THE LAST JEDI - Score as heard in the movie thread - SPOILERS ALLOWED

Jay

Is the new thematic material in The Rebellion is Reborn that is not Rose's theme really a new theme for Luke or more for his island life specifically or even for Rey's time on the island? I ask because it never plays during scenes off the island as far as I can recall and not even during Luke's appearance on Crait and his confrontation with Kylo Ren,. If it was a new character theme for Luke, it would have made sense as music during some part of that sequence as well. Right now I think it is specifically Luke's island life music. And I'm really bothered by JW titling the track The Rebellion is Reborn with this new theme. I just don't see the relation and that rubs me the wrong way.

Did anyone catch the end of the end credits in the film? Two source tracks were credited. One was "Aquarela do Brasil". The other? "The Long Goodbye." You can definitely hear 'Brazil' in the Canto Bight track on the OST. I need to rewatch the film for TLG. Nearly pissed my pants when I saw that.

3 hours ago, artguy360 said:

It's not JW's style to "build on a theme" or any such thing. If a motif is used for a specific idea, be it a location or person, that's pretty much all it's gonna be used for.

But it's all so wrong. Who knew that Williams has steps bias?

Chewie, who has been in every one of the "proper" Star Wars movies, gets absolutely nothing from the theme tune king, he's been overlooked by the composer time and time again. John Williams clearly has carpet prejudice and it just doesn't sit right with me. I mean, some steps do have carpet on them. Coffee shops etc. 

47 minutes ago, RamboFBII said:

You can definitely hear 'Brazil' in the Canto Bight track on the OST.

I don't agree. It's the only track I listened of the score, because I will wait to see the movie first. 

They definitely played "very safe" by crediting Barroso for this track.  It's a genuine John Williams track quoting a little latin "beat" (for three little bars) that was popularized in the song "Brazil", a song that everyone knows. But it don't use the melody of Brazil, there's only the "flavour" of this track, the "latin" flavour, it's pure John Williams.

38 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Chewie, who has been in every one of the "proper" Star Wars movies, gets absolutely nothing from the theme tune king, he's been overlooked by the composer time and time again.

Ep 9 man! Chewie's theme will be so heroic is will make The Resistance march feel like a Gia theme.

Maybe we've gotten theme greedy. In all other movies we're absolutely content to get just one good tune. With Star Wars though there's the expection to be scrubbing one's bollocks in the shower, whistling to a smattering of new themes. It probably isn't fair.  

21 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I don't agree. It's the only track I listened of the score, because I will wait to see the movie first. 

They definitely played "very safe" by crediting Barroso for this track.  It's a genuine John Williams track quoting a little latin "beat" (for three little bars) that was popularized in the song "Brazil", a song that everyone knows. But it don't use the melody of Brazil, there's only the "flavour" of this track, the "latin" flavour, it's pure John Williams.

Regardless, that "little latin beat" was enough for Disney et al. to feel like they needed to cover their asses and credit Ary Barroso. Whether you agree it's "Brazil" or not is irrelevant. "The Long Goodbye" isn't credited on the album, so I'm guessing it was in some unreleased Canto Bight music.

8 hours ago, artguy360 said:

Exactly. Amazing scoring by JW for a stupid-ass scene.

It was actually very moving because of the music, but I halfway expected to hear the Superman theme with her arm stretched out like that.  I always wanted to see Leia use the force but I wasn't expecting that kind of use!  I would have burst out laughing if it weren't for the music so kudos to Williams.

46 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Okay, so I have about a million things I want to talk about and catch up on, but let's start here with an obvious gripe because it's one specific thing I was really, really hoping would not happen but did:

FOR CHRIST SAKE, ENOUGH WITH BINARY SUNSET VARIATIONS TO FINISH THESE MOVIES! That's 3 in a row, and TLJ is basically just a re-working of ROTS. Enough!

Well, to be fair, the scene leading up the end credits almost required it but I agree it's tired at this point.  It was like the binary sunset scene but at night.  Regardless,I was really disappointed with how they ended the film with the force user boy.  In fact, the whole ending after Crait was rather disappointing.  But I loved the music when the kids were talking about Luke Skywalker and playing with the action figures... it was a very sweet piece of music.

6 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

It appears three times in the film:

- During the opening battle, when Poe does heroic stuff.

- During his "Spark" speech on Crait.

- When he introduces himself to Rey (didn't even realize the two characters never met before!).

From what I understand, only the last one is on the OST.

