THE LAST JEDI - New IMDB Credits

Manakin Skywalker

13 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Anyone check the IMDB page lately? There's a lot of bizarre credits in the music department; not sure if they're fake or not.

LOL, I love this one

Alan Silvestri ...

composer agent

Robert Meyer Burnett just tweeted that the score sounds pretty incredible. Not sure how to copy and paste a tweet, lol. Sorry, his handle is @BurnettRM if someone wants to copy it.

There's a bunch of intriguing new credits on the Last Jedi's music department on IMDB:

George Doering musician (guitar soloist on Spectre, Man of Steel, John Carter)
Paul Kegg musician: cello (credit only) (cellist on A New Hope & Empire)
Randy Kerber musician: celeste (keyboard on TFA)
Joel McNeely orchestrator (composer of Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire)
John Neufeld orchestrator (credit only)
Conrad Pope orchestrator/music preparation (credit only)
Jasper Randall vocal contractor (choir contractor La La Land, Beauty and the Beast)
William Ross orchestrator (composer Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, TFA)
Alan Silvestri composer agent
Mark Edward Smith score vocalist (vocalist on La La Land, Avatar)
Sally Stevens vocal contractor (choir contractor on TFA, WOTW, Amistad)
Susie Stevens-Logan choir vocals (soloist on Rogue One, vocalist on La La Land)
Todd Strange vocal choir (choir on Rogue One)
Benjamin Wallfisch

composer agent

We can assume the random Ben Wallfisch / composer agent credit is related to a trailer composer, ditto Alan Silvestri!?

Intrigued by the credits for Neufeld, Pope, McNeely and Ross. Was under the impression Williams orchestrated the entirety of TLJ himself, so does this indicate there's some reused music from the OT/prequels in TLJ?

Also, a guitar soloist and two separate vocal/chorus contractors. Safe to assume that chorus plays a larger role in TLJ than TFA.

17 minutes ago, ocelot said:

LOL, I love this one

Alan Silvestri ...

composer agent

Robert Meyer Burnett just tweeted that the score sounds pretty incredible. Not sure how to copy and paste a tweet, lol. Sorry, his handle is @BurnettRM if someone wants to copy it.

He's seen it already?

3 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Somebody should ask Conrad Pope on Facebook since he was added to the list as well.

'Credit only' denotes that they didn't directly work on the film but received a credit for other reasons, such as the use of their work from an existing film. That's the intriguing thing about Pope & Neufeld's credits as they were orchestrators on the OT/PT. This could indicate a cue they orchestrated from an earlier film has been reused in TLJ. Bit perplexed by the 'credit only' cellist from ANH/ESB though...

Still, the guitar soloist and choir has me excited; two flavours I was hoping JW would intertwine into this score. Rey's Theme on guitar is perfection:

16 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Somebody should ask Conrad Pope on Facebook since he was added to the list as well.

Could the credits just be false credits. many people add things to IMDB, after a while they are taken down if they don't actually ring true. Williams did orchestrate everything himself and then send it to Joanne Kane like with TFA I thought. Even Conrad said that everytime he has take a job from Williams he's a glorified copyist. Williams hands him completely orchestrated notes, he's just spreading it out onto a full conductor page. (you should have heard what he said about other composers...)

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

This could indicate a cue they orchestrated from an earlier film has been reused in TLJ.

I highly, highly doubt that. In fact I'm going to say right now that's not going to happen.

16 hours ago, ocelot said:

(you should have heard what he said about other composers...)

Yeah.  About that... Pope can certainly say and think whatever he likes, but going by the same principle, I have to say that his tendency towards being disparaging and even disrespectful about colleagues is immensely off putting.  It is not a good color at all, and strikes me as more than a little unprofessional.  Whether this is in private or somewhere visible on the internet doesn't matter.  I think that kind of frankly catty demeanor is reprehensible.

I agree. While I appreciate the amount of candid insight he offers into the process and the industry, I think a seasoned professional like Pope should know better about speaking ill of his colleagues.

1 minute ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Yeah.  About that... Pope can certainly say and think whatever he likes, but going by the same principle, I have to say that his tendency towards being disparaging and even disrespectful about colleagues is immensely off putting.  It is not a good color at all, and strikes me as more than a little unprofessional.  Whether this is in private or somewhere visible on the internet doesn't matter.  I think that kind of frankly catty demeanor is reprehensible.

