THE LAST JEDI - Score as heard in the movie thread - SPOILERS ALLOWED

Jay

1 minute ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

I don't like Luke being a moronic hermit in this scene but I love the Skellig Michael caretaker bagpipes!

A hermit, yes. A moron? How?

18 minutes ago, Holko said:

Now that I don't believe. Both the cave and the flashback have other scenes leading into them, and this one's basically fully finished so it must have been taken out pretty late. I'd say all of them were in the movie until he realized this is just hammering the same point in, and adding more stupid pointless "humour".

The novelisation includes this scene, but with more at the beginning with Rey seeing boats arriving and Luke leading her to believe the Caretakers are plundered every so often, and says the Jedi would do nothing.

8 hours ago, Docteur Qui said:

Lol, I really don't get why the humour in this film is so offensive to people. It's just... humour.

It’s not that the humor itself is funny or isn’t. It’s that it sometimes feels misplaced in all those dramatic beats.

6 hours ago, Oswin Pond said:

@Chewy Do you think you could upload the Kylo and Luke fight ? It's a great track

Thank you for your work so far !

well I guess he can quit doing this and focus on the iso score

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

It’s not that the humor itself is funny or isn’t. It’s that it sometimes feels misplaced in all those dramatic beats.

To me that takes the edge off of what is often very serious but ridiculous space nonsense. Much of the criticism of the humour is directed at all of it, from what I've come across at least. I've seen complaints about every single moment of levity in this film, i just don't get it.

I can understand why the juxtaposition of humour and seriousness doesn't jibe with some people though. But I'm a Breaking Bad and Fargo fan. Give me the heavy stuff with a good dose of laughter please.

I certainly don't take an issue with every moment of levity. In fact, if you were to list them, it might turn out that I liked the bigger part of the comedic moments. Leveraging weighty material with humor is certainly very important: you can only measure the gravity of a film against its moments of levity. Think about Stephen in Braveheart. Hell, The Force Awakens managed this quite well, too: I love Kylo having his outburst and two stormtroopers passing by and than turning around.

In here it just doesn't always click, and I still haven't quite put my finger on why it doesn't. I think there's a meta aspect to a lot of the humor here: i.e. that it doesn't just act as a contrast to the weighty moments, but that it makes them feel almost tongue-in-cheek. But than humor is always tricky: its by far the most subjective of emotions. Most people will react similarly to a dramatic beat - some will be more affected than others, but they'll all feel it; but with a comic beat - some people will find something funny where others would not.

Damn, even in lower quality, I can't wait to hear that cue as Finn/Rose get captured aboard the Supremacy. Classic, OT Williams Star Wars writing. That little melody is a great little earworm!

5 hours ago, King Mark said:

well I guess he can quit doing this and focus on the iso score

That's a good idea xD I wasn't expecting the isolated score to be available that early at all.

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

Damn, even in lower quality, I can't wait to hear that cue as Finn/Rose get captured aboard the Supremacy. Classic, OT Williams Star Wars writing. That little melody is a great little earworm!

Very Stravinsky. Much wow.

1 hour ago, Nick1066 said:

the opening theme music is different in The Last Jedi than it is in The Force Awakens

Wait... out of the 5 recordings used for 8 movies, they managed to highlight two which share the same?

34 minutes ago, someonefun124 said:

Has it been confirmed to be different in the film?

I just overlayed the movie and the TFA OST Main Title and they're the same.

It really "starts" to look like a running gag to me.

It seems only Rian Johnson still believe that if they recorded the theme before his eyes, it's sure (100% confirmed) that this version is in the movie.

"I tell him? You tell him?" SHHHHH!!!  LOL

:sarcasm:

1 hour ago, Smaug the iron said:

Extended third lesson 

Oh, the same great humor as the rest of the movie, I see...

Really enjoying this cues, thanks guys. That lightsaber track is just fantastic. Really cool to hear that "Desperation" theme or whatever pop up again in spots I never caught watching the film. Shame some of these were left off the OST/FYC. 

Gotta say, really love that rendition of the Emperor's theme (even if the rest of the cue is uneventful), the string that accompanies, while nothing crazy, really adds a lot. 

9 hours ago, DominicCobb said:

Really enjoying this cues, thanks guys. That lightsaber track is just fantastic. Really cool to hear that "Desperation" theme or whatever pop up again in spots

yeah that's great

Does this mean Williams approved the TFA recording to be used for the OST as well?  Or did someone go over his and Rian's head to ditch the TLJ recording?  Since the TFA recording is used in the film, I understand why it was included on the OST but it seems the important people are ignorant about this switcharoo.

As much as I love the film and the score, last night I noticed my second negative behind the overuse of the Force theme - a 2:19:00 score for a 2:31:00 movie (or something like this) may mean it's a bit overscored. I haven't given the iso score a full listen through yet (just created an edit with some more complete OST tracks mixed in at places), but I noticed a big miss moment yesterday - when every gun starts firing at Luke. It's not a particularly strong moment on its own, but worse - the scene would work much better without it! You feel that first few shots, they have impact, then it starts up heavily, it should be completely overbearing blasts, the opposite of the silence when the Raddus jumps into the Supremacy - but you have these horns muddling up the mix, adding nothing to it - and I think also taking away from the incredible impact The Spark makes - it's both written and mixed to stand out, but instead of letting it sink in, after about 3 seconds of silence we get - this.

I absolutely love that moment in the score, and it’s one of my favorite unreleased moments. I think it really plays up the Shakespearean tragedy taking place over Kylo Ren in that moment. It’s one of the best scores moments in the film.