SPOILER TALK - The Last Jedi (open spoilers allowed!!!)

Jay

14 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

It makes sense for him to die in what is (well, was) a concluding film. This one isn't.

And Yoda's death is super rushed, as well. If you want to talk about a filler sequence, Jabba's palace is just that.

Super rushed? Luke dying was telegraphed pretty mucb throughout the film. It makes thematic sense. Like Yoda's death in ROTJ 

2 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Yep.

How do we feel about Leia being saved by the Force while floating in space, Stiff?

It's the first time we actually saw her using the Force, right?

It was ok. Unexpected. I figured Ren would kill her.

What parts of the film did you like, Alvar?

2 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Yep.

How do we feel about Leia being saved by the Force while floating in space, Stiff?

I was kind of expecting this to be her death scene. The camera lingers on her before she finally twitches her fingers and her eyes open.. then she reaches her arm out and floats back to the ship

Just now, Stefancos said:

So it is a good thing they didn't reshoot the film so Leia dies in this one?

I think I wouldve preferred if she had an actual death scene. In the movie Holdo sacrifices her and pilots the resistance ship into the first order ship (a la Star Trek 2009), crippling it. In the movie it is a very dramatic moment, it is also the point where the plotline with Rey/Kylo reach a climax and where the Finn/Rose plotline reaches its climax. If it were up to me I'd have made Leia sacrifice herself instead of Holdo

I kind of like the Luke projection/death scene.. him confronting Kylo Ren on crait is a very badass moment (some might say more so than the Vader hallway scene from R1). He doesnt really slump over and die like others have said.. There is a very cool moment where Kylo tries to strike luke but luke dodges matrix-style. After toying with kylo for a bit, luke gives kylo the old "if you strike me down ill become more powerful then you can imagine' spiel and allows kylo to strike him. however kylos lightsaber goes straight through luke and does not affect luke at all. kylo is confused and slowly inserts the tip of his lightsaber into luke. then it is revealed he is actually on Ach To all along and not on Crait, he is meditating floating above this rock. He is very exhausted, then he disappears and his cloak floats away in the wind.

22 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Super rushed? Luke dying was telegraphed pretty mucb throughout the film. It makes thematic sense. Like Yoda's death in ROTJ 

Completely disagree.  I didn't necessarily see it coming nor was it needed.  And, if we're going with what is "telegraphed," almost none of it happens.  This movie is 100% audience manipulation from beginning to end.

7 minutes ago, greenturnedblue said:

I kind of like the Luke projection/death scene.. him confronting Kylo Ren on crait is a very badass moment (some might say more so than the Vader hallway scene from R1). He doesnt really slump over and die like others have said.. There is a very cool moment where Kylo tries to strike luke but luke dodges matrix-style. After toying with kylo for a bit, luke gives kylo the old "if you strike me down ill become more powerful then you can imagine' spiel and allows kylo to strike him. however kylos lightsaber goes straight through luke and does not affect luke at all. kylo is confused and slowly inserts the tip of his lightsaber into luke. then it is revealed he is actually on Ach To all along and not on Crait, he is meditating floating above this rock. He is very exhausted, then he disappears and his cloak floats away in the wind.

Funny you should mention the end of Rogue One.  That Vader scene was not needed and complete fan-service.  The Matrix BS was unneeded and out of character as was Luke brushing his shoulder after the ATAT barrage. 

How no one feels pissed that the whole "telegraph" thing is, essentially, all a dream boggles my mind.  It's a very, very old trick.  We, essentially, never got a real scene with Leia, then.   He barely seems excited to see Chewie, R2, 3PO.  He doesn't even hug his sister, for Christ's sake.  It's almost as if the love and friendship that we thought these characters had from the OT was a lie.

Whenever a major character or thing appeared, it was teased a little bit right before it actually appeared. for instance when yoda appears you just see the corner of his ear before the camera pans over and he is revealed. when the falcon appears on crait you see its shadow on the ground before it comes in to frame and the rebel fanfare blasts. when luke walks in to the base on crait all you see is his figure behind some smoke before he steps out and he is revealed

I haven't seen the film yet (Monday couldn't come soon enough), so could someone tell me what the final scenes are in the film? I understand that it includes a celebration aboard the Falcon, and a certain kid holding a broom...

1 minute ago, DigitalfreakNYC said:

Luke brushing his shoulder after the ATAT barrage.

not disagreeing with you but fan service or not this was one of the moments that the audience in my theater laaughed the most at. also at the start when chewie is about to eat a porg but a whole bunch of other porgs look sad at him

1 minute ago, greenturnedblue said:

not disagreeing with you but fan service or not this was one of the moments that the audience in my theater laaughed the most at. also at the start when chewie is about to eat a porg but a whole bunch of other porgs look sad at him

Fine.  So we're just in this to manipulate the audience into laughter?  You could cut that Porg sequence (or the Porgs entirely) and you'd never miss them.  They're 100% there to sell toys.  They offer zero addition to the story or its plot.  I hear directors talk all the time about how if it doesn't advance the plot, it has to go.  With that in mind, think about how many scenes in TLJ can be cut.

2 minutes ago, greenturnedblue said:

There's a LOT of fan service in this movie.

