The Next Matessino/Williams/Spielberg Expansion

crumbs

The Next Matessino Expansion  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Which Spielberg/Williams score would you like Matessino to tackle next?

• Sugarland Express
    • Always
    • Schindler's List
    • Amistad
    • Saving Private Ryan
    • Minority Report
    • Catch Me If You Can
    • The Terminal
    • War of the Worlds
    • Munich

This poll is closed to new votes

3 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

I also want a proper "Confrontation with Leo Crow" and "Psychic Truth and Finale".

I hope there is an unreleased proper concert version of Sean's theme because it's a lovely theme, and the cue in the cd/film (in the end credits) leaves much to be desired!

9 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

@JTWfan77 Really?

Yes, why not? It's long out of print. It's also the oldest SS/JW collab not to receive an expansion. I want that alternate Follow Me from the BOTFOJ boot. There may be other alternates too. This need to be preserved before the tapes dissolve/ disappear/get misplaced/etc.

From what I've read on FSM, I'd forget about any US-recorded score from 2009 onwards (at least for now). Exorbitant new reuse fees have basically made it prohibitively expensive for small labels to release expansions.

There was a post about it in the Avatar thread, because one of the labels was trying to get an exception from the new fees for Avatar but weren't successful.

It's actual from 2005 onward.  The change happened like the day after WOTW finished recording, so that one is OK; Anything recorded after would be extra expensive for a label to tackle.

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

So did they just change the rules in 2005 because lawyers felt it was a good moment to complicate matters for consumers, or was common sense actually involved?

Probably more about money for the musicians. Understandable, but nobody wins if they've made it prohibitively expensive to the point that expansions aren't financially viable. Labels barely turn a profit as it is; they won't survive if they have to make a loss.

Prisoner of Azkaban:)

The Terminal:)

Revenge of the Sith:)

War of the Worlds:)

-----------------higher reuse fees--------------------

Memoirs of a Geisha:(

Munich:(

The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull:(

The Adventures of Tintin:(

15 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Memoirs and Tintin are the real bummers in that list. At least we have the sessions for KOTCS to tide us over until 2028.

We do?

9 hours ago, crumbs said:

Probably more about money for the musicians. Understandable, but nobody wins if they've made it prohibitively expensive to the point that expansions aren't financially viable. Labels barely turn a profit as it is; they won't survive if they have to make a loss.

See, this is exactly what I don't get. Why do they make such things so costly that no one ends up doing it at all? Who wins?

4 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

We do?

The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull recording sessions leaked about 5 years ago, as did War of the Worlds and Minority Report.

Unfortunately that still leaves every other post-WOTW Williams score under the new rules.

Harry Potter 2, Minority Report, War of the Worlds, and Indiana Jones 4 all leaked pretty much simultaneously in 2012.  They are all over the internet, very easily found.

While several of those were desirable, it raised the question of why these and not HP3, Star Wars prequels, Indiana Jones trilogy...

I wonder if the less coveted scores are being leaked at a lower bitrate while the best stuff is kept in private collections. The almost-definitive HP1 leak probably got out of private hands by accident considering it couldn't have been much better. In most cases, the best Williams score aren't leaked and the leaked ones are flawed and/or undesirable such as KOTCS, which is just unnecessary at that length and seriously lacking in sound quality compared to the OSTs.

Minority and COS are good ones, but comparing the sound to the albums, it's like night and day.

That's a bit of an exaggeration. The Minority Report sessions sound good for lossy audio, they're just mixed lower than the album (which was already too quiet in some parts to begin with)

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Harry Potter 2, Minority Report, War of the Worlds, and Indiana Jones 4 all leaked pretty much simultaneously in 2012.  They are all over the internet, very easily found.

Unfortunately not legally though.

On 06 February 2018 at 11:27 PM, crumbs said:

From what I've read on FSM, I'd forget about any US-recorded score from 2009 onwards (at least for now). Exorbitant new reuse fees have basically made it prohibitively expensive for small labels to release expansions.

I wonder how V/S was able to release the DEs of nuTrek 1-3? I suppose ST sells like hotcakes because of the fanbase.

22 hours ago, Jay said:

No one claimed that they were

True. It still amazes me that this kind of stuff ends up on YouTube and the studios/labels/artists don't seem to be able to get it taken down.

On 7/2/2018 at 7:20 AM, crumbs said:

Memoirs and Tintin are the real bummers in that list. At least we have the sessions for KOTCS to tide us over until 2028.

Yeah, I was interested most in these 2 (from the post-2005 scores) myself... :(

It's possible LLL might apply for an exemption for Memoirs. I believe they can work with the union to negotiate these things, especially if the alternative is no expansion (because nobody gets anything out of that).

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed this interesting tidbit from MV in the "ask LLL/MV" thread over at the FSM boards...

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?forumID=1&pageID=62&threadID=118900&archive=0

CEOT3K has been on our production slate for several years. It just so happened that last year was the 40th anniversary and Sony was hot to trot to mark the occasion. We have noticed "anniversaries" tend to get things moving along. Also, it didn't hurt to have a few Spielberg/Williams titles under our belt to make this go through.

Hope this points to Schindler's List 25th anniversary release!  Or SPR 20th 

7 hours ago, ATXHusker said:

Do I have to understand why so many people want Schindler's List and Saving Private Ryan expanded.

18 hours ago, ATXHusker said:

I noticed this interesting tidbit from MV in the "ask LLL/MV" thread over at the FSM boards...

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?forumID=1&pageID=62&threadID=118900&archive=0

What does this mean in practice? Does it mean that Matessino actually finished CE3K WAY before it came out, or does it only mean that, on paper, they had permission to tackle the titles for a long time but needed to wait for the 'go on' signal?

The latter; They were in preliminary talks years ago but didn't get to actually do anything with it until last year.  The success of MM's work on 1941, EOTS, Jaws, AI, JP, and TLW combined with Universal wanting to celebrate the anniversaries of both ET and CE3K with theatrical reissues and new Blu Rays made it all happen quickly.  

• 5 months later...

The WOTW score is fun to listen to from time to time because of the action music. Still, as much as the scary action music is pulsing and somewhat texturally complex, I wish JW had created even more alien sounds. To me the action music has a slight alien tinge to it, but not all out. I would like the OST a lot more if the narration wasn't included. 

Most of these don't need an expansion anyway:

Always, Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan and Munich all combined have like 30 minutes unreleased that are merely repetitions of the themes or unimportant suspense cues.

Minority Report, The Terminal and War of the Worlds have much more music and variety to offer, featuring 15-20 minutes of unreleased music each.

Catch Me If You Can basically just needs a film score release. The recording is all new, but the music is the same.

Amistad has more than 40 minutes of unreleased music and they're worth it. That's the score that really needs an expansion.

By the way, I kind of agree with John Williams on his decision not to release Sugarland Express. Maybe one day as a bonus like Pete 'N' Tillie.