THE LAST JEDI - Verizon's Death Star 360 Promo music

Will

Is the music in this commercial from John Williams' Last Jedi score?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Is the music in this commercial from John Williams' Last Jedi score?

• Yes, I think this music is from the Last Jedi score
    • I think its from The Last Jedi, but altered by someone else
    • No, I don't think this music is by John Williams at all.

This poll is closed to new votes

Just a quick note, since that second use of the piece is a different cut, it also has new material in it in the beginning, and you can hear the string rhythm isn't as edited at the beginning either...

I'm aaalllmost 100% on this being cuts/edits of a real TLJ track, they're using different edits of music that doesn't contain any existing star wars themes (as most made-for-trailer music does) - could always be wrong, but going with my gut on this one haha

45 minutes ago, Muad'Dib said:

Everyone, quickly! Change your votes!

But........to WHAT?!?! :crymore: (P.S. I haven't voted because I'm a wuss)

Btw there is an almost imperceptible slowing down in tempo of the second instance of the main statement (after the ~0:22 mark), compared to the first instance.

Just try it yourself with the tempo tapper:

Start from the first beat at 0:05 and tap until 0:15; you should end up with something between 100-101 bpm. 

Now start from the main beat of 0:22 and tap until 0:28. You should end up with something between 98-99 bpm.

To me it sounds like a natural rallentando in anticipation of the big transition with the string and wind run at 0:28.

Of course this could have been programmed in to a DAW...but I think it's evidence pointing to a higher likelihood that this was recorded live in some form (without a click track...???)

Besides, the fact that there are multiple microedits (0:02, 0:16, 0:31) suggest to me that there is something fishy going on here. Particularly the edit at 0:31, you can hear a flute in the high register, but it sounds kinda weird, almost as if we are hearing the very end of a missing woodwind run. Again, this could just be the people behind the trailer editing a piece of stock orchestral sampled music, not necessarily Williams' score for TLJ...if so then it's a very well-programmed piece of stock orchestral sampled music!

7 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

It's orchestral with SYNTH overlays. (Those of you on the other thread will get it.)

Yeah, that's hilarious.  So is your persistent Gordy Haab name dropping.  Ignored!

2 hours ago, Loert said:

Besides, the fact that there are multiple microedits (0:02, 0:16, 0:31) suggest to me that there is something fishy going on here. Particularly the edit at 0:31, you can hear a flute in the high register, but it sounds kinda weird, almost as if we are hearing the very end of a missing woodwind run. Again, this could just be the people behind the trailer editing a piece of stock orchestral sampled music, not necessarily Williams' score for TLJ...if so then it's a very well-programmed piece of stock orchestral sampled music!

I noticed the edit here too, and to me it sounds like the suspended cymbal changes channels during that run, like the editor used a synth cymbal to mask the edit (a common technique). They could have used other samples too to "enhance" the music, like what was done in the first teaser for TFA, when the Main Title plays with an obvious synth bass boost.

I'm still convinced it's Williams/TLJ music that has been tampered with. I'm not eating my hat just yet!

Nah, while I do find the terminology mix ups annoying, I'm not actually bothered by the spiteful and/or humorous persistence of it, I'm just doing my "ignored" schtick (only a few posters on here are actually ignored).  But I will take any opportunity to point out my distaste for you.  It's good sport.

3 hours ago, RadJ said:

I stand corrected!  :D

But not convinced it's 100% sample based.  The brass sounds really realistic if that's the case :)

I guess it can be Berlin Brass. It sounds really nice when in good hands.

It was written to accompany Jar-Jar Bink's cameo, showing him as a powerful sith lord.

6 minutes ago, crumbs said:

It's Desplat's rejected score from Rogue One!

I totally understand why his score was rejected. Desplat's style is too narrow, and I don't think for a second he would have been able to crate a score with the required SW sound. Gnoccimoto made a good replacement score, if not great. I wonder what he would have accomplished if he had more than a month to write the music.

Here is an extended version of the piece it would seem.

EDIT:

Random thought 1: flutes @ 1:46 are drowned in reverb and sound unrealistic to me.

Random thought 2: I like the composition/theme, even though it appears to be pretty "lazy" in some places.

Random thought 3: I think I prefer Giacchino's "Imperial Suite".

2 hours ago, zaddini said:

Here is an extended version of the piece it would seem.

EDIT:

Random thought 1: flutes @ 1:46 are drowned in reverb and sound unrealistic to me.

Random thought 2: I like the composition/theme, even though it appears to be pretty "lazy" in some places.

Random thought 3: I think I prefer Giacchino's "Imperial Suite".

0:58 is a dead giveaway with the cymbal cresendo. No way in hell that is real. Also, the recording does not sound at all like TFA (MGM stage in LA). 

30 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

Is it just me, or does this Daisy Ridley chick come across as kind of a bitch every time I see her speak (not that often I admit)? Just has that aura.

She's just british.

5 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It was written to accompany Jar-Jar Bink's cameo, showing him as a powerful sith lord.

I totally understand why his score was rejected. Desplat's style is too narrow, and I don't think for a second he would have been able to crate a score with the required SW sound. Gnoccimoto made a good replacement score, if not great. I wonder what he would have accomplished if he had more than a month to write the music.

Desplat mostly writes dainty little chamer scores for pretige dramas and the likes.

Star Wars needs atleast some bluster and grandstanding. 

Well, most brits here are kind of bitchy, too, so there's that.

But Sorry, I mistook this place as a landing Zone for wanted new discussion, but I see I insulted the reigning order of Gods of Bedroom Fantasies.

Accept my apology. Carry on.

1 hour ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Desplat mostly writes dainty little chamer scores for pretige dramas and the likes.

Star Wars needs atleast some bluster and grandstanding. 

One has to wonder how Desplat got the job in the first place. Probably because the director insisted, but it was certainly a case of bad judgement by the executives to allow it. Although I'm not really a Gia fan, I'd say he's probably the best heir to the SW music throne.

48 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

Is it just me, or does this Daisy Ridley chick come across as kind of a bitch every time I see her speak (not that often I admit)? Just has that aura.

I'm sure the bitchiness would give way to passive eyelash batting and awestruck lust upon meeting such a paradigm of manliness and virility as yourself.