Actually he wasn't being disparaging, that's probably a mistake in my wording, apologies, it's more in the sense of what he and others have to do as an orchestrator when it's not and should never be under the orchestrator title and how they are treated by some of the composers. He also says he's extremely blessed to be working, especially nowadays. And what he loves about Williams is how he is respected and treated as a colleague and how he is kept on a schedule that works really well with no rushing needed. Hope that clarifies my post.

1 minute ago, KK said:

I agree. While I appreciate the amount of candid insight he offers into the process and the industry, I think a seasoned professional like Pope should know better about speaking ill of his colleagues.

Again, my wording made it seem like he was being nasty about composers, he was not, at least not to me, it was about what he has to do on many films with other composers that should not be under the orchestrator title.

He's a humble guy, and a man with genuine convictions, but he has often been rather open about his grievances against some of the composers he's worked with, on Facebook and whatnot.

14 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I highly, highly doubt that. In fact I'm going to say right now that's not going to happen.

You mean pre-existing SW music being used in a later film is highly unlikely? What about the Throne Room? Leia's Theme arrangement? Duel Of The Fates? And the ca. 48 times the Binary Sunset cue was re-used?

19 hours ago, ocelot said:

Thanks!

Actually, He wasn't even at the Premiere. He watched the live stream and thought the music playing belonged to John Williams. I watched the entire livestream, however, and I can tell you that it was just some rearranged trailer music.

3 hours ago, Luke Montgomery said:

Actually, He wasn't even at the Premiere. He watched the live stream and thought the music playing belonged to John Williams. I watched the entire livestream, however, and I can tell you that it was just some rearranged trailer music.

Yeah Iw as wondering about that. Watched it too and he wasn't with the Collider crew, plus they were still going into the venue when he said it. I can't imagine though that he was commenting on the livestream.... That wasn't the score at all, it was synth drums and samples. Maybe he has an early copy of the score to review? Dunno...

On 12/9/2017 at 7:53 PM, crumbs said:

Bit perplexed by the 'credit only' cellist from ANH/ESB though...

Sounds to me like they tracked some stuff from those films.

No idea. Maybe the info added to IMDB is legit, but incomplete. Or maybe some of it's legit and some's not. Or maybe it's all bullshit. We'll know soon, right?

The cellist credit is ridiculously specific for something fake. Not like TFA didn't set a precedent for reusing OT music but I feel like they only resorted to that due to time constraints and not having access to Williams after October. It was clearly a late decision as that was one of the last cues recorded.

The release date of the soundtrack can't come soon enough as we are grasping at all and any peripherally linked news or info on the music now. :P 

It's becoming like cabin fever.

Even worse I'll probably buy the soundtrack Friday morning then resist the temptation of listening until after I see the film Friday night (when it opens Thursday here... aghhhh!)

Luckily it opens here on Wednesday 13th so I'll hear the music in the film at least but I have to wait for Friday like everyone else for the soundtrack album.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

The cellist credit is ridiculously specific for something fake. Not like TFA didn't set a precedent for reusing OT music but I feel like they only resorted to that due to time constraints and not having access to Williams after October. It was clearly a late decision as that was one of the last cues recorded.

But... But things like that weren't meant to happen with Johnson! You told us so yourself! Johnson would surely be more respectful of Williams' music, and there wouldn't be tracked music or hacked up cues! Was that all a lie, crumbs?

Wouldn't Empire and Phantom Menace be the only sequels in the whole series that didn't track in music from another film's score? It's basically tradition at this point.

Even then, those two instead tracked music from their own score. :lol:

Just now, crumbs said:

Wouldn't Empire and Phantom Menace be the only sequels in the whole series that didn't track in music from another film's score? It's basically tradition at this point.

And even then, those two scores tracked music from their own score. :lol:

Yep those are the only two I believe (and Rogue One of course)

7 minutes ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

The Rogue One score was alright.

No more, no less.

Guys, regarding the possible tracked music in the end credits, if that is where you guys are saying it is. There was a post a while ago, can't remember on what website, where it was said that Williams is doing a tribute to Carrie Fisher in the end credits. Maybe that's what it is being used for?

I don't understand your post.  There was a recent discussion of how TFA's end credits were changed from the theaters to the blu ray, but nobody said anything about TLJ's end credits that I'm aware of.

5 hours ago, crumbs said:

Even then, those two instead tracked music from their own score. :lol:

ROTJ tracked music from ESB.  When Luke visits Yoda before his death and when Luke asks Leia about her mother (I think!).

He knows that, he said Empire and TPM tracked in music from their own scores, while all the other ones (including ROTJ) tracked in music from other scores.