info to comb through (again) on this score.

It shouldn't matter to me that much, but we all know that it does: What tracks on disc 1 relate to what tracks on disc 2?

Here https://jwfan.com/?p=10170 it says "Cues in their own track that are combined with something else on disc 1" but it's not always clear what the tracks are.

I should just do my own homework but some of these tracks are less thematic and more abstract so it can be harder to pin down.

The answers are here

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/29072-jays-score-information-collection-john-williams-edition/

48 minutes ago, Jay said:

Bless you. Now go do Empire Strikes Back! What kind of omission is that?

(Kidding. And grateful.)