Your year in music with Spotify [EDIT 2018]

toothless

spotify-2017-wrapped.png

So, because I went through a period of 2-3 days where I listened to nothing but "The Bridge of Khazad Dum" on repeat whilst revising for final exams, that suddenly makes Howard Shore the top artist for me? What ridiculousness is this?

And I didn't know that I was such a big fan of Khrennikov's 2nd Symphony either...

Generally speaking I am perplexed by these results. 

10 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Wiener Philharmoniker... Hehehe...

It's an orchestra made with male players only.

Well, not bad... fuck... where's Aznavour???

spotify-2017-wrapped.png

I dunno how Greta Van Fleet didn't make it onto the playlist since we listened to that album like 6 times at least, while I know I only listened to some other stuff on that list (like Total Recall) once or twice via Spotify.  Odd.

• 3 weeks later...

They're pretty much similar although I think Apple Music has a few extras. I'm sure there's a few catalogue titles exclusive to each but I was happy with everything after making the switch to Apple Music!

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, some things that are on Apple Music aren't on Spotify, and some things that are on Spotify aren't on Apple Music... 

But personally, I never really used Spotify. I wish Apple Music would have the same kind of "Year in music" :( 

Apple are all about looking forward 😜

The On the Record documentaries they release for new albums is a great little feature. About 30-45 minutes with interviews and performances. A bit of a hint with where they’re heading with regards to developing video content and their own streaming service.

Spotify are going public and have never been profitable. It’ll be interesting to see how much longer they last because I can’t see what they’re going to do to change their fortunes. Big lawsuit coming up too apparently. 

I tried it for about 10 minutes decided it was the retarded brother of pandora so I deleted it.

The free software had too many commercials on computer, and shuffles the playlist on mobile. Neither condition encourages me to give them money to stream shit I already own.

The paid subscription obviously doesn’t have the ads and it doesn’t shuffle playlists. You can skip tracks on paid and you can download them to your device.

It’s quite cool to be fair but I think Spotify’s days are numbered. There isn’t much money to be made out of it and they don’t have an iPhone to fall back on. 

They have more subscribers yes but they have never been profitable. Once they go profitable they’ll be under increased pressure to make money but if they haven’t been able to do that with 60 million paid subscribers how will they? Apple has a much smaller number of subscribers but Apple can absorb losses because of the size of the company. Spotify doesn’t have revenue streams to fall back on. 

It’s going to be interesting to see where Spotify goes from here but it could be just the owners of it cashing in at the best time.

I hope not though because I like that Apple Music has competition. It keeps it strong. 

I am an avid Apple user but even i want to have nothing to do with Apple Music. The restrictive use and often peculiar way the interface handles my stuff is bad enough in iTunes. The question of profitability is probably something the owners should worry about, as it is it suits me well for the 9.99 per month.

40 minutes ago, publicist said:

The question of profitability is probably something the owners should worry about, as it is it suits me well for the 9.99 per month.

Er well yeah, that’s what I was saying. It is obviously a concern for them and future shareholders. 

But it once it goes public (which it is doing shortly) the shareholders will want a return on their investment and it’ll be interesting to see what Spotify does next in an effort to become profitable. Will they still offer free subs or will the up paid subs, introduce different tiers. Start to develop content etc. 

If Spotify ever close i'll probably switch to Deezer or Qobuz. As much as I can for any software I try not to make it attached to any ecosystem (no apple music and no google play) in case I ever switch rom Android to iOS or from iOS to Android.

1 hour ago, toothless said:

I know, but ther's no guarantee it'll continue to be that way in the future ;)

Wow, that's living in fear xD

On 06/12/2017 at 3:43 PM, Bespin said:

It's an orchestra made with male players only.

It used to be*, but fortunately they began accepting women into the orchestra years ago, and by now I believe most of them have actually gotten used to the idea.

*) They did have a female harpist even before they allowed women for other instruments, but from what I've read she was usually missing from group photos...

• 10 months later...

Why did Matthew Sweet and Our Lips Are Sealed show up?  I think I left something on repeat by mistake?  Anyway, the rest is accurate.  I use Spotify more for popular music than anything else, I guess.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/37i9dQZF1Ejnn299FOPuRo

image.png

• 2 weeks later...

How do you guys find these pictures and summaries and stuff? Do you need to have a Premium account or something? I mean, I can find a playlist of songs when I click the link in the first post, but no "card" like that.

Edit: Just noticed the 'Premium' name in the above photos. So question answered, I obviously don't have that.

Anyways, here's my 2018 playlist (I tend to use Spotify for sampling only, my main listening medium is iTunes and my iTunes collection):

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/37i9dQZF1Ejmcs254TGO2r

Not sure how I managed that much Bergersen or Tyler.

A very different list from a year or two ago. At one point my listening was dominated by Lana Del Rey. (still a fan but she's slower with new material)

MySpotifyWrapped2018.jpg

3 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Not sure how I managed that much Bergersen or Tyler.

A very different list from a year or two ago. At one point my listening was dominated by Lana Del Rey. (still a fan but she's slower with new material)

It's nice to meet a fellow Bergersen fan! 
image.png