THE LAST JEDI - Score as heard in the movie thread - SPOILERS ALLOWED

Jay

2 hours ago, Taikomochi said:

It gave that scene the pulpy weight of an old samurai film.  I loved it.

Totally! 

It was raining here pretty heavily a couple nights ago, and I found the theme springing in my head as I was walking through the deluge. :P

Yesterday I've seen the amazing but not perfect film and there are quite many thoughts in my head concerning the music, which was not the case after I had seen Episode 7. Give me one more day to find the right words.

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

You still believe that?

Yes, but that doesn't mean either The Last Jedi or The Post are disappointing or anything like that. I think his 2017 output -including his concert work- is outstanding and The Last Jedi clearly has the most complex and profound orchestrations, and is probably the music I will return to the most. 

Another aspect that struck me positively is seeing how deft Williams is using his own thematic creations. I mean, he's still toying around and having fun with musical ideas written 40 years ago, mixing them with the ones written 2 years ago and others written now. And it all sounds very organic (save perhaps for a couple of shoe-horned Force theme quotations). There is a true mastery in using this whole musical lexicon he created. I think this is the main reason he wanted to continue writing for these films.

Didn't Haab have that interesting anecdote about Williams having a two week sign off period for any Star Wars related music made by other composers, should he wish to exercise it? And that this has to be factored into their approval schedule?

So presumably he's heard parts of Gia's Rogue One. The use of choir at the end reminded me a lot of how Gia used it in R1.

Well, that settles that. He did listen to Rogue One.

I will say, the use of timpani in TLJ's score (which is vastly improved on its usage in TFA) almost felt like a bit of a schooling from JW.

I wouldn't be surprised if Williams even recommended Gia for Jurassic World. There was some form of meeting between Trevorrow and Williams but we don't know what about.

3 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Well, of course, he was not going to say it was bloody awful in his face!

Yeah, could be like George Lucas' faint praise for the new SW movies. :lol:

Then again, who knows. Maybe he legitimately loved it. 

5 hours ago, crumbs said:

Well, that settles that. He did listen to Rogue One.

I will say, the use of timpani in TLJ's score (which is vastly improved on its usage in TFA) almost felt like a bit of a schooling from JW.

The use of timpani in TLJ is rather similar to ROTJ, TPM etc. I doubt it had anything to do with Gia.

12 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

No, it shows how incredible Williams is.

I didnt say Williams. I said Masters. I WAS actually referring Goldsmith and Horner. But yeah John's Juarassic Park is incredible and Jurassic World is crap.

7 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

Some people just like bashing Giacchino because he's great and scores everything. They want Williams to score everything instead.

No. I just think Gia is a poor choice. All his shit sound the same. He is so 3rd rate. Too bad Goldsmith t around to punk his ass cause you know he would.

10 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

Every time Gia follows up a master it just shows how 3rd rate he is.

Anyone following Williams would look tame by comparison...

3 minutes ago, Muad'Dib said:

Powell will show Giacchino how it's done!

At the end of the day, Powell, Giacchino, Desplat etc. still have to follow the JW mould. There's no room for deviations from the classic Star Wars sound.

9 hours ago, Stefancos said:

No, there's loads JW isn't really suited for anymore.

He can still score the hell out of a Star Wars film though.

Listening to his output of the last 10 years circa, I'd say what he is still suited for and excels at are his own concert compositions, drama movies, Spielberg films, and generally lower key films where his incredibly matured and experienced sense for flow and drama can come to full fruition.

He is not really suited anymore for writing a 120+ minute score full of action and a gazillion notes per page, including conducting, because that is very exhausting at his age, and that includes Star Wars films. And it shows that it's exhausting.

The highest creativity gets lost in that exhausting process, and that also shows.

I'm glad he can do another trilogy, but then he should really really stop.

On 12/18/2017 at 12:17 AM, Ludwig said:

I would also point out that there is a subtle use of dissonance in these two statements of the theme, where the end of the first short idea (the theme's 6th and/or 7th notes) is supported by an accompaniment in which the 5th degree of the minor scale rises up to scale degree 6, which clashes with another 5 that's still sounding. It's a minute detail, but one I'm prone to hear and one that traditionally takes on connotations of the funereal, lamenting, or otherwise deep sadness.

Among the most familiar of JW's sounds to my ears, going pretty far back but definitely more common in recent decades. Great commentary and blog.

22 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

Listening to his output of the last 10 years circa, I'd say what he is still suited for and excels at are his own concert compositions, drama movies, Spielberg films, and generally lower key films where his incredibly matured and experienced sense for flow and drama can come to full fruition.

He is not really suited anymore for writing a 120+ minute score full of action and a gazillion notes per page, including conducting, because that is very exhausting at his age, and that includes Star Wars films. And it shows that it's exhausting.

The highest creativity gets lost in that exhausting process, and that also shows.

I'm glad he can do another trilogy, but then he should really really stop.

Such foolishness. 

12 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

Some people just like bashing Giacchino because he's great and scores everything. They want Williams to score everything instead.

Amazing.  Every word of what you just said... is wrong.

2 hours ago, gkgyver said:

My goodness. Have some faith in him. Composing is his life. He's been doing this 6-7 days per week for decades now. It's not like a sport where your performance is pretty much based on age. Composing lasts pretty much a lifetime. TLJ was a solid outing and shows us he's still got it.

3 hours ago, gkgyver said:

We clearly listened to a different score because The Last Jedi does not reflect this post at all. The score is even more energetic and orchestrationally dense than The Force Awakens, which he wrote two years ago. It's brimming with life in a way that other composers simply cannot match, because they just don't have the depth of understanding Williams has for the orchestra. This score feels right at home with almost anything he was writing in the early 2000s.

Frankly I find your post borderline insulting and ageist, as if lecturing Williams that he's too old to be writing certain types of film scores. He can score whatever the hell he likes, his age is completely irrelevant if he

still has the passion and love for writing these scores (and one need only listen to the score to realise he does). 

If he was so exhausted doing these movies then he wouldn't be doing them, simple as that!