THE LAST JEDI - Score as heard in the movie thread - SPOILERS ALLOWED

Jay

38 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Please no. I truly hope they won't bring her back yet again for yet another pointless role in the film. She ended up in the trash compactor and somehow escaped from it before the Starkiller base exploded? OK, you're pushing it a little, but let's say we're fine with it. But you make her return not to do anything noteworthy with her and then have her fall into flames, only to have her come back from the dead yet again in Episode IX? No thank you...

I wouldn't be surprised if Abrams somehow resurrected her since she seems to have that popular Boba Fett factor.  Nearly everyone in the theater cheered when she appeared.

39 minutes ago, Holko said:

OK, if you're gonna keep posting like that, Youtube has a share button right under the big red subscribe button, and there's a box you can tick so you get a link with the correct starting point. Paste that new link in here and you get an embedded video where we won't have to pixelhunt to find what you're commenting on!

My bad. I'm not good with technology. Thanks for letting me know

26 minutes ago, crocodile said:

By the way, is it just me or do most of the action setpieces (at least three of them) feature the action ostinato from I Can Fly Anything?

(Which also happend to be featured in Quidditch match. ;) )

Is it Poe/Resistance action ostinato or something?

Karol

Got a timestamp example?

26 minutes ago, crocodile said:

By the way, is it just me or do most of the action setpieces (at least three of them) feature the action ostinato from I Can Fly Anything?

(Which also happend to be featured in Quidditch match. ;) )

Is it Poe/Resistance action ostinato or something?

Karol

I call is the Quidditch action motif. It was used to tremendous effect in the first Harry Potter. This one seems like a self rip-off a la Horner.

35 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

Is anyone else totally in love with how Williams ends the score? Those chimes of Rey's theme slightly off and the harp just not fully finishing as you'd expect. He's saying "to be continued" in music form. Gorgeous.

It is actually so wonderful that I sort of forgive him the awful assembly of the end credits suite.

Karol

2 minutes ago, crocodile said:

It is actually so wonderful that I sort of forgive him the awful assembly of the end credits suite.

Karol

I can see how people think it's a mess, but it doesn't bother me so much. We get a good Yoda statement, good Rey, and Luke's new theme, as well as Holdo's theme, so it does enough for me.

5 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

I can see how people think it's a mess, but it doesn't bother me so much. We get a good Yoda statement, good Rey, and Luke's new theme, as well as Holdo's theme, so it does enough for me.

The biggest problem for me is how Rose's theme ends very abruptly just as it is building momentum. 

8 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

I mainly dislike it because it ends up reusing the material that appears elsewhere on the album. It's just a waste of space.

Karol

I hated the movie, like I wrote in the other thread.

The music was also a big disapointment for me.

The use of the Emperor Theme? The use of the Here They Come theme?

What???

John Williams has become senile or what?

:blink:

I even didn't stay in the theater to hear the End Credits music.

21 minutes ago, Breadstick Basilisk said:

Where exactly can it be heard?

Listen to the strings right after the brass stops, for a very short time, it's a direct Quiddich quote:

The rest of the times, it's more on an allusion or a major variation of the same idea.

Quidditch is not its first appearance, though, I noticed it a number of times in the San Diego portion of The Lost World, but for all I know, it may have originated in The Towering Inferno.

I'm angry because I ordered it with the promise of opening day arrival, that was yesterday. I desperately wanted to hear the score before i saw the film, but couldn't because of it not arriving. I want to put it on my phone to listen to constantly, and I want to play it loudly on my CD system, but cannot. I paid for something that they have failed to give me. And I have no idea if I'll even get it in for another week.

After seeing the movie, I'm pretty sure the "Brazil" tune in Canto Bight is actually an intentional nod dropped in at Rian Johnson's request, because as Finn and Rose are being arrested, the cops tell them they're in violation of "code 27B-stroke-6," which is a direct but fairly obscure reference to Terry Gilliam's Brazil. If I see the film a second time I'm going to see if I can spot any other nods to it.

11 hours ago, king mark said:

There's something I remember from the film

When we see all the Stormtroopers assembling in a hangar near the end of the movie (somewhere before the Phasma fight), there's a loud brass fanfare that plays. Is that on the c.d.?

I loved that too. (It's definitely not on the CD.) I'm pretty sure it's a re-arrangement of the opening of the TFA unreleased cue "You Need a Pilot," seemingly with louder percussion.

The score as heard in the film was great, at least I could actually hear the music most of the time for a change.

I especially liked how they used the force theme, constantly alluding / building to it, and then finally unleashing it in full at the end to signal Luke's character arc. Made sense. 

