John Williams' 2018 Concert Schedule

Ricard

Awesome schedule for you lucky Americans.

He's more active than Morricone at this point (who only has three 2018 concerts in Italy booked at this point).

10 minutes ago, Thor said:

He's more active than Morricone at this point (who only has three 2018 concerts in Italy booked at this point).

Yup, and I will be in Florence :-)

16 minutes ago, Thor said:

I haven't found a single recording of a Morricone concert where the playing is satisfactory. Usually, his concerts sound under-rehearsed, or he's just using crappy orchestras.

I saw him live in Royal Albert Hall back in...I think it was 2009 or 2010. Pretty good performance. Surely, someone must have recorded some of the concerts he did back then?

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I saw him live in Royal Albert Hall back in...I think it was 2009 or 2010. Pretty good performance. Surely, someone must have recorded some of the concerts he did back then?

I didn't.

If you find any good concert recording of Morricone, please let me know. It has to be better than decent, otherwise I won't bother with it.

On 12/6/2017 at 1:33 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

I haven't found a single recording of a Morricone concert where the playing is satisfactory. Usually, his concerts sound under-rehearsed, or he's just using crappy orchestras.

I've been in Milan for 6 months and I can confirm this is an Italian Orchestra thing; unless it's La Scala or one of the major opera house orchestras, they are usually out of tune and messy. Not really their fault; it's nearly impossible for full orchestras to make enough money here for full time positions because the Italian government basically only funds opera houses as part of their heritage management and there is no culture of philanthropy except for a few foundations (but they usually prefer to fund museums and artwork over music).

Hi guys,

I don't really post here much but somehow I missed the ticket announcement for JW in Chicago. My wife tried to buy tickets as an Xmas gift but it seems its sold out.  

It has been a lifelong dream to see Williams in concert. If its alright me asking, would like to ask if anyone has any extra tickets you want to sell I would love to pay for 2 tickets so I can bring my wife. 

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

I apologize if this is not the right area to post or ask my question:

I was interested in going to John Williams' Film Night at Tanglewood. My 10 year old twins and myself are huge John Williams fans. My concern was if he would be performing most of his own works there, we are huge Star Wars, Harry Potter, E.T., Idiana Jones/Raiders, Superman, etc Fans. I wasnt sure if the music being performed was more of a collection of pieces by other composers who had films come out during the year?

If anyone has been to one of these concerts in the past that could shed some light on this subject, it wouldf be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, he did four nights, 1st to 4th July. I was at 2nd and 4th. Which ones were you at? I don't have any leaflets, or programmes, but I did get my vinyl copy of THE TOWERING INFERNO (the first JW OST I ever bought) signed on the 4th.

Back in '98, I was in the army. Besides, I had very little means and opportunity to travel to London for the occasion, although I got a postcard greeting from those that did. Little did I know that it would be his last concert appearance in Europe!

Thank God I managed to see him twice in the US since then.

That's insane - and depressing. But lucky you for being there! I was too young and didn't live in the UK then... :( 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 03/02/2018 at 6:07 AM, Breadstick Basilisk said:

Does anyone know if Philly is all sold out? Sorry, not familiar with how fast JW concerts sell-out as I've never been to one. But hoping to go this year before it's too late.

Tickets have just gone on sale now! 

• 5 months later...

Williams wont be present but the Arkansas Symphony will be doing a Star Wars concert Oct. 20 and 21st. Anyone nearby should consider going. The ASO has really improved its brass in the last 10 years and the conductor is a serious Williams fan.