THE LAST JEDI - Score as heard in the movie thread - SPOILERS ALLOWED

Jay

I swear the Main Title sounded slightly different in theatres, like I picked up on a few notes that were held longer and shorter than the TFA version. But I did think it sounded very close to the TFA recording at the time.

Well in tlj, I counted around 8 or 9 times the force theme was applied. I think it felt like it was over used because it was arranged the same way almost every time. The finale sounded fresh at first with that short passage, but as soon as the force theme kicked in, I was disappointed. 

I just got done seeing it.  I didn't notice the Emperor's theme at all.

Either the score was low in the mix or I was so focused on the visuals that I didn't notice it.  

Still, I'm looking forward to someone doing a score analysis with time stamps. 

35 minutes ago, Demodex said:

I just got done seeing it.  I didn't notice the Emperor's theme at all.

Either the score was low in the mix or I was so focused on the visuals that I didn't notice it.  

The Emperor's theme is not on the OST. In the film, it appears when Snoke is holding Rey face up in midair using the force.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

I swear the Main Title sounded slightly different in theatres, like I picked up on a few notes that were held longer and shorter than the TFA version. But I did think it sounded very close to the TFA recording at the time.

I'm pretty sure that was a new recording for the film (or else Rian Johnson is a liar). The first note sounded more powerful, and the horns sounded less obnoxiously loud at the end of the first statement of Luke's theme. I was shocked to read/hear that the album had tracked the TFA one after being happier with the new one.

26 minutes ago, p0llux said:

The Emperor's theme is not on the OST. In the film, it appears when Snoke is holding Rey face up in midair using the force.

Yeah, I know this. 

16 hours ago, Jilal said:

How can this not be on the OST album? :(

I feel this is just the tip of the iceberg when we start going into more details about the complete score

The amount of trumpet and brass flourishes in the film was incredible. Nobody writes for brass like Williams; the musicians must pinch themselves when they see the sheet music (then panic... and practice, practice, practice).

Hopefully a lot of it gets covered in the FYC as it didn't seem thematically derived from existing scores.

5 hours ago, Bespin said:

So this version of the Theme on the CD is directed by Gustavo Dudamel.

Finally, the final credits of TLJ score is : Co-Conducted by John Williams, William Ross and Gustavo Dudamel.

That's assuming the TFA OST credit was accurate for that track.

Having seen the film and listened to the soundtrack for the first time, I don't think one time through is sufficient to completely absorb either one. After hearing the action music Williams wrote for this one, I really wonder if the streamlined sound of TFA really was more due to how that film was made rather than any independently-made creative decisions. I am stunned that at 85 he was able to write a score this vigorous. That's the best word for it, I think. It's so full of energy and sounds like it could have been written a decade ago rather than this year. The way the score follows every turn of the film (and some of those turns just whip right from one thing to another) is incredible considering his age. Wall-to-wall scoring isn't always a good thing, but it really didn't bother me in this case. I think the parts without music were well-chosen, and as far as I am concerned the rest of the film is perfectly able to support the amount of score it received.

I was surprised at how well the music was mixed in the movie, certainly better than TFA. I think his handling of Luke's final act was perfect--it made that part of the story incredibly enthralling. I think that assessment could actually go for how he scored Luke's entire arc. His use of Leia's theme was also handled better than some of the other recurring themes, especially early in the film when she was thrown into space. I think using the climax of the concert arrangement for her flight through space made the scene fantastically surreal rather than silly (your mileage may vary, of course). And I was so happy to hear that warm rendition of Luke and Leia's theme. I think someone else here said that Williams has finally got all he can get out of the Force theme, and I am inclined to agree. There's only so many times that theme can be played by a solo horn before it starts to be ignored. That said, though, there is one gigantic brass rendition of that theme (I think it underscored the burning tree and is on the album in The Sacred Jedi Texts--would have to see the film again to be sure) that I loved. As far as other recurring theme uses go, I thought the delicate statement of the main title at the end of the film was a beautiful moment. I was also surprised--pleasantly--to hear him write some wonderful variations on the Resistance march, which I didn't even think he would bring back. I think it's a shame that there isn't more Rey's theme on the album, considering that he did explore it throughout the movie.

I am looking forward to spending more time with score on album and seeing the film at least one more time to get a better sense of how it all hangs together.

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

The amount of trumpet and brass flourishes in the film was incredible. Nobody writes for brass like Williams; the musicians must pinch themselves when they see the sheet music (then panic... and practice, practice, practice).

That's just it, though--there's no practice involved. They don't see the music until the day of the sessions. That's a fact that never ceases to blow my mind when it comes to Williams' more complex scores. This one certainly put them through their paces; no other film composer writes for trumpets as well as Williams, at least as far as I am concerned.

That used to be the case but I've read that in recent years some of the sheet music has been provided to musicians to practice overnight, mainly if there are overly complex passages. Some of the brass in TLJ is simply breathless. Cannot fault the performers or mixing department one iota; they nailed it.

6 minutes ago, crumbs said:

That used to be the case but I've read that in recent years some of the sheet music has been provided to musicians to practice overnight, mainly if there are overly complex passages. Some of the brass in TLJ is simply breathless. Cannot fault the performers or mixing department one iota; they nailed it.

I haven't heard that. Interesting. But yeah, everything about the brass in this score is faultless, from the writing to the performing to the recording and mixing. Perfectly handled.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong about this...

