THE LAST JEDI - Score as heard in the movie thread - SPOILERS ALLOWED

Jay

The nod to the Imperial March in the ending of The Spark is very obvious to me and I can't chalk it off as a mere coincidence.

10 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

It doesnt matter for me anyway for that piece to be awesome.

But it makes it extra awesome to me.

You could also claim it's based on The Jedi Steps. The chord movement is the same.

I think it's meant to be evocative of both (Imperial March and Jedi Steps) in intervals and texture, but is not strictly derived from either.

TG: What makes music “Star-Wars-ian?”

JW: It would include, without being technical about it, a similarity in harmonic modalities, a similarity in stylistic intervallic choices for melodies, similarities in orchestral textural presentations and the like.
http://projectorandorchestra.com/john-williams-on-the-force-awakens-and-the-legacy-of-star-wars/

26 minutes ago, aviazn said:

You could also claim it's based on The Jedi Steps. The chord movement is the same.

I think it's meant to be evocative of both (Imperial March and Jedi Steps) in intervals and texture, but is not strictly derived from either.

Well, the Jedi Steps sequence (which is essentialy scored with an inverted variation of Luke's theme) has echoes of the Imperial March, so yeah.

But in that sequence it made sense, at least during the time of scoring: the music was suggesting the possiblity that Luke may turn out to have turned to evil. Its a subtle but powerful dramatic mechanism.

In the Last Jedi, however, a couple of questionable decisions aside, that isn't really an issue, so why have the music suggest that in The Spark?

Speaking of thematic connections, people have remarked that Rose Theme resembles Anakins Theme. In fact the first 3 notes are the same. But I find the similarity to the force theme much more obvious: the first 6 notes are identical except that the 2nd note is shorter and it is in major instead of minor. Coincidence?

I've seen the movie three times now... wish they hadn't closed with the Force theme yet again.  Being that Luke is "the spark" and the kid in the final shot is symbolic of "the next Luke" it would have been neat if Williams did something with Luke's theme to close out the movie.  Would have been way better than yet another Force theme closing.

On 15/01/2018 at 11:13 AM, Incanus said:

The nod to the Imperial March in the ending of The Spark is very obvious to me and I can't chalk it off as a mere coincidence.

It sounded obvious to me right when I heard it at the theatre, and also from the first time I heard it on the album, though by then I'd forgotten what it underscored it in the film, and I still don't really see the point.

9 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

It sounded obvious to me right when I heard it at the theatre, and also from the first time I heard it on the album, though by then I'd forgotten what it underscored it in the film, and I still don't really see the point.

I thought it sounded like Bruckner to you?

Did anyone ever find the Emperor's theme that appears in TLJ recorded in theatre?

I really want to hear it again!! I can't wait until the movie comes out in DVD lol

28 minutes ago, Luka said:

Did anyone ever find the Emperor's theme that appears in TLJ recorded in theatre?

Here you go! Sorry for the abysmal recording quality.

1) Emperor Tortures Rey (a really obvious rendition): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WNiywI6f_I-5vHFEQSRaUyCv4MajRqii

2) Lesson #2. Not really a direct use of the Emperor's theme, but something faintly allusive to it (and Vader's theme too!): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1OdCW9Ag-af37EM6dJDwgM1KzZI0f5ybM 

10 minutes ago, Falstaft said:

Here you go! Sorry for the abysmal recording quality.

1) Emperor Tortures Rey (a really obvious rendition): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WNiywI6f_I-5vHFEQSRaUyCv4MajRqii

2) Lesson #2. Not really a direct use of the Emperor's theme, but something faintly allusive to it (and Vader's theme too!): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1OdCW9Ag-af37EM6dJDwgM1KzZI0f5ybM 

THANK YOU!!!

That's what I thought! There are strings that go up higher and make it sound so different and great and scary and menacing! I love it! 

I really wish we had it in an album! :'(

14 minutes ago, Damien F said:

This proves they recorded a new main title for TLJ

It was not retained for the album it seems.

(Rian also mentions that JW called him baby)

So are we to presume that JW and his music editor basically said "fuck it" and went with the TFA recording, and Rian has just been assuming this whole time that it was new?

Or is there any chance still that it is a new recording in the film itself?

