THE LAST JEDI - Score as heard in the movie thread - SPOILERS ALLOWED

Jay

Thanks for all the information @Joe Brausam! Do you feel like there's any particular musical theme/idea that came across as sort of the 'heart' of the score? With the Force Awakens I feel like not only was 'Rey's Theme' a great character theme, but its use, whether through full statements or just moments that highlighted its harmonic progression, sort of came to define the sound of the film, obviously emphasised by its prominent use in the end credits suite. By the sounds of things this score is going to be a really thematically heavy one, with a huge number of themes playing a prominent role. But did something in there stand out as the core musical idea? 

Really intrigued as to how the approach to this score is going to compare to Williams' previous approaches to sequels- I must say I'm really surprised that all the TFA themes are back, and I think it's great! Just hoping that it really is overall new takes on this material (which sounds incredible) rather than much of the same-ey kinda stuff as we've heard before (which I'm sure will still be good but not quite as exciting). 

Also learning of the two new main themes and then looking at the track titles, it seems as if the album may not include any specific concert suite tracks- certainly would be a first for a Star Wars score right?

I believe one of the concerts Williams is giving next year (or some other thing) was advertised as including new music from TLJ. Also Hal Leonard will probably like to publish something so there will be concert suites I think. Maybe even a compilation of different cues, like he did with PoA. 

There are a few tracks on the OST that could be concert suites but it doesn't seem they would based on Rose's or Holdo's themes.  It's likely the end credits suite will be played at concerts since it features new material.

If a two hour score for an eighth installment has as much new material as old, then we should consider ourselves lucky.  I am really looking forward to the CB scenes, as they seem to be offering Williams the "freshest" palate to work.  The only disappointing thing I have heard is the superstructure music--what the hell.  

4 minutes ago, Tom said:

If a two hour score for an eighth installment has as much new material as old, then we should consider ourselves lucky.  I am really looking forward to the CB scenes, as they seem to be offering Williams the "freshest" palate to work.  The only disappointing thing I have heard is the superstructure music--what the hell.  

Agreed about the superstructure music but it apparently isn't an exact copy and has been somewhat modified.

10 hours ago, Joe Brausam said:

Again, don’t think doom and gloom here.  These rehashes are isolated moments that stick out to me, but they are by no means the bulk of the score.

Kinda jarring / awkward like The Duel from TESB inserted into the ROTS score?

Also, I heard

Williams uses part of the Asteroid Field as Chewie pilots the Falcon through Crait

I don't like music from another trilogy being put into a new one, even if it's "slightly altered". There was enough of that in the entire Harry Potter saga and the Hobbit, to say that it's not the best of choices.

22 minutes ago, Remco said:

I can forgive a 85 year old man writing 2,5 hours for the 8th’ score in a series for using pre-existing material - especially when it’s as good as TIE fighter attack. :)

It would not bother me that much if it was Williams's decision.  I get the sense, though, that these sorts of things (duel in Rots also) are the directors' choice.  

Yeah that could certainly be the case, but I guess it’s part of the job. Back in 1977 it was guys like Korngold and Holst that he had to emulate, now it’s himself!

1 hour ago, El Jefe said:

Kinda jarring / awkward like The Duel from TESB inserted into the ROTS score?

Also, I heard

Hide contents

Williams uses part of the Asteroid Field as Chewie pilots the Falcon through Crait

Thats not something that I heard in the score, that’s the sequence where he uses TIE Fighter Attack.  

Doesnt mean its not in there, but I didn’t hear it, and that sequence was already heavy on rehash!

14 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

So basically, the TLJ score is:

- 40% rehashed/tracked material from previous SW scores

- 40% new variations on themes from TFA

- 10% actual new thematic material

- 10% tracked new material

Oh, well... I guess there's still a chance of one last good JW Star Wars score with Episode IX...

Yeah, JJ Baby will surely provide some stunning material and allow JW flex his scoring muscles!

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

So basically, the TLJ score is:

- 40% rehashed/tracked material from previous SW scores

- 40% new variations on themes from TFA

- 10% actual new thematic material

- 10% tracked new material

Oh, well... I guess there's still a chance of one last good JW Star Wars score with Episode IX...