Just now, JohnSolo said:

I haven't seen the film yet (Monday couldn't come soon enough), so could someone tell me what the final scenes are in the film? I understand that it includes a celebration aboard the Falcon, and a certain kid holding a broom...

basically it is lukes scene on crait I wrote about above, then resistance and co. is able to sneak out the back of the base because rey used the force to move a bunch of rocks out of the way (that was blocking the exit). whats left of the resistance gathers in the falcon and takes off while leia gives a little 'the resistance is reborn' speech. huge rebel fanfare blast as the falcon takes off into hyperspace. then there are a bunch of kids telling stories in a barn when their boss (for lack of a better term) tells them to get back to work (paraphrasing here). one kid goes outside and uses the force to pick up a broom.. he has a ring with the resistance symbol on it and he starts swinging the broom like a lightsaber

5 minutes ago, DigitalfreakNYC said:

Funny you should mention the end of Rogue One.  That Vader scene was not needed and complete fan-service.  The Matrix BS was unneeded and out of character as was Luke brushing his shoulder after the ATAT barrage. 

How no one feels pissed that the whole "telegraph" thing is, essentially, all a dream boggles my mind.  It's a very, very old trick.  We, essentially, never got a real scene with Leia, then.   He barely seems excited to see Chewie, R2, 3PO.  He doesn't even hug his sister, for Christ's sake.  It's almost as if the love and friendship that we thought these characters had from the OT was a lie.

How on earth is it like a dream?  It all actually happens, he just isn't physically there.  Or not entirely.  Still confused about that like BB.  

And I think some of that coldness, lack of a big reunion party, is the point. 

1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

The film ends with the remaining members of the Resistance (about 20 people) aboard the Falcon, going god knows where (no real celebration).

Then cut to slave kids on Canto Bight talking about how Luke Skywalker is great hero, blablabla... Then the slaves' master arrive, and basically tell them to go back to work. We see one of the kids going outside and actually using the Force to get his broom. Then we see him looking up in the sky, and seeing something that looks like a shooting star (but I guess is supposed to be the Falcon going through space at lightspeed). Wide shot of the kid holding the broom like a lightsaber. Big musical swell. "You can be a Jedi too, by buying your lightsaber at a Disney Store near you". End of TV ad the film.

Bloody awful.

Doesn't sound awful to me. Rather poignant, actually.

2 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

How on earth is it like a dream?  It all actually happens, he just isn't physically there.  Or not entirely.  Still confused about that like BB.  

It's a grey area. 

6 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Yes! It's actually weird that the film has a lot of references to the old films, but also a rather cold attitude towards some aspects of them.

There's some really interesting stuff in this film.

5 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

It's not! Don't be ridiculous!

How? What's so wrong about a child in a fictional universe idolizing a hero and wanting to be like him when he grows up? That's perfectly normal behavior, that's what kids do; look up to those greater than themselves and strive to be like them one day.

It's as if you walked into the theater determined to hate this movie no matter what. Lighten up.

6 minutes ago, DigitalfreakNYC said:

It's a grey area. 

What, the actual mechanics of Luke's appearance?  Yeah. But not what happens during it.  It's not as though there's a cut to him waking up lol.  Just not sure why you think it can be compared to a dream and thus is something to be pissed over. 

3 minutes ago, JohnSolo said:

How? What's so wrong about a child in a fictional universe idolizing a hero and wanting to be like him when he grows up? That's perfectly normal behavior, that's what kids do; look up to those greater than themselves and strive to be like them one day.

It's as if you walked into the theater determined to hate this movie no matter what. Lighten up.

I went into this movie wanting to love it.  At the risk of opening up on a fan board emotionally, Star Wars is my Christmas gift.  I am not close to my family any more and, in the end, it makes me happier than most things in the world these days.

I'm far more disappointed in this movie than happy with it.  Because I'm going to the fan event tomorrow, I'm seeing both TFA and TLJ together.  I'm more looking forward to TFA and being able to talk to people about this movie finally than actually seeing it again. :(   And that's super depressing.

3 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

It's a SW Disney movie we're talking about. It's clear how they want to market that franchise. This scene is basically no different than TV spots to sell lightsaber toys. I personally don't find those spots poignant.

Please, don't use that bullshit argument. You're worth better than that.

You are correct, of course. However that has always been the case with Star Wars, even back in 1977. 

That film put movie merchandising on the map.

1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

It definitely did. Shame it didn't do that in an entirely convincing way, though.

It makes me regret that they hired JJ to finish the trilogy though.

Maybe Johnson can write?

Just now, Stefancos said:

You are correct, of course. However that has always been the case with Star Wars, even back in 1977. 

That film put movie merchandising on the map.

Oh, yeah, I'm not denying that. But that doesn't suddenly make the scene any less worse.

I thought people didn't like ROTJ and the Prequels in big part because there was an emphasis on creating specific characters/spaceships/etc. only to sell toys, right? Well, that scene felt very reminiscent of that to me.

1 minute ago, JohnSolo said:

That's exactly what it seems like to me.

Man, you're edgy. Go drink a cup of coffee or something.

Edgy? How so? Thinking a scene was awful makes someone edgy? OK...

12 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

You've waited this long to regret that choice?

I'm thrilled that JJ is back.  Perhaps the last movie will be enjoyable, fun and actually feel like a Star Wars movie and not a 150 minute manipulation.

Throughout the film they spent time setting up that these projections could effect the character on the other side.  Such as Kylo feeling pain from Rey’s blast shot and getting water on his hands while communicating with Rey in the rain.

luke’s exertion coupled with some very possible physical consequences are what killed him, at least that’s how I interpreted it.

Face it, TLJ sucks.

JJ will return and save Star Wars. Han Solo will return because he was never on Starkiller.

Luke knew thru the force Kylo would kill him, so he force projected Han’s image.

Han is secretly hanging out at Mos Eisly with Lando.

7 minutes ago, El Jefe said:

Face it, TLJ sucks.

You will possibly not like this film, but it doesn't suck.

One pleasant thing about my viewing today is that they showed only one trailer and no ads before the movie.