The Next Matessino/Williams/Spielberg Expansion

crumbs

The Next Matessino Expansion  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Which Spielberg/Williams score would you like Matessino to tackle next?

• Sugarland Express
    • Always
    • Schindler's List
    • Amistad
    • Saving Private Ryan
    • Minority Report
    • Catch Me If You Can
    • The Terminal
    • War of the Worlds
    • Munich

This poll is closed to new votes

5 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

I can. At least 2000 of them would be bought by people who already own the old version.

Count me in for one of the 3,000 that remain. I would absolutely love to have a copy of an expanded Hook that was properly edited and compiled — and it would save me from toying with the idea of paying exorbitantly for the 2012 version on the used-CD market.

2 minutes ago, Scintillating_CA said:

Count me in for one of the 3,000 that remain. I would absolutely love to have a copy of an expanded Hook that was properly edited and compiled — and it would save me from toying with the idea of paying exorbitantly for the 2012 version on the used-CD market.

Trust me. It is definitely just a matter of the missing reels, nothing else prevents this release to become reality.

I don't see the point of a new version of Hook until better elements are secured. Sure, Matessino could fix all the set's other issues, but Ultimate War is the centerpiece of the score. Why go to all that trouble if we're still stuck with the film stems?

1 minute ago, crumbs said:

I don't see the point of a new version of Hook until better elements are secured. Sure, Matessino could fix all the set's other issues, but Ultimate War is the centerpiece of the score. Why go to all that trouble if we're still stuck with the film stems?

As I said, just a matter of missing reels. - Or at least one reel.

Obvious question, surely, but do we have any idea what happened to the missing masters (or whatever those elements are)? Or, better yet, is there reasonable hope they’ll ever be found? If there isn’t, MM could just get going on what’s known to exist.

Plenty of theories around. Personally I don't think the reels are "missing." Someone has them and isn't coming forward in case they lose their job or something. Sadly, without those tapes being archived properly they're going to start disintegrating (if they haven't already). So we could lose that music forever.

What surprises me is the lack of secondary copies of the masters. Matessino has provided great insight into his assemblies recently, discussing all the score sources available (stereo mix-downs, album masters, multi-track masters). It's strange that an entire reel of music would "vanish" without a trace and leave them with no source except the film stems (basically the last resort).

Did Hook do live mixes? Where are the multi-track masters? Stereo mix-downs? Did they not record anything digitally for Hook? Obviously only 8 minutes could be sourced from the original album master, but I find it hard to believe only one source existed for the entire scoring sessions.

I thought Memoirs was fairly complete as is. If I recall there are some variations on the 2 main themes not on the OST but not much else. The OST is a great listening experience, a really strong album presentation and clearly a score JW loved doing.

17 hours ago, crumbs said:

What surprises me is the lack of secondary copies of the masters. Matessino has provided great insight into his assemblies recently, discussing all the score sources available (stereo mix-downs, album masters, multi-track masters). It's strange that an entire reel of music would "vanish" without a trace and leave them with no source except the film stems (basically the last resort).

Since there is a pristine bootleg of all this material available (or at least the only real important missing battle cue-s) so someone had access to those session tapes.

42 minutes ago, publicist said:

Since there is a pristine bootleg of all this material available (or at least the only real important missing battle cue-s) so someone had access to those session tapes.

If the tapes do not turn up, they should just take the bootleg as source!

1 hour ago, artguy360 said:

I thought Memoirs was fairly complete as is. If I recall there are some variations on the 2 main themes not on the OST but not much else. The OST is a great listening experience, a really strong album presentation and clearly a score JW loved doing.

48 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What about Always? Anything unreleased of any substance?

Always

Schindler's List

Seven Years in Tibet

Saving Private Ryan

Angela's Ashes

Munich

Memoirs of a Geisha

Lincoln

These are all scores that would be a "nice" surprise, if completed, but nothing more. I'm not waiting for them. It was the same with Russia House.

3 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

If the tapes do not turn up, they should just take the bootleg as source!

