How much do you spend on average per month on film music (CDs / Vinyls / Downloads only)?

How much do you spend on average per month on film music (CDs / Vinyls / Downloads only)?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. How much do you spend on average per month on film music (CDs / Vinyls / Downloads only)?

• $0-19.99
    • $20-49.99
    • $50-99.99
    • $100 or more
    • Nothing

Out of interest, what does the average JW Fan spend on film music?

If you feel like it, tell us why.

In my case, $0-19.99, but closer to $0, due to heavy financial constraints.

It differs on a month by month basis. Probably not as much as most people on here but I buy a couple of LLL releases every year and I pick up albums in Tower as I find them.  I do buy second hand from time to time. 

Apple Music at €9.99 a month is the only constant. 

A Star Wars "Year", it cost more :yes:

"$20-49.99".

Counting all the physical CDs I bought of other genres, it's "$50-99.99".

NOTE: Yes that's a weird poll asking Yes/No for each option, as we can't logically chose more than one.

Very, very little. Hardly anything. I get free digital promos for a lot of stuff, and there's Spotify and other streaming services for the rest.

In terms of physical acquisitions, there is now months or even years between each one. But I still need to have CDs for my "completist" artists. As of now, I need to acquire these physical albums, but there's no rush. I need to find bargain deals for all of them:

John Williams - Goodbye Mr. Chips [already have the LP]
John Williams - Stanley & Iris/Pete'n'Tillie [already have the STANLEY & IRIS OST]
John Williams - The Last Jedi
John Williams - The Post

Danny Elfman - The End of the Tour [already have a digital album]
Danny Elfman - Avengers: Age of Ultron [already have a digital album]
Danny Elfman - Goosebumps [already have a digital album]
Danny Elfman - The Girl on the Train [already have a digital album]
Danny Elfman - Before I Wake
Danny Elfman - Fifty Shades Darker
Danny Elfman - The Circle [already have a digital album]
Danny Elfman - Tulip Fever [already have a digital album]
Danny Elfman - Justice League [already have a digital album]

Elliot Goldenthal - Othello Symphony [already have the original Varese CD]
Elliot Goldenthal - Symphony in G Minor [already have a "concert recording"]
Elliot Goldenthal - A Midsummer Night's Dream

Alan Parsons - Symphonic Project Live in Colombia (BluRay)

Roger Waters - Is This The Life We Really Want?

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

NOTE: Yes that's a weird poll asking Yes/No for each option, as we can't logically chose more than one.

Ok, I figured it out, have now amended the options and added a few more.

1 hour ago, Woj said:

I don't know and I don't want to know. 

Lucky fish, wish I could say the same!

5 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Depends entirely on whether I'm interested in specialty label stuff.

This.

Well I have a Spotify account but only listen to Soundtracks so I spend 9€99 per month. I do wish spotify would come up with a HiFi offer. I considered switching to qobuz but I don't want to lose my HUGE playlist.

1 hour ago, toothless said:

Well I have a Spotify account but only listen to Soundtracks so I spend 9€99 per month. I do wish spotify would come up with a HiFi offer. I considered switching to qobuz but I don't want to lose my HUGE playlist.

Tidal offers HiFi, but they don't have the soundtrack selection as Spotify.

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Zero.

Interesting. So how do you listen to the latest JW releases from LLL et al (assuming you do)?

35 minutes ago, Thor said:

How does the selection of Spotify compare with Deezer (we don't have Spotify in my country)?

1 hour ago, JTWfan77 said:

How does the selection of Spotify compare with Deezer (we don't have Spotify in my country)?

It's more or less the same thing ;)

2 hours ago, Thor said:

Yes and so does Deezer.

But qobuz allows for even better quality and allows to download the music (only price reduction on downloads)  : http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/plans/music-streaming-subscription .

The thing is I don't want to re build all my playlists into another streaming service so I'm stuck with Spotify quality (which is not that bad)

I don’t buy as much as I used to. The CD labels flooded the market so stuff isnt going OOP as quick as it used to. Plus FSM is gone, Varese has slowed down their club releases and Intrada and LLL have cut down on their releases as well. 

I used to grab stuff as soon as it was released, now I can wait and do bulk orders or grab one score I really want and wait to pick up the rest at a later date.

Also, unless it has John Williams or Michael Giacchino’s name on it, I don’t buy a lot of newer scores. The poor quality of most film music these days has saved me a lot of money. So 90% of the scores I buy are pre 2000. 

So if you were to average it out to a monthly basis, I’d say probably a CD and a 1/2.

Depending on label rekeases, there are exceptions, but I usually sit in the $20 or less range.

I get most of all the new releases as digital promos, like Thor, so am really only buying scores for my personal collection and the occasional rock album on iTunes.