THE LAST JEDI - Score as heard in the movie thread - SPOILERS ALLOWED

Jay

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Oh come on, that Rey Lightsaber cue is aces

It is. But there is enough of Rey's theme on album, and that cue isn't that different from the concert suite version. Also, I don't hear Luke's theme in there.

I understand why a diehard Williams fan would want this, but the album doesn't need it. The album is, if anything, slightly too long.

And the Emperor's theme moment really isn't as great as people make it out to be. It's a short, straightforward brass version, and we did hear better in previous films. Only a fanboy could call that "contrarian".

I get it, people are excited to hear a new recording of it in a new Star Wars score, but sometimes I get the impression Williams could record himself sneezing, and it would be called the greatest theme since Indiana Jones.

When I read about a new recording of that theme, and people being dissapointed that it wasn't on the album, I thought it would be an amazing version. 

I never said it contains Luke's theme.

It contains Rey's Theme, which segues to the new Luke/Rey/Island theme.

2 hours ago, CGCJ said:

If anyone is interested here's my analysis of what's on the OST: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DW-2_W4bTKZb-NeUlL5NUMMqvzDAMzHCH1a8waRH6ic/htmlview#

It's far from perfect but I tried to make it like Jay's Force Awakens analysis as the format seemed to work well. Any corrections or additions are welcome.

Awesome!

Isn't the "Here They Come" bit during the Battle of Crait from the track of the same name, not the "Finale"?

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

I never said it contains Luke's theme.

It contains Rey's Theme, which segues to the new Luke/Rey/Island theme.

You said it was a blend of Rey's and Luke's theme. A blend is a blend, aka mingling together. Not one seguing into the other.

No, that's not what I said.  I said its a blending of Rey's theme with the new Luke/Rey/Island theme.  Not Luke's original theme.

1 minute ago, DominicCobb said:

Isn't the "Here They Come" bit during the Battle of Crait from the track of the same name, not the "Finale"?

An excerpt of it is in the "Finale", which seems to not be as edited as the same portion in "The Battle of Crait".

This is probably a stupid question but why are people referring to the Tie Fighter Attack music as "Here They Come"? Did JW write a concert arrangement of that theme?

Just now, Alex said:

This is probably a stupid question but why are people referring to the Tie Fighter Attack music as "Here They Come"? Did JW write a concert arrangement of that theme?

It's the title of the cue on the original music sheets, so it's John Williams' original cue title.

21 minutes ago, Jay said:

No, that's not what I said.  I said its a blending of Rey's theme with the new Luke/Rey/Island theme.  Not Luke's original theme.

It's one theme after the other, it's not a blend of the two. That's my point.

34 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

sometimes I get the impression Williams could record himself sneezing, and it would be called the greatest theme since Indiana Jones.

Thank you!

Of the unreleased music in Jay's clips, my preference for inclusion in the FYC in order are:

- Rey's training

- Rey's escape pod

- Poe's theme in Escape

- The emperor's theme. 

Unlike the prequels, the emperor's theme really isn't too important to this trilogy and although it sounded great, its rendition in TLJ doesn't add much new in terms of its orchestration. 

39 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

I get it, people are excited to hear a new recording of it in a new Star Wars score, but sometimes I get the impression Williams could record himself sneezing, and it would be called the greatest theme since Indiana Jones.

Would still be better than most modern film music tbh :P

3 minutes ago, Alex said:

Would still be better than most modern film music tbh :P

Hans Zimmer recorded himself farting, put it through an audio filter, added a D minor ostinato, and called it a Batman trilogy. So, why not?

Dammit, BB beat me to it.

3 minutes ago, DominicCobb said:

I see. Is it the same recording?

It sounds like it to me, but the waveforms don't quite match and it doesn't seem to phase (I hope that's the correct term) when the two are synced and played together, so could be an alternate take or different mix?

The first half of The Battle of Crait that plays before Yoda's theme is certainly different as it has a different rendition of March of the Resistance, in addition to being abridged.  The second half seems to have a different transition in following the Holdo music that wouldn't make sense to be there except as an end credits transition, since it comes in with such a bang in the actual OST track and in the film.  I lean towards these were recorded specifically for the credits, unless someone can submit hard evidence to the contrary.

On 12/16/2017 at 5:42 AM, Jay said:

He also didn't have a character say "I have a bad feeling about this"!

Apparently BB-8 said it to Poe—right before Poe says, "Hey, happy beeps here."

http://ew.com/movies/2017/12/18/star-wars-the-last-jedi-bad-feeling-about-this/

1 hour ago, gkgyver said:

but sometimes I get the impression Williams could record himself sneezing, and it would be called the greatest theme since Indiana Jones.

I see what you mean, but it's far more tiring that I see some guys insisting in every TLJ thread that anything Williams wrote and recorded after 2005 is per definition inferior to whatever he wrote in the past. There is plenty to love in his recent output, even though it is written with different sensibilities.