There's that bit in Escape that sounds like the Finn motif from TFA. Now, I know people dismissed that once they saw the film because Finn isn't even awake yet, but, if I'm not mistaken, I think that part happens when BB8 is repairing Poe's X-Wing. Considering the fact that it was neve actually Finn's motif, I think it's still possible it's a conscious TFA quote.

7 hours ago, crumbs said:

Well, I don't know if you read my review of the LSO concert in paris, but I attended a conference before the concert where musicians told us that they received the sheet of music the very same day they record.

10 hours ago, DominicCobb said:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong about this...

There's that bit in Escape that sounds like the Finn motif from TFA. Now, I know people dismissed that once they saw the film because Finn isn't even awake yet, but, if I'm not mistaken, I think that part happens when BB8 is repairing Poe's X-Wing. Considering the fact that it was neve actually Finn's motif, I think it's still possible it's a conscious TFA quote.

Yup!

On 12/15/2017 at 2:09 AM, nightscape94 said:

Too bad about Finn's theme not really being present basically at all, except for one itsy bitsy moment in the first track which is barely detectable.

On 12/15/2017 at 2:11 AM, Jay said:

It's not Finn's Theme there.  Its just simliar-ish music, it plays when BB8 is fiddling with wires in Poe's X-Wing.

Finn doesn't wake up from his coma until after the whole first battle is over

Thanks!  Don't know why in my head the "Who Are You?" scene took place before "Lesson One"

There were two score things that really BOTHERED me in the film, and they're both kind of interrelated.

1)  The close proximity of two giant Binary-Sunset style plays of the Force theme at the end (Luke's disappearance and the slave child looking to the stars).

2)  The third time in a row that we've ended with the Force theme seguing into the main titles - a transition that I hated in ROTS, and which although smoothed in TFA and TLJ, was still not my favorite, musically.  And the fact that it's been repeated now with little variation three times in twelve years, just kind of not my thing.

The second one still irks me a bit, but hearing it on album gave me a chance to think about it some more - how the duality is reflective of one dreamer's journey ending, and another one just beginning.

So #1 works better for me now.

The rest of the score is just lovely.  Surprised that a few big theme highlights from the movie were left off (Poe's victory at the beginning, Rey practicing saber, the bulk of the Yoda stuff - I think - and the reprise of the Emperor's theme) - things that made a big impression on me when I saw the movie.  Not sure I've had this feeling about a JW album since Phantom Menace.  Usually I'm pretty happy that all the highlights are covered on the OST.

As tired as we all are of Binary sunset endings, the one touch I did really like is that little extra flourish added at 0:51 of “Finale” to match the shooting star. I found it to be a very sweet touch by Williams.

Since they were posted pages ago and Clyp links expire in 24 hours anyway, here are 4 great unreleased bits of music from the film!

Poe's Theme from the opening battle

Rey's Theme -> new Luke/Rey theme blend as she trains with the lightsaber

Rey's Theme expansion for the escape pod travel

The Emperor's Theme as Snoke tortures Rey

That's the Emperor statement people go crazy over? I recall someone saying it's the best sounding statement of that theme ever. 

If those are the missing highlights, I'd say the album really doesn't need them.

1 minute ago, DominicCobb said:

Isn't there another missing Poe theme from his speech?

Yes

The other big one is when Holdo goes to hyperspace, though I guess that's in the end credits?

Yes

We know for sure that's the same recording?

No, we don't know.

The Rey lightsaber practice cue was a classic Star Wars "silent movie" moment, where everything falls away and it's just a character and music.   Plus, it was a nifty interpolation of an old and new theme.  I can't believe that didn't make it to the OST.

Also, I posted this in the album forum and no one took the bait, so can anyone tell me where we've heard this passage before?  Interspersed between Force theme statements during Luke's final scene is this melody that I'm sure was part of A New Hope somewhere.  Does anyone recognize it?

4 minutes ago, igger6 said:

The Rey lightsaber practice cue was a classic Star Wars "silent movie" moment, where everything falls away and it's just a character and music.   Plus, it was a nifty interpolation of an old and new theme.  I can't believe that didn't make it to the OST.

YES!  Well said!

6 minutes ago, igger6 said:

Also, I posted this in the album forum and no one took the bait, so can anyone tell me where we've heard this passage before?  Interspersed between Force theme statements during Luke's final scene is this melody that I'm sure was part of A New Hope somewhere.  Does anyone recognize it?

What? Those 4 notes could be from anywhere. 

17 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Why does this keep happening?

Because you're always wrong?  :)

No, it's five notes, and I'm sure I know them, originally played on low strings somewhere in the golden age of Williams, I think the original trilogy, I think ANH, I think on Tatooine. 

In my inexpert plunking, I think it's G—higher C—Bb—A—lower C, with the Bb and the second C held longer.  My memory of this melody adds three more notes at the end that don't appear in the "Peace and Purpose" version: a D-Eb-D sequence where the first two notes are quick and the last one is held for longer.  Anyone?  Anyone?

If anyone is interested here's my analysis of what's on the OST: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DW-2_W4bTKZb-NeUlL5NUMMqvzDAMzHCH1a8waRH6ic/htmlview#

It's far from perfect but I tried to make it like Jay's Force Awakens analysis as the format seemed to work well. Any corrections or additions are welcome.

The Rey's Theme bits and Poe's Theme that Jay posted are great! Especially that little trumpet bit at the end of the Escape Pod clip.

The Emperor's Theme cameo is unremarkable. Nothing really special, aside from the fact that it even makes an appearance.

2 hours ago, igger6 said:

Sounds almost like Rey's theme to me.