I believe they tried but Sony refused. And yes, the existence of that bootleg indicates someone knows exactly where the missing tapes are -- enough to scan them into a digital format.

4 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

These are all scores that would be a "nice" surprise, if completed, but nothing more. I'm not waiting for them. It was the same with Russia House.

I'm waiting for Minority Report!

8 hours ago, crumbs said:

I believe they tried but Sony refused. And yes, the existence of that bootleg indicates someone knows exactly where the missing tapes are -- enough to scan them into a digital format.

Strange that Sony refused them to use the bootleg. Sony is known to allow for the use of bootlegs for classical recordings and historic recordings when the master is damaged or missing.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Strange that Sony refused them to use the bootleg. Sony is known to allow for the use of bootlegs for classical recordings and historic recordings when the master is damaged or missing.

I guess it was a different story if they couldn't even cite the origin of the bootleg or its source. Presumably whoever distributed it knows the location of the missing tapes but they're not coming clean.

Still find it odd there were no secondary masters for the score but maybe I'm overestimating the studio's archival process.

• 5 weeks later...
  1. Amistad
  2. War of the Worlds
  3. The Kingdom of the Crystall Skull
  4. The Temple of Doom
  5. The Last Crusade
  6. The Adventures of Tintin
  7. Minority Report
  8. War Horse
  9. The Terminal
  10. Catch Me If You Can
  11. Raiders of the Lost Ark
  12. Hook
  13. Schindler's List
  14. Munich
  15. The BFG
  16. Lincoln
  17. Saving Private Ryan
  18. The Post
  19. Always

I think, based on the importance of the score, the quality of the most recent presentation, the length of the unreleased material, the potential and new facets of the unreleased material and the fans' amount of patience left, this is a rough order in which the SS/JW-catalogue should be completed.

To be honest, I don't care for 16.-19. personally.

Sugarland Express is another matter, so I excluded it.

Good question! Ya see? Great for the man, lousy for the woman. She dies, she suffocates, and the man runs around complaining that he's fucking a dead person...and he's the one who killed her!

Oops, I mean...since it was never shown commercially, how do we know?

JS, what's :blink: about my post?

9 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

I think, based on the importance of the score, the quality of the most recent presentation, the length of the unreleased material, the potential and new facets of the unreleased material and the fans' amount of patience left, this is a rough order in which the SS/JW-catalogue should be completed.

You forgot Munich ;)

13 hours ago, Brundlefly said:
  1. Amistad
  2. War of the Worlds
  3. The Kingdom of the Crystall Skull
  4. The Temple of Doom
  5. The Last Crusade
  6. Minority Report
  7. War Horse
  8. The Terminal
  9. Catch Me If You Can
  10. Raiders of the Lost Ark
  11. Hook
  12. Schindler's List
  13. Munich
  14. The BFG
  15. Lincoln
  16. Saving Private Ryan
  17. The Post
  18. Always

To be honest, I don't care for 14.-17. personally.

where's Tintin...it should be at the top of the list

I think I counted 17 films and thought I was done, but it was actually 19 films.

Nevermind, in case you don't understand why a certain film is put at a certain place, just ask. - I know why I put it there.

I'd say within five years there will be at most twelve of these scores left to expand.

Amistad, by and large, seems the most interesting. I fail to see the additional value of some slim, unimportant cues added to long, already flagging albums like 'Minority Report' or 'WOTW'. Though the sound of the former could make me reconsider. It's from the Shawn Murphy/AI hallway of canned, overamplified stinkers.

1 hour ago, publicist said:

...these album were more than generous to begin with. 

Not generous enough! Apart from presenting the material from the sessions in lossless, a complete release of Minority Report would undo the devastating micro-edits in "Pre-Crime to the Rescue" and restore clean intros and endings

1 hour ago, Corellian2019 said:

Not generous enough! Apart from presenting the material from the sessions in lossless, a complete release of Minority Report would undo the devastating micro-edits in "Pre-Crime to the Rescue" and restore clean intros and endings

I also want a proper "Confrontation with Leo Crow" and "Psychic Truth and Finale".