Quentin Tarantino to possibly direct next Star Trek film

mrbellamy

24 minutes ago, Richard said:

I like THE FINAL FRONTIER. Heck, I love THE FINAL FRONTIER, I really do, but I fully admit that it's a huge steaming turd. I guess that BEYOND is like that, with some people.

Sure, but the key difference between Alex and yourself is you don't adopt an insultery and sneering tone when you make such observations.

On 23/12/2017 at 3:04 PM, Nick1066 said:

Huh? Does anyone like Beyond?

It is a huge improvement over Into Darkness, I reckon.

Which doesn't mean it is all that great; but a step in the right direction, at least?

On 12/23/2017 at 3:14 PM, The Doctor said:

Star Trek V is one of the best entries in the franchise. It gives it focus. Makes it stronger.

It's character driven by characters we love and miss. That should give it props. 

But the false god, blue horse, planet of peace, Spock having a brother, and going to the galactic center were all dumb. 

The score was tremendous. 

11 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

It is a huge improvement over Into Darkness, I reckon.

Which doesn't mean it is all that great; but a step in the right direction, at least?

N. Patently awful with the chief offender that fucking bike chase which is so...ahemmm...out-of-character (not to speak of the physical improbability) for Kirk that it illustrates all that is wrong with modern blockbusters in just in 3 minutes.

3 hours ago, publicist said:

N. Patently awful with the chief offender that fucking bike chase which is so...ahemmm...out-of-character (not to speak of the physical improbability) for Kirk that it illustrates all that is wrong with modern blockbusters in just in 3 minutes.

That's indeed not the film's best moment. But it does fit with Kirk's character shown in the 2009 version of Star Trek, no?

Actually, I never liked that part with the epic car crash either.

Blowing up the enemies with a rock song was... also not awesome.

So definitely flawed films, that's for sure.

But at least there is space exploration in there.

And no "torpedoes with people in them", nor deliberate reversals of famous movie scenes.

I'm not the core audience for these movies, so i can only say that i felt zero involvement dramatically and that has been a problem since the second one (Into Darkness). Tarantino would be an unexpected blessing at this point, with the needledrop 'score' being the only fly in the ointment.

I've only seen the two Abrams Treks, one of which I loved and one of which I was mildly blah about.  Might have flipped through some TNG when I was a kid and kept flipping.  Tarantino creating franchise work is intriguing to me, so I'll see this in a heartbeat if it pans out.

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

I've only seen the two Abrams Treks, one of which I loved and one of which I was mildly blah about.  Might have flipped through some TNG when I was a kid and kept flipping.  Tarantino creating franchise work is intriguing to me, so I'll see this in a heartbeat if it pans out.

I think you'd like Star Trek Beyond. It really had the most feel from The Original Series for the three films.

I do plan on getting to that one. although my spouse has no interest, so it'll be unlikely anytime soon.  There was a point where I wanted to start with TOS and work my way through everything - especially because it's all on Netflix - but man that's a lot of content.  I can't even keep up with the small handful of current shows I watch.

• 1 month later...

The more I think about this, the more I really hope it happens.

My Tarantino Top 3, because what the hell:

1. Inglorious Basterds

2. Kill Bill

3. Hateful Eight

On 28.1.2018 at 12:39 PM, Nick1066 said:

1. Inglorious Basterds

2. Kill Bill

3. Hateful Eight

Some seem to like it quite a lot.

Subjective:

1. Reservoir Dogs

2. Inglourious Basterds

3. Django Unchained

4. Pulp Fiction

5. Kill Bill Vol. 1

6. Jackie Brown

7. Kill Bill Vol. 2

8. The H8ful Eight

9. Death Proof

Objective:

1. Pulp Fiction

2. Django Unchained

3. Inglourious Basterds

4. Reservoir Dogs

5. Kill Bill Vol. 2

6. Jackie Brown

7. Kill Bill Vol. 1

8. The H8ful Eight

9. Death Proof

I still like Death Proof and H8ful Eight a lot.

14 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Some seem to like it quite a lot.

Subjective:

1. Reservoir Dogs

2. Inglourious Basterds

3. Django Unchained

4. Pulp Fiction

5. Kill Bill Vol. 1

6. Jackie Brown

7. Kill Bill Vol. 2

8. The H8ful Eight

9. Death Proof

Objective:

1. Pulp Fiction

2. Django Unchained

3. Inglourious Basterds

4. Reservoir Dogs

5. Kill Bill Vol. 2

6. Jackie Brown

7. Kill Bill Vol. 1

8. The H8ful Eight

9. Death Proof

I still like Death Proof and H8ful Eight a lot.

Where are Four Rooms and From Dusk Till Dawn?

What are they going to call this thing? Inglorious Trekkers? Pulp Science Fiction? Uhura Unchained? Kill Bill (Shatner)?

Actually, I'm predicting it will just be called "TREK"

And Kill Bill is one movie split into two parts.

I haven't seen Hateful Eight yet.

1. Inglourious Basterds

2. Kill Bill Vol 1

3.  Jackie Brown

4. Pulp Fiction

5. Reservoir Dogs

6. Django Unchained

7. Kill Bill Vol. 2

8.  Death Proof

If I have to consider Kill Bill one movie, the whole bloody affair jumps down the list below Reservoir Dogs, because Part 1 was really neat and Part 2 kind of sucked.

5 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

And Kill Bill is one movie split into two parts.

Kill Bill is one script split into two parts and each part generated one movie. The movies are clearly made as single movies with own climaxes, introductions, etc.

1900 and Nymph()maniac are simply split, but there's one constant narrative flow.

Tarantino knows that and therefore he is hesitating releasing The Whole Bloody Affair.

9 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Kill Bill is one script split into two parts and each part generated one movie. The movies are clearly made as single movies with own climaxes, introductions, etc.

Tarantino knows that and therefore he is hesitating releasing The Whole Bloody Affair.

Is that the reason? How come by you this knowledge?  As far as I know, Kill Bill film was originally intended to be one movie, was originally screened that way, and that the decision to split it in two came later.

Anyway, I don't think Part 1 feels anywhere near complete. And if it's one script, split in two parts, and released as two parts, that sounds a lot to me like one movie split into two parts (which is what I said).

13 hours ago, Stefancos said:

QT directed part of it.

He also directed a part of Sin City, but both are still Rodriguez films!

8 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

1900 and Nymph()maniac are simply split, but there's one constant narrative flow.

Wrong! @Nick1066 has it right. It was the decision on Weinstein's part to cut it into two films to avoid a 4-hour cut. The cliffhanger ending to Vol. 1 was filmed specifically for the split. Tarantino doesn't "know that," otherwise The Hateful Eight wouldn't say "The 8th film from Quentin Tarantino" on the poster. If Kill Bill was two films, it would be have been his 9th.