I can't express how incredibly happy I am to have TLJ's soundtrack here, and to be able to enjoy it as much as I do. Yeah, in the end I'll admit that ESB is perhaps a superior score, but what's the point of that?

3 hours ago, Taikomochi said:

The first half of The Battle of Crait that plays before Yoda's theme is certainly different as it has a different rendition of March of the Resistance, in addition to being abridged.  The second half seems to have a different transition in following the Holdo music that wouldn't make sense to be there except as an end credits transition, since it comes in with such a bang in the actual OST track and in the film.  I lean towards these were recorded specifically for the credits, unless someone can submit hard evidence to the contrary.

I think they are the same, maybe with some inserts for the transitions.

And some of it does almost phase out, but like with the TFA vs TLJ main titles, not completely silent (some crackle is left).

1 hour ago, Demodex said:

Just like the Rogue One themes, I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly what is Holdo's theme. 

Dare I say it but Gia is a more simplistic writer so the theme association in R1 was very clean, easy to figure out and all the themes and motifs were very quickly identified and attributed. But he was dealing with just his 5 new themes and some old themes.

Williams is running a much more complex operation with nearly 20 returning themes and many new themes and motifs and fanfares to figure out.

44 minutes ago, Fal said:

I think they are the same, maybe with some inserts for the transitions.

And some of it does almost phase out, but like with the TFA vs TLJ main titles, not completely silent (some crackle is left).

Also, either the Rose theme statement is "tracked" or the Leia theme bit was was an edited in insert (or edited down), you can hear a bit of a wind instrument at 2:40.

7 hours ago, DominicCobb said:

Sounds almost like Rey's theme to me.

Yeah, I thought it was the resolution of the first statement in Rey’s theme. Similar to the Force/Rey blending at the end of TFA’s credits.

Is the rising chorus as Rey lifts the boulders not thematic music? It's an awesome discreet musical moment and I think it might be one of those brilliant JW one-offs but I'm not actually sure it's a one-off.

Also I wish the choir performing behind Kylo Ren's theme were brought forward just a bit to really give that moment a Hollywood monster-like vibe.

7 minutes ago, aviazn said:

Yeah, I thought it was the resolution of the first statement in Rey’s theme. Similar to the Force/Rey blending at the end of TFA’s credits.

Almost sounded like Luke and Leia to me.

I just realized, if the movie ended on the shot of Leia and Rey on the falcon instead of the kids we would have gotten that awesome statement of the rebel fanfare as the lead into the end credits music. I would have liked that so much more than what we actually got. 

6 minutes ago, artguy360 said:

I just realized, if the movie ended on the shot of Leia and Rey on the falcon instead of the kids we would have gotten that awesome statement of the rebel fanfare as the lead into the end credits music. I would have liked that so much more than what we actually got. 

I thought that was the ending when I first saw the movie. I was waiting for the credits to kick in, then all of a sudden there are some kids on the screen.

Just now, Manakin Skywalker said:

I thought that was the ending when I first saw the movie. I was waiting for the credits to kick in, then all of a sudden there are some kids on the screen.

It would have been perfect! Hopeful, very SW, and not a repeat of Binary Sunset!

3 minutes ago, Docteur Qui said:

I had that exact thought today! Even the idea of the actual final scene being a Marvel post-credits thing.

I had a very quick go at changing the key of the end of "Peace and Purpose" going into "Finale":

https://clyp.it/imoda3qt

It wouldn't have been bad at all! And the last line "We have all we need" spoken by Leia is quite poignant. Oh well!

That works beautifully. Is there any way you can make a clean edit of Peace and Purpose right into the end credits of Finale? It sounds great and that's how I want my listening experience to go for this music.

4 minutes ago, Docteur Qui said:

Unfortunately not without changing the speed of "Peace and Purpose" dramatically, at least not with the software I'm using. Maybe someone else will be more successful!

No worries. I just edited down the times on both tracks and it works pretty well without any other editing. 

Seeing how the temp-track permeates this score, and if Rian Johnson's comments on letting Williams do his own thing are to be believed, would we be right to infer that, by now, Williams just doesn't have that much to say about this world?

10 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Seeing how the temp-track permeates this score, and if Rian Johnson's comments on letting Williams do his own thing are to be believed, would we be right to infer that, by now, Williams just doesn't have that much to say about this world?

Johnson said he gave Williams a temp track. So clearly he used the pieces we are hearing similarities to.

5 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

So clearly he used the pieces we are hearing similarities to.

Yes, but that he so often stuck so close to the temp-track rather than come up with something fresh, is telling.

Just now, crumbs said:

Any guesses what they temped for the final shot? It's really hard to work out. :P

3 numbered Star Wars movies in a row have ended with binary sunset, and prior to which JW never once ended a SW movie with it. I wish long for the old days of SW ending scene segues into end credits music.