THE LAST JEDI - Score as heard in the movie thread - SPOILERS ALLOWED

Jay

2 minutes ago, someonefun124 said:

I thought a good portion was rewritten late in the stage

What are you talking about?

12 hours ago, DominicCobb said:

There were a lot of moments that sounded like direct quotes of previous scores, though not tracked? (have we come to a conclusion on this?) One thing that was odd (though cool) was that basically everything from TFA is back (except the Finn/Falcon motif), even some of the smaller stuff like that First Order motif from the Daniel Craig scene and the finale and of course Poe's theme which I thought I heard a couple times.

The other little motif I thought I heard when I saw the film (and can now confirm, listening to the OST) was the TFA motif heard in the On the Inside and the unused march bit from the Jakku village attack. Very prominent in "Supremacy."

3 hours ago, someonefun124 said:

What all were they recording before TFA was released? Didn't sessions continue until October/November?

Nope.   Williams saw The Last Jedi in September 2016 and recorded the score in the spring of 2017.  He was finished in June.

8 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

It appears three times in the film:

- During the opening battle, when Poe does heroic stuff.

- During his "Spark" speech on Crait.

- When he introduces himself to Rey (didn't even realize the two characters never met before!).

From what I understand, only the last one is on the OST.

There's also a moment where part of it blends with the march of the Resistance in "Main Title and Escape" at 3:09.

Just now, DominicCobb said:

There's also a moment where part of it blends with the march of the Resistance in "Main Title and Escape" at 3:09.

2 hours ago, KK said:

There's a subtle variation that underscores the first time we see Poe pop up on screen. That one is on the OST.

I assume this is the same you're talking about?

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Nope.   Williams saw The Last Jedi in September 2016 and recorded the score in the spring of 2017.  He was finished in June.

No, I'm talking about TFA. King mark implied there wasn't much unreleased from TFA and I thought there was.

3 hours ago, RamboFBII said:

Regardless, that "little latin beat" was enough for Disney et al. to feel like they needed to cover their asses and credit Ary Barroso. Whether you agree it's "Brazil" or not is irrelevant. "The Long Goodbye" isn't credited on the album, so I'm guessing it was in some unreleased Canto Bight music.

With all the trouble Disney had the in the past with "borrowing" (see, Honey I Shrunk the Kids), it's a good move.

The only thing I don't really get is why he uses the Imperial March rhythm for the scene, as Vader has nothing to do with it, and its a heroic moment for Luke

The score was even better on my second viewing of the film.  All the repetitive stuff from previous films clicked in the texture much better.  And new variations of old themes are great too, along with the completely new themes as well.  It's really a great score.

I agree.  I think we learned/were reminded with TFA (both film and score), the more people have specific expectations for these sorts of things, the harder (if not plain impossible) it is for them to be satisfied.  The score fits the movie like a glove, and it is great Williams music through and through. 

1 hour ago, Jay said:

The only thing I don't really get is why he uses the Imperial March rhythm for the scene, as Vader has nothing to do with it, and its a heroic moment for Luke

It's not really the Imperial March rhythm though. Just the same interval, which Williams has frequently used all throughout his career.

33 minutes ago, nightscape94 said:

Yeah, we've been conditioned to constantly want new themes which gives each score an identity.  And while we do get a nice little theme with Rose, this score is more an exercise in precision writing allowing him to flesh out everything from TFA and balance it with the older themes in a more heightened way than in TFA as well.  Nothing wrong with that, still a hell of a score.

I'm not sure if its balance that's quite achieved here. And I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting a score, whether it be sequel/prequel/etc, to have a personality or identity of its own.

But yes, at this point, it's nice to just hear Williams working off his material, in whatever capacity.

24 minutes ago, rpvee said:

“Luke and Leia” is my favorite Star Wars theme - it’s so heart wrenchingly beautiful - and I’d hoped that Williams’ including it in recent concerts meant he’d remember it for the new score, if a scene gave him the chance to use it.

I was already tearing up when Luke entered the Crait base and started to talk to Leia, but once their theme started, I really started sniffling.

