THE LAST JEDI - Score as heard in the movie thread - SPOILERS ALLOWED

Jay

For those who have seen the film, is Snokes torture music similar to A Jedi's Fury, The Emperor's Death, a mixture of both or something else? I understand this music is not on the OST and I've been reading contradictory reports.

There aren't really any movie spoilers in this thread yet, it's pretty safe to read.  Plus, not many people who have seen the film have also heard the OST, so how would they know what's unreleased?

I think the answer to your problem is to just go see the film sooner, or just not care if you read plot spoilers.

An entire thread centered around people trying to remember what was in the film but not on the CD, without being able to describe the scene the music scored, makes absolutely no sense.

Wow I went in to the movie without having heard any of the score and oh my that was impressive. The action material felt more fleshed out than TFA. Didn't mind the callbacks at all. Loved the statements of Rose's theme. Can't wait to hear the OST

Saw the film yesterday and I thought it was amazing. I was disappointed by TFA (liked it, wanted to love it). The score worked wonderful. So glad I can type that, after months of building up excitement. Hope you guys will enjoy it as much as I did. 

I saw the film yesterday as well and I liked it a lot and the score was very impressive and had some truly wonderful goosebump-inducing moments. Very much in line with the TFA and a continuation of that sound. Mark Hamill was brilliant in this one.

As others have I too noted only two new prominent themes, the music for Rose and for the rebirth of Rebellion/Fighting Spirit related also to the Resistance/Rebellion that seem to be sandwiched into a single concert suite in the end credits.

My first question:  is the ominous last part of The Spark on the OST  expanded further to include the Kylo Ren motif like in the trailer music, or that was just added by the trailer guys

And are there unreleased renditions of Rose's Theme?

I need the whole score now. The OST presentation is fine but because the film has nearly wall to wall music, I don't think I can appreciate it fully with just the OST. I can't imagine only ever listening to a condensed OST version of TESB score and still appreciating the score the way I do with the special edition OST release. 

I thought the opening blast of the main title had a lot more weight to it than TFA.

The action Music was a lot stronger too. Prequel style percussion helped I think.

Everything about the film was a good blend of all theee trilogies I thought. 

Guys, I can't find my absolute favourite musical moment from the film on the OST.

Am I not listening to it right, or is it not included?

It's when:

Admiral Holdo turns the ship around

2 hours ago, someonefun124 said:

For those who have seen the film, is Snokes torture music similar to A Jedi's Fury, The Emperor's Death, a mixture of both or something else? I understand this music is not on the OST and I've been reading contradictory reports.

It's a very brassy rendition if I recall correctly.

I didn’t think the Emperor’s Theme it Superstructure Chase would work but they absolutely do. The latter is just a bad ass moment of music in the film and I love it .

I saw the movie a second time tonight, and in the Canto Bight sequence there is what I believe to be a quick statement of the melody to "The Long Goodbye"!

It's a great score.  I have no idea if it will be represented well on disc; I have no idea if the new themes measure up to the other major themes.  (I need to listen to them divorced from the movie.)  But the score as presented in the movie is terrific.

Big shock.

There is a piece of content that plays in front of "fan event" shows that is all about Williams, by the way.  Nothing earth-shattering, but highly awesome for him to be given that sort of spotlight.

9 minutes ago, Bryant Burnette said:

I saw the movie a second time tonight, and in the Canto Bight sequence there is what I believe to be a quick statement of the melody to "The Long Goodbye"!

Ah, is it for the shot of the "red flower guy"?

Just got back from the film. Love most of what I heard of the score—though it seemed mixed lower than TFA, which I know is counter to other reports here.

I liked how it really does feel like an extension of TFA, with little links the likes of which you never saw in either of the previous trilogies, like when the bouncy motif from "On the Inside" is reprised in "The Supremacy".

Having said that, Rose's theme in the film is a miss for me. It's fine on its own, and I like that it sounds like it's from another era—but it never felt right for any of the moments it scored. Came across as a little too sickly sweet—kind of like Giacchino's "hope" theme.

Just saw the film. A few quick non spoiler thoughts:

A statement of Poe's theme is microedited from the opening track.

There are a few more statements of Rey's theme in the movie however they aren't too different to what we already have. Except for one really nice version when she is with Luke. It is brief but my favourite unreleased moment

EDIT: I meant to post this in the non-spoiler thread but posted it here by mistake. I was rushing as my phone battery was dying.