THE LAST JEDI - Score as heard in the movie thread - SPOILERS ALLOWED

Jay

6 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Parts did feel tracked though. Like the initial statement of the TFA themes in the opening of the film. 

Completely disagree.  Nothing felt tracked at all. 

5 minutes ago, El Jefe said:

They had the sound cranked so loud it was hard to hear some of the music, I couldn’t make out the Emperor’s theme.

That kind of stuff varies from theater to theater.  I could hear the Emperor's Theme very clearly in mine

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Completely disagree.  Nothing felt tracked at all. 

The TFA variations were just not that varied. So I understand where Steef is coming from.

Could someone help me out, if I want to listen to the Luke's island life stuff, which track(s) on the OST should I put on?

Also can anyone confirm that the End Credits is longer than on the OST and what music is missing from the OST version? 

17 minutes ago, KK said:

The TFA variations were just not that varied. So I understand where Steef is coming from.

Totally disagree.  He takes Rey's Theme and the Resistance March in a lot of new directions in TLJ!

I do agree he doesn't vary Kylo Ren's themes much from how they were before, though.

15 minutes ago, artguy360 said:

Could someone help me out, if I want to listen to the Luke's island life stuff, which track(s) on the OST should I put on?

It's only in Acht-To Island, Old Friends, and The Rebellion is Reborn - and the end credits (its the theme that comes in after the Leia piano bit)

Also can anyone confirm that the End Credits is longer than on the OST and what music is missing from the OST version? 

It's been pointed out like 3 times on the last page...

2 minutes ago, artguy360 said:

it's missing the second half of Rebellion is Reborn. They put that on track 7 on the OST

After both hearing the album and seeing the film, I'm surprised to see so many people raving about Rose's Theme, and so few people praising Luke's new theme!

On album, Rose's theme didn't do much for me, and in the film, it didn't either.

But Luke's new theme is awesome in the film!  Its long introductory statement as he goes about his "daily routine" while Rey follows him was great!

Thanks. The Rebellion is Reborn is an even stranger track to me now. I don't understand superimposing Rose's Theme with Luke's Island Life music together. They aren't thematically related and I don't think they go that well together musically and they don't fit all that comfortably under the name "The Rebellion is Reborn." I'd rather the island life stuff got expanded into it's own concert arrangement.

I think the full track of Rebellion is Reborn was intended for the End Credits but they cut it to place Leia's piano theme

Thanks. The Rebellion is Reborn is an even stranger track to me now. I don't understand superimposing Rose's Theme with Luke's Island Life music together. They aren't thematically related and I don't think they go that well together musically and they don't fit all that comfortably under the name "The Rebellion is Reborn." I'd rather the island life stuff got expanded into it's own concert arrangement.

I agree,I'd like both themes seperate

1 minute ago, artguy360 said:

If this film was done in 1983 Williams would have made a separate concert track for each. Here he slams them together. It's rather cool actually.

Williams does a few unconventional things in this score. I like that.

3 minutes ago, artguy360 said:

Totally agreed!!!!!

Both, being the only major new themes, work musically well together. Other than that, I think one would be overthinking their pairing as a concert piece.

well, he could have started Rose's Theme with quiet renditions like he started Marion's Theme ,Leia's Theme and Han Solo and the Princess. Right now it seems we only got the "ending"

Also, having seen the film now, track 4 is absolutely brilliant music for that scene. Every moment, the first introduction of Leia' Theme, the Force theme leading to the super soft rendition of Leia's Theme, going into the full concert suite, ending softly with Rey's Theme, it is all brilliant music that accompanies one of the most out of left field moments in the film.

Haha that's the track I just finished listening to now too.  I like it a LOT more now that I know what it scores.

Even though Leia floating through space was dumb, the music is great!

Just now, Stefancos said:

The Jedi Temple is a great piece that got a rather disapointing concert version.

Its called The Jedi Steps, not The Jedi Temple.  And I think the concert arrangement is great!

Just now, Jay said:

Such a silly scene. Strangely moving though.

Just now, Jay said:

Its called The Jedi Steps, not The Jedi Temple.  And I think the concert arrangement is great!