Reading this, I get Episode III flashbacks.

Can anyone who has seen the film, maybe ( @Joe Brausam?), elaborate on what Empire magazine mentions in their review of the film in relation to the music; 

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/star-wars-last-jedi/review/

They say that Johnson has brought a new cinematic grammar to Star Wars including moments of "pulling out in-world sound, leaving just music and image."

Sounds like a great cinematic language for amazing Williams moments!

I just saw it, too.  The negativity I'm seeing here from some people surprises me.  I need to see the movie again -- and listen to the soundtrack for a while once I get the CD -- to nail down my feelings about it, but at worst I'd say it's pretty fucking good.

the short flute segment right at the start of ANH is also right at the start of this movie

the bouncing Finn/action motif returns for about 20 seconds in the beginning

March of the Resistance has a really cool and impressive at the start when all the resistance bombers appear (this shot is in a trailer)

Jedi Steps is pretty much the Ach To theme

There is no real theme for Snoke, just that quiet male choir from TFA

It was nice hearing Yodas theme again but I think it might just be lifted from the ESB suite. Luke and Leia is back with (from what I can tell) a new performance

Overall the soundtrack seems like an 'upgrade' to that of TFA. TFA seems more basic while TLJ develops the themes and twists them in new ways

8 minutes ago, greenturnedblue said:

Jedi Steps is pretty much the Ach To theme

Well, since we spent our time in Ach To with Luke, it isn't easy to decide whether its the theme for the locale, or just a variation of Luke's theme.

8 minutes ago, greenturnedblue said:

Luke and Leia is back with (from what I can tell) a new performance

Now that's good!

9 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

whether its the theme for the locale, or just a variation of Luke's theme.

I mean, it makes sense to be both. The main title shows up a couple times, once even I think when BB8 does something cool. cant really remember.

Just saw the movie at 12:00 am on the 14th in Melbourne Australia. going again tomorrow afternoon. I tried paying attention to the soundtrack but I ended up just enjoying the movie. Tomorrow I will try and take more mental notes

Just saw the film. I think it was great! Haven't listened to the soundtrack yet, but the music that was used in the film, was very effective! In my opinion all of the material that was inspired (lifted, rehashed, or what ever you want or need to call it) by previous SW scores served a purpose and worked well in the film. All returning themes from TFA also worked well and were needed, and I heard many many variations of those themes. And the new music was excellent, for example Roses theme was very uplifting and fresh, and finally the music was LOUD in a positive way, so I guess that means the mix was way better than in TFA.

I'm so happy, that the soundtrack didn't leak before I saw and heard this in a theatre, one of my best movie going experienses ever!

--Snowster

I'm thinking more and more about going to see the film without listening to the soundtrack. It lands on Spotify on friday and I see the movie on saturday. I  think I can wait one more day. :lol:

4 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Tie Fighting Attack, being reused ala Superstructure Chase for a scene that looks just like Superstructure Chase was a bit too on the nose for me.

I didnt mind that as much as I did the emperors theme being used for no real reason other then rey was being tortured by snoke and it was similar to the emperor torturing luke

There was no in-story reason for its use, so yeah, it was odd (but hey, Williams was never as rigorous as Shore when it comes to the application of his themes, so I don't think people will care very much here).

2 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

There was no in-story reason for its use, so yeah, it was odd (but hey, Williams was never as rigorous as Shore when it comes to the application of his themes, so I don't think people will care very much here).

It obviously reenforces the similarities between Snoke and The Emperor, which ties into Kylo Ren's belief that the old ways must die.

I found it inspired.

5 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Perhaps it just needs to be renamed the "Throne Room Torture Theme."

Yes!

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

It obviously reenforces the similarities between Snoke and The Emperor, which ties into Kylo Ren's belief that the old ways must die.

I found it inspired.

lol

18 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

hey, Williams was never as rigorous as Shore when it comes to the application of his themes, so I don't think people will care very much here).

True. But some of those "romantic" uses of themes are more blatant than others. 

It doesn't sound like a good idea, I have to say.