THE LAST JEDI - Score as heard in the movie thread - SPOILERS ALLOWED

Jay

On 3/13/2018 at 9:55 PM, Not Mr. Big said:

this > Rey's Lightsaber

Woah, just watched this for the first time and completely agree. Awesome scene, awesome cue. Hope one of the documentaries has it clean. 

I went through all of the documentaries yesterday. Not one of them contains even a single cue from this film, or any other SW film. It's all original music. So the film and deleted scenes are all we've got for music right now. 

I at least hope the deleted scenes are in 5.1 surround sound, but I doubt it since that wasn't the case for TFA or Rogue One (at least I don't think).

14 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I went through all of the documentaries yesterday. Not one of them contains even a single cue from this film, or any other SW film. It's all original music. So the film and deleted scenes are all we've got for music right now. 

I at least hope the deleted scenes are in 5.1 surround sound, but I doubt it since that wasn't the case for TFA or Rogue One (at least I don't think).

One of the features uses Leia's theme from ANH

40 minutes ago, Fal said:

Also R1 didn't have deleted scenes at all so...

That would open a huge can of worms.

Just like Solo will. Don't expect to see any of the, probably, 100+ minutes of movie that were discarded and reshot by Howard.

6 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Can anyone find a download of that awesome caretaker bagpipe jamboree for me?

Those were bagpipes?

didn't quite sound like that to me.

There are hundreds of types of bagpipes anywhere between the Euroasian Steepe, the Sahara desert and Scotland, so who knows. Doesn't sound like Uilleann or Highland pipes to me, but maybe I need another listen.

Do we know if that music is also from Williams?

Edit: I've listened to it again. I say Highland pipes. Sounds a lot like this:

If it was composed by Williams, is this the first he used pipes?

Sidenote: see, mr. Johnson, that's how you insert humor into a serious moment well.

Pipes are pipes. You asked if he used pipes. You didn't specify between highland, uillean, lydian, aolian etc.

14 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

You literally just told someone to "step up their game" because Jay yelled at them for asking for a download of something, and then you immediately do the exact same thing? :P

Well my request was meant to be more of a joke. I remember saying something after Jay got upset but I can't find it anymore. Sorry! :P

This has probably been mentioned before, but does the Emperor's theme get another, more subtle statement during the second lesson? Don't have the film to check but I assume it's when Luke mentions Sidious.

I’m rewatching the movie (first time since the cinema) as I type this... the music is easily the best thing about the movie.

30 mins in, and oh, man - beyond the hype - it’s not a good movie, is it?

Leia flying through space? I’d somehow repressed the memory. Chewie opting for a vegiterian diet because of sentimental reasons? Talk about pushing an agenda. Holdo? Worst plot device ever, or is that Rose who appears a second later?

Makes Jedi look like the goddamn Godfather.

Edit: Oh God, now Maz has shown up talking about the Master Codebreaker... Which brings us to the whole Canto Bight sequence? I won’t even...

3 hours ago, DominicCobb said:

This has probably been mentioned before, but does the Emperor's theme get another, more subtle statement during the second lesson? Don't have the film to check but I assume it's when Luke mentions Sidious.

Yes, the first 3 notes of it.

Hey! I did mention the score!

...and I think it’s relevant to discuss the quality of the movie and it’s relation to it’s soundtrack.

A good score can save a bad movie. Or a good score can accompany a bad one.

It’s an interesting discussion, ain’t my fault if you’re too close minded to have a constructive discussion about it.

JW has scored bad movies before, here at JWfan it is a constant gripe. Or am I wrong? Lastly, IJ and The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull, I believe. 

I agree. Film scores exist to accompany certain images and, especially with these leitmotivic pieces, evoke those images in one's mind as one is listening to the album. So the quality of the score is in no way separate from the quality of the film, and it shouldn't be separate.

I doubt Wagner's Ring cycle would be what it is, if it were the same music, but attached to a lesser story.

Maybe not, but it bears repeating. What do you think is a “proper” time to stop discussing the movie after it’s been released? Is it ok to still do it after 3 months... ? Or is the maximum shorter than that?

And I love Bender! LOL! Yes I’m serious! LOL louder!

3 hours ago, rough cut said:

The Last Jedi is ripe with PC agenda. Vegetarianism being the least of it.

When's the last time you've seen the OT? As if a movie trilogy about a group of rebels (led by a strong woman, mind you) fighting against a Nazi-like dictatorship isn't "PC"...

The only "agenda" I've noticed in these new Star Wars films is equality and diversity. If you are too sensitive to deal with issues that weighty, then don't see their films.

4 hours ago, John said:

When's the last time you've seen the OT? As if a movie trilogy about a group of rebels (led by a strong woman, mind you) fighting against a Nazi-like dictatorship isn't "PC"...

The only "agenda" I've noticed in these new Star Wars films is equality and diversity. If you are too sensitive to deal with issues that weighty, then don't see their films.

Ekwallety and diverthity...

Has anyone else noticed that Luke's exile theme is based on the second motif from Into the Trap? :blink: I only just realized this and now I can't get over it. What a cool mirror image—to score Luke's decision to sit out the action and abandon the Resistance with a tragic, brooding version of the music when he was kept out of the action with the Rebellion by Palpatine's trap. It's as if it represents Palpatine's attempts to turn Luke against the Jedi, finally fulfilled in his self-imposed exile.