That whole scene was absolutely extraordinary and beautiful, a perfect final moment between Luke and Leia, and the music brought it to another level (as Williams usually does).  I’m surprised more people aren’t talking about it around the web.

Agreed!!

2 hours ago, DominicCobb said:

It also does appear VERY briefly in The Rebellion is Reborn at 0:29 (and the end credits).

Karol

1 hour ago, nightscape94 said:

Yeah, we've been conditioned to constantly want new themes which gives each score an identity.  And while we do get a nice little theme with Rose, this score is more an exercise in precision writing allowing him to flesh out everything from TFA

That's something that I would expect more from a final score of a trilogy, e.g. the way Shore scored Return of the King and Battle of the Five Armies. Its no longer about introducing new themes but about pitting the existing material against itself, as it were.

For the middle entry, I don't think its the appropriate approach. 

One thing I really miss on the album is that awesome Rey's theme statement as she's training with a lightsaber.

And that badass militaristic underscore as Finn and Rose are on the Snoke's ship.

And the little statement of Poe Dameron's theme during the Spark speech.

Karol

Just saw the film again. Wow, that Rey's Escape Pod cue is a great moment. Hope it's on the FYC (if there is one). Same with the training cue. 

I noticed a few more statements of Rey's theme during the Crait battle that aren't on the album. Nothing extraordinary but I would still like to have them. Basically, I would like to have all the cues with Rey's theme. 

I'm also a little disappointed that Johnson didn't follow Star Wars tradition and have a dialog free 1-2 minute end sequence before the end credits to let the score shine.

The march of the resistance sounds amazing in this score. Funny how your opinion can change so much after those early listens.

Can't believe I wrote the following two years ago :blush:

On 12/16/2015 at 1:35 PM, Damien F said:

March of the Resistance isn't doing much for me, I'm afraid.

On 12/18/2015 at 12:11 AM, Damien F said:

My opinion of it has improved since watching the movie but it is still one of my least favourite themes in the saga.

17 minutes ago, Damien F said:

The march of the resistance sounds amazing in this score. Funny how your opinion can change so much after those early listens.

Mine hasn't. Never was a fan of the thematic material of the previous score. Now, Rose's theme - that I like. Its not the greatest thing since sliced bread, but its a good theme.

2 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Mine hasn't. Never was a fan of the thematic material of the previous score. Now, Rose's theme - that I like. Its not the greatest thing since sliced bread, but its a good theme.

Including Rey's Theme? :o

I like Rose's Theme, but now prefer the resistance march. 

5 minutes ago, Kostov said:

Is there an established First order theme like in the clip below, this is from the movie I guess or?

Starting at 1:00.

Sounds like bits of Escape from the OST looped and edited

15 minutes ago, Kostov said:

Is there an established First order theme like in the clip below, this is from the movie I guess or?

Starting at 1:00.

This is from TFA. Attack on Jakku Village. Around 3:10. They just looped a few bars and added more percussion.

30 minutes ago, p0llux said:

Not that I could recall from the film. The First Order was not given much musical identity in either films.

I wonder if that is a choice JW consciously made or the result of the film's themselves treating the First Order itself as fairly disposable. The theme(s) for Kylo Ren and Snoke work really well in both films and that seems to be where JW devoted his energy for the bad guys.

I don't get people having a problem with the lack of a big central theme for the First Order. It makes total sense not having one.

- It would immediately be compared with the Imperial March, and as Giacchino's was in Rogue One, it isn't necessary.

- The story is focused heavily on Rey vs Ren, as is the score. Ren's theme serves as the big bad theme, like the Imperial March was mostly serving Vader's character. So you could say that this new trilogy's 'Imperial March' is already Ren's theme.

- The Resistance is heavily represented in the score, whereas the Rebellion was not really at all musically represented in the original trilogy, except the short sharp Rebel Fanfare, thus leaving space for the Imperial March. 

- The original trilogy was all about the heavy might of the empire being all powerful and galaxy-wide, therefore they had a huge overpowering musical presence. But in this trilogy the First Order are less so.

I just think that the original trilogy had an overbearing evil theme, so this trilogy has an overbearing good theme.