If it was the recording from TFA in the film and Johnson didn't know, that is kind of sad, especially since recording a new title was clearly a moment of emotional significance to Johnson.

Very interesting, and nice to actually hear the performance differences (of which there are plenty, and that's only one take!)

6 hours ago, DominicCobb said:

So are we to presume that JW and his music editor basically said "fuck it" and went with the TFA recording, and Rian has just been assuming this whole time that it was new?

This is the conclusion I'm reaching as well.

So despite workshopping 1M1 with the orchestra multiple times, JW's seemingly opted (with his music editor) to use the TFA version without even consulting the director. Could Williams really not extract a superior version of the cue across that many sessions, even patched together from multiple takes? I'd understand on a tighter schedule (like the prequels) that he might not have time to perfect a cue to his satisfaction, but he's been afforded as much time as he needs on these new films. Strange and... yeah, disappointing.

Even stranger that Dudamel received no credit, considering he conducted the version they used! Would've thought that was a union/legal requirement, given how all that stuff is logged.

I wonder if it might not even necessarily be about specific cues that he couldn't do, but more just where he was at by the end of a long day or week. Like maybe it's 9am on Monday and he can deal with "Battle of Crait" no problem, but different story at 4pm on Friday. Or he spends all morning on "Battle of Crait" and he's tired so Ross takes over on "The Cave" for a few hours. But I also don't know in that hypothetical case whether Williams would feel more compelled to be on the podium for a chaotic action cue or a quieter dramatic scene. Also I have no idea how long a day's session usually goes.

And of course we're just assuming Ross's conducting assistance has been about Williams's physical endurance, but obviously hard to imagine it being anything else.

saw the movie another time

I noticed most of the unreleased music is in the middle of the film  during the canto blight sequences, Luke and Rey around her "second" lesson and the flashback sequences,  and the scenes dealing with Poe trying to stop Holdo's plans. Lots of cool action music and fanfares for transitional shots like the medical frigate getting destroyed I think... I also noticed one really nice variation of the resistance march .

there's also a heroic version of Rose's theme when Finn and Rose escape the first order ship after the battle with Phasma

9 hours ago, king mark said:

Lots of cool action music and fanfares for transitional shots like the medical frigate getting destroyed I think

Yes! I've only seen the film once BUT I distinctly remember this very cool brassy fanfare! Just your usual John Williams spaceship-doing-shit-in-space fanfare, brilliant as always.

there's also a heroic version of Rose's theme when Finn and Rose escape the first order ship after the battle with Phasma

Another instantly memorable musical moment I was really bummed to hear absent on both OST and FYC. It would've been fantastic combined into Chrome Dome, it's such a fun variation on her theme (and the album is quite lacking in presentations of it).

I noticed most of the unreleased music is in the middle of the film  during the canto blight sequences, Luke and Rey around her "second" lesson and the flashback sequences,  and the scenes dealing with Poe trying to stop Holdo's plans. Lots of cool action music and fanfares for transitional shots like the medical frigate getting destroyed I think... I also noticed one really nice variation of the resistance march .

Yeah, that last moment really stuck out to me when I saw the film. It might be similar to the end of Rebellion Reborn, though, who knows. 

I was hoping this would appear on the FYC.  I also liked the short bit when Phasma falls into the flames.

The cool march of the resistance is when Poe is walking in the ship corridors to go confront Holdo i think. it's kind of slow and militaristic

also there was another fanfare when you see shots bouncing off the main rebellion cruiser' shields  in a transition shot

On 1/15/2018 at 5:13 AM, Incanus said:

Kind of reminds me of the droid army themes from TPM as well. 

It’s throughout this cue, but the clearest part starts about 0:31

19 hours ago, wooten said:

Kind of reminds me of the droid army themes from TPM as well. 

It’s throughout this cue, but the clearest part starts about 0:31

Now that is what I call action music where the orchestra is having fun and flying all over the place!!! One of the best cues ever. The spark is cool, but nothing compared to this. However, remember, it makes sense to have it be associated to some degree to the Imperial march because Luke is Vader's son and Kylo is his grandson and part of the "New Empire" so to speak. The third note lands different in The Spark and that is the key of it not being totally the Imperial March, same family, different guys! God why isn't this ever played in Concert, I would be hard throughout!