THE LAST JEDI - First score description from preview footage shown in Japan

Jwfan2234

COULD CONTAIN SPOILERS

From Reddit, “The score was masterful: unobtrusive and really built up the tension of the action scenes. I can’t wait to hear more of it!”

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLeaks/comments/7i14ge/japan_special_screening_first_1015_minutes_of_tlj/?st=JAVNMX5U&sh=5be09d85

Also this about the music: “Most of what we heard was similar to what was in the trailers. There were a lot of times where silence (or very quiet, tense strings) prevailed for effect.”

JW is a trailer clone confirmed

EDIT - there were also comparisons to RotS, and some music that was “very percussion heavy. Like a military drum march.”

4 minutes ago, someonefun124 said:

Not sure if people are being saracastic, but unobtrusive isn't a bad thing at all. 

Yea, the guy on reddit said the score was amazing 

The tidal wave of emoticon reactions above in response to the first couple of posts are terribly melodramatic and garish IMO. All a person said somewhere is that it was unobtrusive. Big wow! Better shut down the forum 😱

My thought though was that this is possibly just somebody whom in the past has found Williams to be a bit overbearing in other films, which he can be. 

5 hours ago, Tom said:

So, I am bored tonight and looked at SWNN.  the main guy over there vouched for the following, non-spoiler review.  I place it here for the score reference:

"Wow, that was a lot to digest. Some initial impressions

Don't worry guys. IMO It was incredible. Never had 2 and a half hours fly by so quickly. Probably won't come as a surprise when I say its darker and more serious compared with TFA. TFA also moved at a brisk pace while TLJ almost takes its time, but definitely wouldn't say its slow. That soundtrack! Also its a very nice looking movie, loved the vfx as usual.

Also you may have to give TFA a rewatch before seeing this. Now gotta wait for Episode 9, ffs."

Yeah, I wouldn’t believe a word from SWNN and that review is so vague...

Yeah, what he said certainly makes sense for the movie from a structural point of view. He's essentially describing an action opening sequence not unlike that of the original Star Wars, which is a good way to go about constructing this episode.

Although, with Abrams helming the last installment, one must wonder how all of this will play out. Abrams is also fond of the idea of an opening action scene, but outside of James Bond movies, its unusual in film trilogies to have a grand action opening to all three pictures. Look at the Middle Earth films, the previous Star Wars trilogies, etcetra. There's always an odd one out, and there's a reason for it.