Bruno Coulais appreciation

idril

I couldn't see a thread on this so I thought I would start one. Does anyone else enjoy the music of Bruno Coulais? He's one of my favourite composers. I adore his combinations of world music and orchestral, his use of vocals in his soundtracks and his beautiful melodies. I find him one of the most underrated composers (at least outside of France).

Anyone have any particular favourites or opinions on his work?

I will say something horrible, but the day a french (from France I mean) instrumental music composer will write good music, I will know it. :P

55 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I will say something horrible, but the day a french (from France I mean) instrumental music composer will write good music, I will know it. :P

!!! Now that's a bit harsh!

Just realised I accidentally started this thread in the wrong category. Any way to move it to General Discussion..?

Thanks for moving this!

Yes Himalaya is so entrancing and Les Choristes is endlessly charming and beautiful. One of my all-time favourites is also Don Juan:

He uses the Corsican vocal group A Filetta frequently, which creates such an emotive and interesting sound. 

One of my favourites is La Rivière Espérance, which always cheers me up and has such a lovely sense of luxury and momentum:

Coulais is a wonderful composer when he's "on".

On 2.12.2017 at 3:16 PM, Bespin said:

Ha, ha....

Yeah, those French composers. Not a single good one among them. Ravel, Debussy, Berlioz, Bizet, Boulez, Fauré, Messiaen, Saint-Saen, Satie, Dukas.....hacks, all of them!