Quentin Tarantino to possibly direct next Star Trek film

mrbellamy

2 hours ago, Quintus said:

Which director would you choose instead of him?

Director? I dunno. Star Trek isnt really about directors. Matthew Reeves would probably be a safe pair of hands. Right now Star Trek needs a good show runner more than anything else.

17 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Director? I dunno. Star Trek isnt really about directors. Matthew Reeves would probably be a safe pair of hands. Right now Star Trek needs a good show runner more than anything else.

Star Trek fans want everything to stay the same.

4 hours ago, John said:

The franchise is on its last legs anyways; it may as well go out in a blaze of glory. 

Right. It’s not like Tarantino’s one-off movie will be “the new direction” for Star Trek, just one guy’s take, a guy who at least has an idea of something fun to do with it. I’d watch it!

As for TV, I think the ideal would be to just do a Next Next Generation. New crew, on a new Enterprise, in the “present” timeline, with an episodic format and an emphasis on deep space exploration like the original. I think the producers have felt hemmed in by several factors — 1. Extensive backlog of old shows/episodes; 2. The current (theoretically) movie series; 3. The Orville. But I think they just need to get over it, and do it right, with great fanfare and with an A-list cast and a writing team with some serious sci-fi chops.

43 minutes ago, Pellaeon said:

As for TV, I think the ideal would be to just do a Next Next Generation. New crew, on a new Enterprise, in the “present” timeline, with an episodic format and an emphasis on deep space exploration like the original. I think the producers have felt hemmed in by several factors — 1. Extensive backlog of old shows/episodes; 2. The current (theoretically) movie series; 3. The Orville. But I think they just need to get over it, and do it right, with great fanfare and with an A-list cast and a writing team with some serious sci-fi chops.

Oof. The Next Generation was already a riff on the original premise, why would we want to see that idea played out for a third time? Not to mention, we've already seen three full-fledged generations of an Enterprise crew.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

More good to great Trek was produced under Berman than anyone else.

There isn’t really anything to hate about Enterprise, it’s just they were clearly running on fumes at that point.

I think that all boils down to the post-1997 sound mixes of the movies tending to favor SFX over music and that one clip where he drowns out some epic bombast in Episode III with explosion sounds and Lucas tells him to lower it down.

Rick Berman inherited ST after Roddenberry by most accounts was fucking it up. It improved with the later seasons of TNG, DS9 and Voyager after a bumpy start. That was the golden age of ST.

• 3 months later...

LOL

Time To Stop Holding Your Breath For Quentin Tarantino’s STAR TREK

In a new interview with the Consequence of Sound podcast, Quentin Tarantino says he's "steering away" from his proposed R-rated Star Trek movie, and that his tenth (and, allegedly, final) film will likely be something smaller. We've been skeptical but hopeful about the idea of a QT Star Trek from the moment the idea got announced, but it sounds like it's finally time to stop holding our breath.

Adding that he's had no recent conversations with Paramount about the project (which has been gestating for the past few years, with a script written by The Revenant's Mark L. Smith), Tarantino also says that this year's Once Upon a Time in Hollywood may ultimately function as his last big cinematic statement, and that he's got no idea what the follow-up might entail:

“One of the things that Hollywood has done is that it has made me feel like I’ve made my big statement on Hollywood and that there is the accumulation of a career, accumulation of my interest, accumulation of the filmography. If the idea that all the films are a boxcar and it’s all one train, they’re all telling one story. Well, this is the climax, so I can actually see now my 10th movie probably being a little smaller.

You know, an author’s note. And look, I might come up with a really big idea. But right now, the idea of a smaller audience almost all the way around is appealing to me.”

This is, as we mentioned up top, not the biggest shock in the world. Tarantino making a big franchise movie his 10th and final film always seemed questionable, and even moreso given that he didn't write the script himself (worth noting: according to previous reports, Smith's script was based on an idea pitched by Tarantino himself). Furthermore, with every other iron Tarantino currently has in the fire (which includes a limited TV series, a novel, and a play), it's also easy to imagine the timeline on this project being a concern for Paramount. 

In any event, until we hear otherwise, we're going to operate on the assumption that the Quentin Tarantino Star Trek project is no longer moving forward. In the meantime: anyone got a copy of Smith's script? We've heard some very intriguing rumblings re: the plot of that script, but sure would like to confirm those rumblings before sharing with the crowd.

https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2019/12/16/time-to-stop-holding-your-breath-for-quentin-tarantinos-star-trek

I can imagine a Trek directed by Tarantino: 2h45 of Sam Jackson, Tim Robbins, Michael Madsen, Harvey Keitel, Christoph Waltz, etc., sitting on the bridge of the Enterprise and having memorable dialogue with references to the pop culture of 200 years ago. 

Then, on the final 15 minutes, the Enterprise is invaded by Klingons. The crew shoots and explodes the heads of the enemies with their blasters, with Sam Jackson shouting "Someone get these motherfucking klingons out of my motherfucking ship!"

End Credits. First Trek movie to win the Academy Award for Best Screenplay.

24 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Good. There was no reason for this. Star Trek needs to get over it's nostalgia factor and move on. Roddenberry knew this in 1986. 

Star Trek is nostalgia. Always has been always will be.

53 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Nothing can start with nostalgia.

Of course it can. Star Trek did. 

Star Trek was nostalgic from the beginning. It had a familiar quality from the very beginning as it was designed to. Wagon Train in space.

I believe it is a time for a renaissance.  I love western radio shows. A younger version of me would have balked butvdamn they are good. They are so not pc and down right racist by todays standards. The same with WWII dramas. Germans and Japanese are given no human compassion. I love old tv and movies. You see a reality that is truthful. 

I believe QT will only make 10 movies as much as I believed Steven Soderbergh would stick to his "retiring" after Side Effects.  Soderbergh didn't and QT won't either

On 12/5/2017 at 7:56 PM, Sweeping Strings said:

So the next Trek will be 2 hours 45, shot in 70mm but mostly set on the bridge of the Enterprise and being shot by a phaser will make your head explode? 

Great ... :sarcasm:    

Me, back on page 1 of this thread 2 years ago. Seems we are of a similar mind, Edmilson :lol: .