I ordered the OST today, having seen the film a couple nights ago. I suspect that this will be my least favorite of the Williams Star Wars scores thus far, but my feelings could change. In the movie, my main observations were that Rose's theme is nice (if suspiciously similar to the Force theme), there seemed to be some solid action scoring, and the integration of the existing themes felt clumsy and somehow very, very sequel-like. Very curious to listen to this on its own once the CD arrives.

13 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Oh the Two suns... the music and Luke.. pffff... disappeared.

I will vomit.

I almost miss Jar Jar Binks.

Luke's death was poignant, even beautiful. By far the best scene in the film. A perfectly fitting and poetic end to his character's arc; always the young boy, gazing at the sunset.

I doubt you will.

No you don't.

Just now, JohnSolo said:

Luke's death was poignant, even beautiful. By far the best scene in the film. A perfectly fitting and poetic end to his character's arc; always the young boy, gazing at the sunset.

No you don't.

I do.

Having listened to the OST several times now and seen the movie, ultimately JW wrote the right score for the movie. I like the score a fair bit but I don't like the movie very much at all and I bet we would have gotten a better score if the movie itself were better though JW does elevate many moments in the film with his music.

The End Credits really tells the story of the whole movie and score. Everything is in a rush, there are a lot of old themes/music, almost nothing gets fully flushed out, action music is frenetic, the general pace of the film and music is relentless, and Rey's Theme sure sounds nice.

5 hours ago, Holko said:

Listen to the strings right after the brass stops, for a very short time, it's a direct Quiddich quote:

The rest of the times, it's more on an allusion or a major variation of the same idea.

Quidditch is not its first appearance, though, I noticed it a number of times in the San Diego portion of The Lost World, but for all I know, it may have originated in The Towering Inferno.

Pfft, this is nonsense. String triplets in octaves is just another John Williams Action trope, nothing more or less unoriginal than his use of trumpet triads or boom-tzzz. He uses this same thing in TFA:

It's part of his bag of tricks.

1 hour ago, artguy360 said:

Can we all agree that the Force Theme and Rebel Fanfare are both over-used at this point? 

For real. Force theme is applied like ketchup. They should earn statements of it rather than applying them so indiscriminately.

I think more than JW it is the directors. 

1 minute ago, TheUlyssesian said:

For real. Force theme is applied like ketchup. They should earn statements of it rather than applying them so indiscriminately.

I think more than JW it is the directors. 

I think you're right. Each director wants to make "their Star Wars movie" with those special Star Wars moments and music. The use of binary sunset seems more like director choices than JW choices. In both TFA and TLJ, I imagine the directors temped with binary sunset and wanted for the movie to end with that music.

The film was really crying out for some more variations of Luke's Theme in minor key, rather than the endless horn presentations of the Force Theme. It's really lost much of its elegance in the last two films, simply due to overuse.

That the theme is never completed (barring Luke's death) is also disappointing.

True, the force theme definitely felt overused. And to top it off, they used the binary sunset variation of the force theme again to close the film. That finale cue started off great until the force theme started again on the horn. If something new was used instead to close the film, I would've forgiven all other instances of the force theme in the film. Gonna see the film again tonight, shall I keep count of how many times the force theme was used? lol.

Just got back from seeing it and I'll sum up my thoughts on the score:

I think there are many people disappointed by the lack of a major identity to carry the score, but from my perspective this film is a continuation of The Force Awakens; it feels musically like the next chapter and using the established themes from the last film as its bread and butter. I think the score is goldmine for Williams' in action mode, still without a First Order identity other than Kylo Ren's theme, and it seems to move with greater haste in the film as opposed to the album. I think repeat listens and repeat viewings will definitely help with letting this score develop a nature of it's own that isn't overshadowed by returning themes but one that embraces that musical grammar that Williams has forged.

First off, hi, this is my first post here.

I have a question for everyone. Is this a funeral theme foreshadowing the death of Luke? It's a recurring melody throughout the soundtrack. The kicker is, it's tied with music which is eerily similar to that played when Luke was born in Revenge of the Sith (3:26)

for reference:

21 minutes ago, crumbs said:

In my deranged mind, I'm getting a kick out of imagining the score's total disregard for restraint is a giant middle finger to JJ Abrams for his treatment of TFA's score. Demanding revisions of anything too bombastic (Han's death), dialling down what couldn't be revised (The Bombing Run), then outright deleting the rest (Parade Grounds, Finn vs Trooper).

Rian approached this like a JW Fan! "This music is fucking awesome, make it deafening! Who cares about explosions or dialogue! Superstructure Chase, fuck yeah! Emperor's Theme? Why not!"

Sounds plausible to me.