SPOILER TALK - The Last Jedi (open spoilers allowed!!!)

Jay

4 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I also loved how casual this reveal felt. Loved it. It's a great moment in the film

It's also information which gave Ren a way to try to manipulate Rey, dragging her down psychologically by trying to convince her that she's worthless thrown-away garbage.

2 minutes ago, nightscape94 said:

It's also information which gave Ren a way to try to manipulate Rey, dragging her down psychologically by trying to convince her that she's worthless thrown-away garbage.

He's basically trying to gaslight Rey!

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

It plays like Rey accepting a conclusion she probably already knew in her heart, but didn't want to.

And, funnily enough, Maz pointed it out to her already in TFA. Sort of.

Karol

It was one of several positive surprises. Sadly the score didn't add much to the scenes in the emperor's room. Hamill, Ridley and Driver came off best here, the others were hamfisted by their less convincingly scripted scenes (the whole subplot with Rose is kinda pointless) though Fisher and Dern (and the other older woman on the rebel ship) gave it a matronly warmth prior SW movies lacked. That was probably very intentional on Johnson's part. Though the setup they operated in was also never ending and cut have been cut in half.

(i did a double-take at Adam Driver's digital enhanced torso earlier)

1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

Really liked that image. Looked great.

Yea!

Indeed! And don't get me started on the fact that for some reason, Holdo couldn't explain exactly to Poe what her plan was (like Leia does when she wakes up), which would have avoided them all the trouble with Poe rebelling and stuff. It was dumb. They should have found a different way to deal with that.

Hey you're right, great point!

And I also feel that if Poe was to standup against a figure of authority on the ship, it would have been far more interesting to have him stand up against Leia than some new character we knew nothing about and didn't care about. Would have made the whole "out with the old, in with the new" theme far more interesting. Bah!

Yep!

Just now, BloodBoal said:

Ugh. Great way to ruin the menace of the villains. Typical Marvel humour!

There is enough menace with Ren and Snoke, and honestly, there was never anything menacing about Hux.  It also gives an immediate reinforcement to Poe's attitude toward authority figures.

1 minute ago, publicist said:

This guy is skin and bones. I never heard that they manage to enlarge your bone structure by 30% just with strict workout.

Actors do it in films all the time. Very intense work out regimes for a couple of months and a protein rich diet. That's how Hugh Jackman got ripped for the Wolverine.

6 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Anyway, they're setting up a Rey/Ren romance, and their child will thus be the result of the Light Side and the Dark Side: he will be the one to bring balance to the Force!

God, I hope not!

JJ is doing the next one though, so could be.

6 minutes ago, publicist said:

What is truth?

It's art!

51 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

It felt casual, yet profound for Rey. 

Liked it.

48 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

It plays like Rey accepting a conclusion she probably already knew in her heart, but didn't want to.

It was a mildly effective affirmation for Rey, but it was Kylo's last line (and Driver's delivery of it) in the exchange which brought an all important resonance to the scene. These movies are generally starved of and are desperate for such moments. 

13 minutes ago, Quintus said:

It was a mildly effective affirmation for Rey, but it was Kylo's last line (and Driver's delivery of it) in the exchange which brought an all important resonance to the scene. These movies are generally starved of and are desperate for such moments. 

Indeed, as flawed as the film is, it does have some genuine substance to it.

Johnson was just another hired hand to get this out in the shops, I mean theatres. There's no directorial signature or personal style on this movie or the two before for that matter, aesthetically and stylistically they're all essentially exactly the same finished product. It's pretty obvious that Disney's commitee do not permit their employee to sneak in that much of their own modus operandi with these movies. This is nothing new for franchise films of course and I can understand why these things are done in this way, but it just means that a tiny amount of them actually turn out to be something special. Spartcus is a classic film, directed by director for hire Stanley Kubrick. JJ and Rian are not Kubrick, lol. How many legendary movies like that made under those circumstances exist in the world anyway? The Empire Strikes Back is the only one to exist in eight movies in the Star Wars series.