Brace yourselves... The Last Jedi soundtrack will leak any day. Will you listen to it?

YoYoMama

I'm torn... I really want to, but I want to see it in the context of the film. HOWEVER, every single Star Wars movie release for me has been a musical introduction first, followed by the first viewing of the film. I reminisce about the days of listening to the TPM soundtrack over and over and how wonderful it was to see images attached to it later. For me the music has always existed on it's own, as Star Wars has kind of been like a big music video for John Williams with dialogue and SFX. What will you do when it leaks? 

I'm taking a hiatus from JWFan and internet browsing in general until release.  I started 3 days ago. :crymore:

1 minute ago, Taikomochi said:

I'd not bet on us getting so lucky again, so waiting should be easier.

I'd hardly call a leak lucky.  It was especially shitty for TFA as the intial negativity decreased my excitement for the film and score and all of the youtube leaks were low quality half-tempo rips.  

2 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

I'm taking a hiatus from JWFan and internet browsing in general until release.  I started 3 days ago. :crymore:

You're doing well, amigo!

6 minutes ago, Fal said:

Wasn't it really only a few hours early?

It leaked the 15th

Soundtrack was officially released on the 18th

14 hours ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

I'll wait for the complete and chronological release.

You should hold out for the special edition of the film as well.  Who wants to watch a movie with antiquated 2017 CGI.

I'm going to ensure I have a high-quality (320?) version, whenever and wherever it comes from, then get baked and listen to it prior to seeing the film. ¬_¬

I never realized how obsessed people got about film scores. I doubt I'll even buy it on CD. I'll download a leaked version or buy the mp3's from Amazon. 

Just now, Demodex said:

I never realized how obsessed people got about film scores. I doubt I'll even buy it on CD. I'll download a leaked version or buy the mp3's from Amazon. 

And there you go again...

He's right, you know.

I can't imagine a situation arising where a soundtrack becomes so important in real life that I would break out in sweat to actively avoid track lists and trailers and commercials for fear of spoilers.

10 years ago, I would have rolled my eyes myself if someone made this comment, but: you need more life.

Honestly, whenever I meet someone who seems to have a lot of perspective and probably really lives life to the fullest, I do almost always immediately imagine them telling a stranger on the Internet to get a life. Is that weird? I don't think that's weird.

2 hours ago, Demodex said:

You're on a fan forum dedicated to the most acclaimed and accomplished film composer of our time, is it strange people obsess over his music?

There is obsession and there is admiration.

None of us were here if we didn't admire Williams. But the degree to which some brains here seem to be occupied with the most trivial thing, like having a 30 seconds clip of music from a commercial on a constant loop to wonder if it's Williams or not, or analyzing if Williams would use names of places for concert suites or not, I find that weird, to be honest.

I find it hard to believe that this is normal because if a soundtrack takes that much of your mind, and with some people to the point where criticism towards the music is taken as personal offense, there is a certain implication there that not much else is going on there around you. 

I'm gonna listen to the soundtrack, I'll most likely enjoy it, I look forward to it, but seriously, I think if you as an adult had/have the pleasure of feeling the joy and enthusiasm of Family, having work that fulfills you, and everything around it, soundtrack news should add a bit to the day, not make it. I'm not any less of a film music fan than 15 years ago, but I don't obsess over this stuff anymore because I don't think it adds or detracts one bit from my enjoyment.

And I know I may sound a bit like a dick, but looking at some people that have already been here since I first joined XX years ago, or people that have been here for years, they haven't changed a bit. And that's probably not a compliment. 

2 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

And I know I may sound a bit like a dick, but looking at some people that have already been here since I first joined XX years ago, or people that have been here for years, they haven't changed a bit. And that's probably not a compliment. 

You haven't either where it counts.  And that's definitely not a compliment.

It doesn't count on an internet message board at all. That's what counts.

And that's what some people apparently don't understand. This isn't real life. And it takes a far bigger spot in People's lives than what's healthy for them.

Oh, you're offended by something I wrote on an internet message Board, and now you're yelling at me on an internet message board, oh no!

36 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

And that's what some people apparently don't understand. This isn't real life. And it takes a far bigger spot in People's lives than what's healthy for them.

Oh, you're offended by something I wrote on an internet message Board, and now you're yelling at me on an internet message board, oh no!

If you want to give yourself leave to be an utter shit at every turn because the internet "doesn't count" and "isn't real," that's your prerogative.  Yep, it definitely isn't actually still a reflection of who you are as a person, and it's definitely a good use of one's life.  You are on solid ground telling others to get one, surely.

1 hour ago, gkgyver said:

Or don't post at all. Being negative on the internet is the least novel thing you could possibly do. 

I don't think gkgyver is being a dick. He's just saying that it seems weird how obsessive some of you are.  

" But the degree to which some brains here seem to be occupied with the most trivial thing, like having a 30 seconds clip of music from a commercial on a constant loop to wonder if it's Williams or not..."

Yes, this does not seem normal. I love some of Williams's music, but guys, 30 seconds of music should not be live-changing. 

2 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

No.

Seriously?  😢

3 hours ago, gkgyver said:

There is obsession and there is admiration.

None of us were here if we didn't admire Williams. But the degree to which some brains here seem to be occupied with the most trivial thing, like having a 30 seconds clip of music from a commercial on a constant loop to wonder if it's Williams or not, or analyzing if Williams would use names of places for concert suites or not, I find that weird, to be honest.

I find it hard to believe that this is normal because if a soundtrack takes that much of your mind, and with some people to the point where criticism towards the music is taken as personal offense, there is a certain implication there that not much else is going on there around you. 

I'm gonna listen to the soundtrack, I'll most likely enjoy it, I look forward to it, but seriously, I think if you as an adult had/have the pleasure of feeling the joy and enthusiasm of Family, having work that fulfills you, and everything around it, soundtrack news should add a bit to the day, not make it. I'm not any less of a film music fan than 15 years ago, but I don't obsess over this stuff anymore because I don't think it adds or detracts one bit from my enjoyment.

I prefer stamps.

50 minutes ago, Demodex said:

Yes, this does not seem normal. I love some of Williams's music, but guys, 30 seconds of music should not be live-changing.

What's "normal" btw?

Being somewhat familiar with the music before I see the film increases my enjoyment of the movie substantially. It's interesting comparing people's reactions to TFA music initially vs. after a few times through the soundtrack or movie. I remember being disappointed that some of the first reviewers for TFA weren't overly impressed by the score. I ended up loving the music and am eagerly anticipating the last jedi soundtrack. Fully expect to hear some more Jedi Steps, maybe a new Rey/Luke theme, etc. There might be some minor spoilers that us music nerds would pick up on by listening to the soundtrack early - ie, if we hear Yoda's theme in the middle somewhere and realize we're going to get Yoda Force Ghost somewhere- but it won't be anything that would truly spoil the movie. 

2 hours ago, Demodex said:

I don't think gkgyver is being a dick. He's just saying that it seems weird how obsessive some of you are.  

You're both being dicks tbh. I don't understand most of the people here either, but a big new Williams score is coming out and they're excited. So what? 

15 minutes ago, Demodex said:

Someone please tell me if the score leaks. Thanks. 

13 hours ago you wrote: "I never realized how obsessed people got about film scores."

You check in countless times between then and now, and beg people for a leak of the score LOL. 

In the end, you're just like anyone here, aren't you..? ;)