THE LAST JEDI - Score mentions in online reviews & social media, etc

crumbs

The choirs, in addition to the themes related to Snoke, appear in the last quarters of the movie, in two very dramatic and intense action sequences - one related to

Spoiler

Finn

, the other to

Spoiler

Luke.

I can't say that the load of emotions and beauty is as big as in "Anakin's Betrayal", I won't go that far, but it sounded big and effective. I  just have to repeat that these are short fragments, lasting approximately 30-40 seconds. Whether and in what form they will be on the album, I have no idea.

@Joe Brausam is this one of the moments you mentioned before where you thought it was as close as Williams has got to modern action scoring? Wondering if you thought it worked or you didn't like it... So interesting to see how Williams adapts his style for modern cinema! 

2 minutes ago, Joe Brausam said:

Poe’s theme does return in the first half of the film, but I didn’t notice it during the last act.

I’d compare Rose’s theme, at least the first half, to a major mode version of the force theme.  Usually performed by higher woodwinds, flute, clarinet, etc.  But it gets big statements as well.  If I remember right the melody is always in 4/4, with two upward slurring sixteenth’s on the last beat of the first measure, followed by a beat 1 in a downward interval.  The second measure ends the same way.  That much I remember clearly.

Hedwig - yes, that’s one of those moments.

that's great,i loved poe's theme :D

Thanks @Joe Brausam! Would be interested as to what your thoughts are about it, cause even if it sounded unusual for Williams I'm sure it was still delivered with the 'sophistication' Williams always brings? (I hope)

http://www.vulture.com/2017/12/star-wars-the-last-jedi-review.html?utm_source=nym&utm_medium=f1&utm_campaign=feed-full

Johnson might be stuck with multiple story lines, but each has its own look, its own palette to match the many motifs in John Williams’s ever-invigorating score, which quotes from itself constantly and still sounds fresh.

And another positive from someone who was not much a fan of TFA's score (or The Post's for that matter):

After a surprisingly weak score for The Force Awakens, John Williams is back on his game with The Last Jedi meaning that, if nothing else, this sounds like Star Wars. Williams has scored two movies this year (not bad for an 85-year old) and his efforts here are better than his workmanlike music for The Post. In addition to composing new material, Williams mixes in popular themes from every film in the original trilogy, including “The Imperial March.”

What he wrote about TFA:

John Williams’ score won’t go down as the best in his long, Oscar-winning career. His new themes are neither strong nor memorable. But he knows how to use what he composed three decades ago. Some of The Force Awakens’ most emotionally resonant moments result from the music. There’s a scene, in which a full rendition of the “Force Theme” (sometimes referred to as “Luke’s Theme”), coupled with the actions of a new cast member, nearly brought me to tears. That’s the power of nostalgia and Williams knows how to milk it for all its worth. The music does its part making The Force Awakens feel like “real Star Wars.”

From MrBellamy's post:

There’s a scene, in which a full rendition of the “Force Theme” (sometimes referred to as “Luke’s Theme”), coupled with the actions of a new cast member, nearly brought me to tears. That’s the power of nostalgia and Williams knows how to milk it for all its worth. The music does its part making The Force Awakens feel like “real Star Wars.”

lol though because he is definitely talking about the part where Rey grabbed the lightsaber that was tracked in from A New Hope and not actually written for the score

9 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

A mixed chorus of men and women: Soprano, Alto, Tenor, Baritone and Bass.

I was expecting an all-Basso Profundo choir like in The Force Awakens.

Thanks for clarifying..! Was thinking something profane... ;)

It's hard to take someone seriously when they say TLJ sounds like the other scores. This score is a new take for Williams... not like HA2 or COS, which is what I was expecting based on reviews. Aside from the reuse of themes and Williams general style of writing, this score is completely different from the previous entries.

Yes, the comments on YouTube are very positive right now, especially in regards to the "Superstructure Chase" inclusion.  People really do respond well to that nostalgia factor.

You have to remember, there's still people out there who calls it Rey's song or "I like the song when the Falcon flies into the cave." They don't really understand the nuances of film scores. 

I feel we lower the level of discourse by bringing in random anonymous social media posts here. The level of discourse here is higher because most posters here are much better informed about film music that the general film-goer. We should keep the conversation at a high level and not let in uninformed garbage into these pages.

Ah man, how can you take this review seriously when it says the following: 

you won't hear Rey's theme at all until the end credits ("Finale").

:eh:

http://mashable.com/2017/12/16/star-wars-last-jedi-soundtrack/?utm_cid=mash-com-Tw-main-link#4HWAqsPlraqr

17 minutes ago, Damien F said:

Ah man, how can you take this review seriously when it says the following: 

:eh:

http://mashable.com/2017/12/16/star-wars-last-jedi-soundtrack/?utm_cid=mash-com-Tw-main-link#4HWAqsPlraqr

I already couldn't take it seriously from the first sentence of "Welcome to the latest in Mashable's "Club Bangers" series, in which we (I) break down extremely lit albums (film and television scores)..."

5 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I feel we lower the level of discourse by bringing in random anonymous social media posts here. The level of discourse here is higher because most posters here are much better informed about film music that the general film-goer. We should keep the conversation at a high level and not let in uninformed garbage into these pages.

I agree and I don't even understand the urge to intentionally seek out stupid, uninformed comments to then get angry at. 

The comments I shared were under an article about the score, and the majority of the comments were negative. 

7 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

I'm not even lowering myself to click the link. 

A numpty wrote the article. It's just pure schlock.

"Though at first it seems like an ode to the Dark Side, "The Supremacy" is equally evocative of the light. Its themes get repackaged more playfully in "Fun with Finn and Rose," but there's a dangerous undercurrent to both that hints at more than just adventure. The new theme in both of them was introduced in the last moments of The Force Awakens when Rey meets Luke on Ahch-To."

Wait... She's saying the "Jedi Steps" theme is in those two tracks??? :blink:

7 hours ago, Breadstick Basilisk said:

Wait... She's saying the "Jedi Steps" theme is in those two tracks??? :blink:

Theres no such theme!

ITSbrick.gif JUSTbrick.gif LUKE'Sbrick.gif THEMEbrick.gif PLAYEDbrick.gif UPSIDEbrick.gif DOWN!!