THE LAST JEDI - Verizon's Death Star 360 Promo music

Will

Is the music in this commercial from John Williams' Last Jedi score?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Is the music in this commercial from John Williams' Last Jedi score?

• Yes, I think this music is from the Last Jedi score
    • I think its from The Last Jedi, but altered by someone else
    • No, I don't think this music is by John Williams at all.

This poll is closed to new votes

Just now, Skywanker said:

Same music what is in Verizon Promo. Williams confirmed.

Actually it's confirmed the music isn't in the film. Maybe it was composed by Williams, but very unlikely.

2 minutes ago, Chewy said:

How are we sure about this?

People have seen the film and have confirmed the theme is not in the film. I kinda take it they're not making stuff like that up. 

And what Jay said. ;) 

34 minutes ago, Sandor said:

Actually it's confirmed the music isn't in the film. Maybe it was composed by Williams, but very unlikely.

Maybe it was written for the cut scenes which JW scored before being cut.

10 minutes ago, zaddini said:

@Loert

What has confused you, fellow JWfan?

The fact that after all that brilliant brass work, the staccato flutes you mentioned sound so bad.

That part is also so similar to the Imperial March (literally the same notes just different pitches) that it seems very improbable now that JW would ever write something like that.

But then why is it so similar to the Imperial March in the first place, and why is it used in these promo videos? I'm starting to think that it was specifically written for them...

1 hour ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Desplat mostly writes dainty little chamer scores for pretige dramas and the likes.

Star Wars needs atleast some bluster and grandstanding. 

Desplat is more than capable of providing bluster and granstanding, thank you very much.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

One has to wonder how Desplat got the job in the first place. Probably because the director insisted, but it was certainly a case of bad judgement by the executives to allow it. Although I'm not really a Gia fan, I'd say he's probably the best heir to the SW music throne.

giphy.webp

1 hour ago, Chewy said:

I honestly would have loved to see Desplat scoring Rogue One.

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

He would ruin the SW sound

giphy.webp

1 hour ago, Chewy said:

Harry Potter 7, both parts, are great scores.

giphy.webp

OMG Enough Desplat talk on this thread, some love him, some hate him, and some think Porgs should be a basic food group... And back to the issue at hand...

1 minute ago, ocelot said:

OMG Enough Desplat talk on this thread, some love him, some hate him, and some think Porgs should be a basic food group... And back to the issue at hand...

I don't see you talking about Verizon's Death Star 360 Promo music either.

19 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What has he done which sounds remotely like SW?

If you're asking me for Williams-esque writing, well:

Just a few examples of how Desplat channels Williams' writing temperament more authentically than anything in Gia's Rogue One ever did.

With that said, the rest of his diverse oeuvre shows that Desplat is more than capable of staying close to the established SW sound while retaining his own stylistic integrity.

Desplat has his moments for sure, but I still believe his style is too constraint, or maybe it's better to call it a characteristic musical identity. This is of course a good thing for a composer, but not necessarily if you're following in the footsteps of other great composers. I don't sense that strong identity in Gia's scores.

29 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I don't see you talking about Verizon's Death Star 360 Promo music either.

Wait isn't this the Porg vs Pork thread?

28 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

You say that, while also saying Gia is the best heir to the SW music throne? This is confusing, to say the least!

What I say is that I believe Gia's more capable of emulating the SW sound. Does that confuse you? It's just a matter of personal opinions.

27 minutes ago, ocelot said:

Wait isn't this the Porg vs Pork thread?

Maybe they were combined because both threads were stupid? :D

5 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

Desplat > Gia, 

NEXT!

Quite possibly yes, but that doesn't mean he's the best candidate for scoring SW movies. I personally think Philip Glass is a better composer than both Desplat and Gia, but I wouldn't have him scoring a SW film.

• 2 weeks later...

Another trailer with footage I haven't seen before. Could that be unreleased Williams music? I've reached out to the usual suspects on Twitter but am yet to receive a reply about whether or not it's something they worked on. It's certainly isn't Gordy Haab, I know that much.

I assume you already know this and are just trying to be funny, but that's a trailer from 1976 and the music is "Winter" from Vivaldi's Four Seasons.

• 1 year later...

I thought it was Williams as well. Impressive writing by whoever did it, very Williams-y in tone and it came at exactly the time we were all expecting a First Order march. Fooled! 

It's likely a piece of stock music. There was another video that ILM released around the same time detailing some of the VFX; many people also thought the music in that video was from the film, but it ended up being just some stock music from audionetwork.com.

On 9/5/2019 at 10:56 AM, crumbs said:

I thought it was Williams as well. Impressive writing by whoever did it, very Williams-y in tone and it came at exactly the time we were all expecting a First Order march. Fooled! 

you never know.There was another commercial with The Spark motif and that turned out to be real

16 hours ago, King Mark said:

you never know.There was another commercial with The Spark motif and that turned out to be real

Right, in the trailer:

AFAIK no one here (including myself) even considered the possibility that could be a JW motif! 

Ah, the one that got away...  I too was reminiscing about this the other day.  I still wish this had been legit, even if that string run is a little too far into the realm of Imperial pastiche.  In a film that provided appallingly few opportunities for great new character/setpiece themes from the Maestro, a proper First Order theme is the one real missed opportunity in the score.

7 hours ago, Will said:

Right, in the trailer:

AFAIK no one here (including myself) even considered the possibility that could be a JW motif! 

Not to be that guy but there's quite a bit of speculation about this exact motif in a thread from October 2017. @ChrisAfonso looks to be the first poster to point out the bass line was a play on the Imperial March, which turned out to be 100% accurate. There's probably more speculation in the TLJ threads from the same time period.

If the final TROS trailer has any music that can't be pinned to an existing SW theme, it's almost certainly going to be something adapted from new TROS music/themes.