THE LAST JEDI - Score mentions in online reviews & social media, etc

crumbs

Yikers,  I didn't realize JWFanners would be seeing the film this early! My bad!

I'll start the spoiler threads now!

I wonder if anyone who has seen/heard the score would consider it stronger or weaker than TFA? My prediction = about the same, the themes will be disappointing, but other things will make up for it.

Hehe, except for the first one I just did not click any other spoilers. That's surprising. For once I'm happy to just get the cd or get to the film, whichever comes first.

7 hours ago, someonefun124 said:

I don't like the sound of recycled OT material. :(

Seriously it's a few days. Trust me, you'll love the score. Recycled OT means they used the themes, which he has to. Luke is there Leia is there, if they are together, Luke and Leia's theme is used. If there is a force ghost of Yoda, his theme will be used. Force theme, Rebel Fanfare etc etc... It's part of the same universe so of course he will be using these themes or it wouldn't make sense. Relax, go, and enjoy!

On 12/10/2017 at 7:23 AM, BloodBoal said:

Still, finding TFA to be the weakest score in a series that has AOTC in it...

Anyone who thinks that has no taste or is just idiotic.

9 minutes ago, Joe Brausam said:

I went to a press screening.

Nice! And I second @Lewya's question: how was the score? I can handle "spoilers" about the music but I'm hesitant to venture into other threads out of fear of the plot being spoiled.

30 minutes ago, ocelot said:

If there is a force ghost of Yoda, his theme will be used.

Nice subtle spoilers there, sheesh.............................................."If"......................................................................................................................................:eh::eh:

Just now, Saxman717 said:

Nice subtle spoilers there, sheesh.............................................."If"......................................................................................................................................:eh::eh:

I haven't seen it, how would I know.... I was just thinking off the top of my head about possible OT themes, lol, trying to get him to be happier while he waits.

1 minute ago, Joe Brausam said:

Wow..

If that was for me, again, I have not seen the film, I'm just thinking of possible OT themes and how they could be used....

11 minutes ago, ocelot said:

I haven't seen it, how would I know.... I was just thinking off the top of my head about possible OT themes, lol, trying to get him to be happier while he waits.

If that was for me, again, I have not seen the film, I'm just thinking of possible OT themes and how they could be used....

OK, whew -- thank you foe clarifying!  Now, if Force Ghost Yoda DOES end up being in TLJ, I will be coming for you!!! :lol:

8 hours ago, artguy360 said:

I imagine Luke and Leia's theme making an appearance but I don't know what else JW would repeat from ROTJ. I wonder if these early preview people are familiar enough with JW's music to be trusted or if the music has some superficial similarities to past Star Wars scores that they mistake for whole quotes or if there is tracked music in the film from ROTJ, which would strike me as odd.

If JW was unable to score the last minute changes to the film (because of The Post), then they might have tracked some earlier SW music...

8 hours ago, artguy360 said:

I imagine Luke and Leia's theme making an appearance but I don't know what else JW would repeat from ROTJ. I wonder if these early preview people are familiar enough with JW's music to be trusted or if the music has some superficial similarities to past Star Wars scores that they mistake for whole quotes or if there is tracked music in the film from ROTJ, which would strike me as odd.

The cue from ROTJ is an extended version of Lapti Nek... the whole unreleased 15 minutes.

14 hours ago, Hawmy said:

Man this thread is interesting when you don't look at the spoilers

Hahah, I was just thinking the same thing! Reveal hidden contents, reveal hidden contents, etc.

I can wait 2 more days...I think.

https://makingstarwars.net/2017/12/jason-wards-spoiler-free-star-wars-last-jedi-first-viewing-review/

The Williams score is pretty solid as one would expect. I saw it in a great theater and it really sold the music well. That said, I enjoyed the mixture of new themes with old themes. There’s a version of The Jedi Steps that seriously blows away the version in The Force Awakens. I honestly left The Force Awakens being a little hard on the score and then I came around to it. I left The Last Jedi wishing I had the score on me. That said, there weren’t any new leitmotifs that really stood out to me on my first viewing but scores tend to stick with me or rub me the wrong way after repeatedly viewing them.

1 minute ago, Holko said:

:w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t: 24 hours!! (plus 40 minutes of trailers and commercials)

40 minutes?! So glad they narrowed it down to about 10 minutes in The Netherlands..! Seeing the film in about in 16 hours..! 

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/79100

We are treated to a familiar soundtrack as John Williams continues to remix his original themes to match the current installment. The score is as beautiful as it always was, no doubt about that.

http://theforce.net/story/front/Ryans_Review_SpoilerFree_Review_Of_The_Last_Jedi_177953.asp

Of course, John Williams knocked it out of the park again. Rose's theme is easily the best of the new music. 

17 hours ago, Saxman717 said:

OK, whew -- thank you foe clarifying!  Now, if Force Ghost Yoda DOES end up being in TLJ, I will be coming for you!!! :lol:

16 hours ago, king mark said:

whew..I thought there was  ghost Yoda

Who am I to go to the premiere or prep screening. I haven't even booked my ticket to a showing yet, lol

What I also take out of the reactions, is that music stands out. It's part of the experience. It's noticeable in a way the music from the OT had so many moments to shine. I think TFA laid the foundation and now the music is taken to new heights. Can't wait. 15 more hours. :)

Wow so much new reactions. Now I just can't wait to see this movie and hear Williams music saturday in Dolby Atmos. Of course I will listen to the soundtrack on repeat as soon as it lands on spotify here on friday.

While I love the prequel scores as pure music, I am much more of a fan of the organic approach to leitmotif that TFA had, and that seems to be continuing in TLJ.

The prequels almost steer away from leitmotif in some ways in the way it uses themes.

31 minutes ago, Pawel P. said:

My review, no spoilers. In Polish. http://film.onet.pl/recenzje/gwiezdne-wojny-ostatni-jedi-ostatni-beda-pierwszymi-recenzja-bez-spoilerow/2q6lep

Don't believe the malcontents. I saw the movie today and the score is really great. And it's not about recycling old music because, apart from old themes, there's a lot of exciting new music, not just only two new themes. And even two scenes with choirs - short but very emotional and epic.

Brilliant score. Williams did it again! Can't wait for the CD, hope to get it tomorrow. I wonder what he chose from this, since the film has about 130 minutes of music.

Well with Williams' track record, he probably chose that powerful rendition of The Jedi Steps, that awesome version of The Resistance March, all of the important and dramatic emotional swells of Rey's theme, and left them off the OST in favour of non-thematic suspense cues. Otherwise, he would consider himself to be showing off.

54 minutes ago, Pawel P. said:

My review, no spoilers. In Polish. http://film.onet.pl/recenzje/gwiezdne-wojny-ostatni-jedi-ostatni-beda-pierwszymi-recenzja-bez-spoilerow/2q6lep

Don't believe the malcontents. I saw the movie today and the score is really great. And it's not about recycling old music because, apart from old themes, there's a lot of exciting new music, not just only two new themes. And even two scenes with choirs - short but very emotional and epic.

Brilliant score. Williams did it again! Can't wait for the CD, hope to get it tomorrow. I wonder what he chose from this, since the film has about 130 minutes of music.

Can you share a bit more information on the choir material..? I love choirs.