Will Episode 9 be John Williams' final score?

Will JW retire after his Ninth?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Will JW retire after Star Wars: Episode 9?

• Yes, he will retire from writing film music.
    • Yes, he will retire from writing any music, but still perform.
    • Yes he will retire completely.
    • No, he will not retire after ep 9.

7 minutes ago, Sandor said:

Of course there are bigger priorities to John Williams than Academy Awards. Sigh.

I'm so glad you guys know exactly what JW thinks, what he cares about, what drives him and what turns him off. So glad, because I just have to base my notion that Williams still puts some value on winning another Academy Award on all the promotion he did for Memoirs Of A Geisha or the look in his eyes when he entered the stage upon winning the award for Schindler's List.

Gosh, he really had me with those moments I guess. Since you guys obviously have more to go on, I now know that Williams doesn't care about 'stupid Oscars', especially not for commercial films like Star Wars, and that we are his real award.

Right....

Ok, perhaps you're a body language expert so I'll not mess with you. I understand that the Academy Award has a definite value and gives you a certain reputation, but I think that Williams is above these things. He is 85, soon 86 and I believe he makes it for the art itself, not for the golden statue. Why do you think that the wining of another Academy Award will drive him towards?

4 minutes ago, Kostov said:

Ok, perhaps you're a body language expert so I'll not mess with you. I understand that the Academy Award has a definite value and gives you a certain reputation, but I think that Williams is above these things. He is 85, soon 86 and I believe he makes it for the art itself, not for the golden statue. Why do you think that the wining of another Academy Award will drive him towards?

I think it's a pretty normal thing for people to look for appreciation and acknowledgement. Doesn't matter whether you're 8 or 85.

Is it really so hard to accept that for Williams awards can be an important thing, even if it's not the driving force behind him writing music?

I'm confident Williams will overtake Walt Disney's record of 22 Oscars! :D

(although, on a more serious note, he might just come close to Disney's nomination record of 59 -- only 9 more to go!)

48 minutes ago, Sandor said:

I think it's a pretty normal thing for people to look for appreciation and acknowledgement. Doesn't matter whether you're 8 or 85.

Is it really so hard to accept that for Williams awards can be an important thing, even if it's not the driving force behind him writing music?

Yes, it can be but don't think the most important thing. I'm not sure that the Academy will give him an Oscar for Star Wars anymore.

I don't think he'll "retire" from film music, at least in any formal sense. Composers don't really do that. As he has often said, he'll write for as long as he is physically and mentally capable, meaning probably whatever Spielberg films he can manage.

13 minutes ago, Kostov said:

Yes, it can be but don't think the most important thing. I'm not sure that the Academy will give him an Oscar for Star Wars anymore.

I never said THE most important thing...