It's fine, not great. I vastly prefer the shorter version. 

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Haha that's the track I just finished listening to now too.  I like it a LOT more now that I know what it scores.

Exactly. Amazing scoring by JW for a stupid-ass scene.

I think the main difference i'm picking up between the TFA score and this one is that TFA really needed its concert tracks. The underscore here is a lot stronger.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

The music made it moving!

That and the fact that Carrie Fisher is dead.

that scene totally worked for me

it's weird because she's the only one of the original cast that survives the film. I was waiting for her to die at any moment

she was a lot better than in TFA too

Just now, king mark said:

it's weird because she's the only one of the original cast that survives the film. I was waiting for her to die at any moment

Yes. I respect that they didn't reshoot the film to kill her off though.

Holdo's end would have actually been great for Leia knowing what we know now.

But I do think Carrie Fisher is better in this film than she was in TFA.

So the moment in the first OST track that I thought was a reference to Finn's Theme isn't at all; He's still in his coma the whole sequence, and the music bit in question is for BB8 fixing stuff in Poe's X-Wing.  Finn's Theme doesn't' return anywhere at all, that i heard

It's funny how the music leading into the end credits on the OST sounds very disjointed and all over the place, which initially led me to think that the music was edited in strange ways for the OST. Turns out that's exactly how the scene is scored because it's just a weird scene. Also I don't like any of the kids in this movie.

3 minutes ago, king mark said:

finn was the most useless character in the film .he went on a totally pointless quest  that failed

Yea, the entire rebellion storyline after the opening battle and before they get on Crait should have been rewritten.  Leia, Finn, and Poe should have gotten up to something else while Rey was with Luke, and we didn't need Rose, Holdo, or Del Toro at all.

It's funny how the music leading into the end credits on the OST sounds very disjointed and all over the place, which initially led me to think that the music was edited in strange ways for the OST. Turns out that's exactly how the scene is scored because it's just a weird scene. Also I don't like any of the kids in this movie.

I know, right?  The weirdest part of the track on the CD is the SUPER DARK OMINOUS CHORD for 5 seconds.  In the film it's just cause some guy comes into the room and wants the kds to go outside or something.  So weird.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Yea, the entire rebellion storyline after the opening battle and before they get on Crait should have been rewritten.  Leia, Finn, and Poe should have gotten up to something else while Rey was with Luke, and we didn't need Rose, Holdo, or Del Toro at all.

I didn't like the whole "we're running out of fuel and stay out of range of their weapons" thing. It didn't feel like a Star Wars scenario at all and it brought good characters to a stand still.

It's funny how the music leading into the end credits on the OST sounds very disjointed and all over the place, which initially led me to think that the music was edited in strange ways for the OST. 

Yes, it's very odd that Williams wrote the end credits this was. 

The whole score is pretty disjointed though. 

Just now, artguy360 said:

I didn't like the whole "we're running out of fuel and stay out of range of their weapons" thing. It didn't feel like a Star Wars scenario at all and it brought good characters to a stand still.

It was terrible and my #1 least favorite aspect of the entire film!

I also really didn't like seeing so many good guys die so often, or see Rey murdering people with her lightsaber

It’s funny, I always assumed one of JW’s priorities for TLJ would be to shore up the musical identity of then First Order, a la the Empire in ESB. But having seen the film, the First Order doesn’t really do much of anything to warrant a menacing, dominant presence the way the Imperial March does in ESB.

Luckily he already had a kickass march to provide coherence.

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

Yes, it's very odd that Williams wrote the end credits this was. 

The whole score is pretty disjointed though. 

I think I am coming around to the same view. The movie itself is very disjointed and the score seems to reflect that. The immediacy and lack of resolve I got from just listening to the OST is present throughout the film and score. Still, great score but not so great movie. 

Was it odd to anyone else that Rey's big highlight in the film is lifting a bunch of boulders? That moment is treated with great reverence (and I don't mean musically although it is and appropriately so)? 

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I hope they do a time jump of a few years and show a Rey who's mastered the Force.

I would have to guess that's the plan.

Just now, king mark said:

I liked the film more than TFA

Oh its much better.