There's a subtle variation that underscores the first time we see Poe pop up on screen. That one is on the OST.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Okay, so I have about a million things I want to talk about and catch up on, but let's start here with an obvious gripe because it's one specific thing I was really, really hoping would not happen but did:

FOR CHRIST SAKE, ENOUGH WITH BINARY SUNSET VARIATIONS TO FINISH THESE MOVIES! That's 3 in a row, and TLJ is basically just a re-working of ROTS. Enough!

Episode IX will end with a new arrangement of Yub Nub, do not worry.

I hate to say it, but after TLJ finished it was the first time I really felt the Force theme was basically cooked. I don't think JW can get anything out of it at this point.

Also, can someone tap him on the shoulder to let him know the theme actually has an extra few bars he can reference, not just the first half? I think he completes the theme, what, once? In the entire score, as Luke disappears? C'mon... the brass solos were very tired after TFA and it felt like there were about 10 more in TLJ (of which 5 made the OST).

Doubly disappointing when you consider how many obvious opportunities he had to play with Luke's Theme but just resorts to another tired retread of the Force Theme, with basically no change from the previous version he used 10 minutes earlier. Luke's Theme feels woefully underused, in fact I only recall it appearing for a scene with Finn & Rose!

In both TFA & TLJ, that horn solo of the Force Theme has felt like his default "fallback" theme when he can't be bothered writing something creative/new. There must be nearly a dozen cues in both films that feature an almost identical version of the theme now, which is a shame.

Certainly makes the lack of a 'Rey & Luke, 'Luke's Despair' or perhaps a deconstruction of Luke's Theme all the more perplexing. Amusing, after we all speculated such a theme was a shoe-in.

It sadly felt like he didn't explore this plot with anything musically interesting, other than a few variations on Rey's Theme. For the most part he seemed content to rehash the same variant of the Force theme over and over again.

Such a disappointment when you consider how versatile his use of the theme was in the prequels. It works brilliantly with almost any combination of orchestration!

The album is great! More referring to the movie itself, where I really felt the carbon copies of the Force Theme grew tired. Would have been nice to hear a little more thematic diversity with Luke's Theme/Jedi Steps or something.

But it is what it is and I'm still enormously glad we have this score over the ghastly alternative! Glass half full and all that jazz. :)

Does anyone know if the unreleased music from Canto Bight was a reference to something? Specifically, the cue when Finn runs down some stairs and spots the 'code breaker' guy at the table, right before they get arrested? It seemed like a deliberate reference to an old movie but is nowhere to be found on the OST.

Just now, BloodBoal said:

I thought that this was the Last Goodbye reference? Mind you, I'm completely unfamiliar with that score. Never listened to it.

Likewise, wouldn't know the score from a bar of soap. I've read about this reference but figured it had something to do with the source music (but that's seemingly related to something entirely different?)

I was zoning out during that whole section of the film; that entire subplot felt forced and poorly tacked on.

Yes, I'm pretty sure that's when The Last Goodbye plays. Just a few seconds and under sound effects. I just want to know why^

8 hours ago, Damien F said:

When Rey leaves the Falcon in the pod and goes to Ren's ship, there is a cool little arrangement of her theme followed by some rapid fire brass. It is brief but interesting.

Jason, perhaps you can find that clip?

That's some good stuff right there! Rey's Theme has such a huge presence in the complete score, its a shame it isn't on the OST album that much.

6 hours ago, artguy360 said:

Is the new thematic material in The Rebellion is Reborn that is not Rose's theme really a new theme for Luke or more for his island life specifically or even for Rey's time on the island? 

Yep.

2 minutes ago, king mark said:

so much unreleased cool music

this gonna take months to sort out

I posted 3 clips on the previous page if you didn't see them

1 minute ago, Chewy said:

FYC is coming soon, hopefully :) 

If it follows TFA's pattern, it'll be online on Monday

Why did Williams use the emperor's theme on Snoke? At that point I was expecting Snoke was actually Papatine's ghost  that somehow managed to get a new body

3 minutes ago, someonefun124 said:

People are still trying to sort out TFA music after two years! 

yeah but there's not that much unreleased music left

2 hours ago, someonefun124 said:

It was actually very moving because of the music, but I halfway expected to hear the Superman theme with her arm stretched out like that.  I always wanted to see Leia use the force but I wasn't expecting that kind of use!  I would have burst out laughing if it weren't for the music so kudos to Williams.

I burst out laughing regardless. 

4 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Because it's an evil-sounding theme, so let's use it!

It's like The Hobbit all over again!

9 minutes ago, king mark said:

yeah but there's not that much unreleased music left

There isn't? I thought a good portion was rewritten late in the stage or am I confused?