SPOILER TALK - The Last Jedi (open spoilers allowed!!!)

Jay

31 minutes ago, Quintus said:

That isn't my point though. In Star Wars '77 we are dumped headfirst into an ongoing war between factions which bit by bit are shown to us to have history and motivations. We see that imperial empire fall at the end of that story, Palaptine was portrayed as being the last great threat of his kind. 

Oh, I get it. Sequels tend to cheapen everything that came before and themselves in the process. Because there never will be a happily ever after, the emperor wasn’t the end all and be all, and I’m sure there will be a Snoke 2.0, Emperor 3.0. 

31 minutes ago, Quintus said:

That isn't my point though. In Star Wars '77 we are dumped headfirst into an ongoing war between factions which bit by bit are shown to us to have history and motivations. We see that imperial empire fall at the end of that story, Palaptine was portrayed as being the last great threat of his kind. I'm happy for there to be new evils rise, but after that you can be damn well sure I want to know where they came from and how they gained status. 

I agree. 

You know why they left you wanting more with Snoke, right @Quintus

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

Wish I saw the same "risks" in this you guys did. 

Frankly, I for a long time was expecting a very different direction to be taken in the storyline for this sequel. What I imagined would happen (based on the very slight look at pre release publicity material I had seen) didn't come about at all though, hence my broader disappointment in the movie by the time I'd watched it play out, in the end quite predictably. 

So here are the risks I saw Rian take: 

1. The fandom wanted a deep historical backstory for Snoke as some master architect character – Rian killed him off and made him unimportant to the story. 
  2. The fandom wanted/expected some vital parentage for Rey, maybe even Skywalker's daughter – Rian made her a nobody.
  3. The fandom wanted Rey to play with the dark side, as is fashionable with heroes these days – Rian made her empathetic but unfazed by the dark side.
  4. The fandom wanted Luke to be an ongoing presence in the trilogy – Rian killed him off. 
Those are gambles. The divided reaction to this movie tells me Rian took risks. If you say he didn't take big enough chances, I'd agree. But having Luke be darker and edgier is not something I consider a risk (as the marketing hinted). It's pandering to fashion these days. 

Anyways, I just doubt we will ever see a big gamble with these movies under Disney. 

So, this has to be the closest title I can think of for Ep 9, especially considering the entire balance talk in The Last Jedi. Rey vs Ren, The Darkness rising, and the light meeting it. It seems like balance is the big issue set for the next film.

share.png

If I might say so, I think VII had a cleverer approach to the franchise. JJ hedged his bets by leaving a lot of things purposefully vague.

This episode gives some too concrete answers. I do think killing Snoke was a bit premature. And specially the manner in which we was killed.

The mystery is drained from the franchise now. EP IX well just be a battle movie between the resistance and first order. There's no intrigue left to speak of.

And all the old characters are now dead. So only new characters now.

I'll be seeing TLJ Monday, but does the film explain anything about Luke's map? I understand that there are quite a few unanswered questions from TFA that aren't resolved in this episode...

13 minutes ago, JohnSolo said:

I'll be seeing TLJ Monday, but does the film explain anything about Luke's map? I understand that there are quite a few unanswered questions from TFA that aren't resolved in this episode...

Explain what exactly?

Karol

4 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Explain what exactly?

Karol

Why he left a map behind in the first place (with the intention of someone one day discovering all the pieces and locating him), why he entrusted it to Lor San Tekka and Artoo before he went into self-imposed exile, etc.

I will say kudos to Gwendoline Christie, who’s seems truly excited about her role in this film, even though her character could have just stood in the corner picking her nose based on how she was used in the films.

20 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

But here, we have Marvel humor, that is to say humor used to make the villains look like buffoons ("Genera Hux? General Hux? Can I speak to General Hux" or when both Hux and Ren give the same order: "Fire at will on those speeders", followed by Ren and the ship pilot looking at each other awkwardly...) which undermines the threat, or humor meants to undercut a dramatic/serious moment (Luke throwing the lightsaber above his shoulder, Leia's line about her haircut...) or even humor that borders on parody, with jokes whose main purpose is well, just the joke in and for itself (that fucking clothes iron joke... I mean, fuck's sake!). Basically, it's humor that feels like the filmmakers winking at the audience: "Hey, look, we're cool, we don't take any of this seriously! We're acknowledging this is all a bit silly!". It's symptomatic of the current blockbusters syndrome: films and filmmakers that are afraid to take the story they're telling seriously. They think they always need to throw humor from time to time to say: "Yeah, yeah, let's not be too serious. Serious is no cool", because they're afraid they'll lose the audience otherwise...

The "Marvel humor" only occurs in like 10% of the film though. That's a bit more then your average Star Wars film, but it's not like they stop to make a quip every two minutes or so or something. Plus I actually thought that a lot of the humor actually worked, and there were a lot of funny visual gags like Chewy scaring the porg. To me the humor never felt like it distracted from the plot anyway. 

7 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

True, as I've previously said, it is nowhere near the level of humor in Marvel movies, but to me, it feels like a step in this direction, and if it continues like that...

I doubt it will. If anything it'll probably stay the same as TLJ. Most Disney Star Wars films thus far have played things relatively straight especially after fanboys started screaming about Disney potentially "Marvelizing" the film.

I thought about the map problem today. The weirdest thing that stood out to me from my TFA rewatch was how the First Order had most of the map to Luke - FROM THE IMPERIAL ARCHIVES. Today I realized the map didn't lead to Luke, it wasn't purposefully left behind by him - it's just the map to the first Jedi Temple from the old Jedi Archives, which became part of the Imperial Archives, which were then most likely salvaged by the First Order. I guess in the big chaos after Palpatine fell, Luke went to Coruscant to dig up any Jedi information, finding the map in the process, and removed the most crucial bit in case anyone else would find it, and gave it to Lor San Tekka to protect it. Another explanation would be that the map was guarded in the Jedha Temple by the Guardians of the Whils along with other info, so the Guardians (Lor San Tekka was one of them) could remove info like this after the Jedi fell, like how Kamino was deleted from the archives. The Empire then just absorbed the info without really looking at it and then destroyed Jedha. In the first case, Luke copied the incomplete map into R2 and gave the cutout to Tekka, in the second case, he copied the incomplete map into R2 from the archives, then looked at Tekka's piece. They guarded the information in case Luke would build another Temple or any safe spot there, or just a nice retirement home. 6 years after Luke disappeared, some people knew he was looking for the first Temple, then Tekka contacted the Resistance that he has a map to him, and we know the rest. The dotted line nature of it makes sense, since it's in uncharted territory with unrecogniseable planets, smaller jumps would be easier to make than calculating the orbits of unknown solar systems and jumping directly into the correct one. 

I understand none of this is in the movies, and it is a problem that it's not explained properly, this is more for people who say it's impossible or unexplainable or stupid.

Just saw it. Thought it was good as hell.  Bought the $25 Star Wars combo at the concession stand, but in my defense I didn’t know it was $25 at the time until they took my card.  But now my kid has a Star Wars bucket for her toys, once I wash out the popcorn grease.  And I have a giant cup with a little hat!

A4542F49-ED95-456D-9F3A-6E26686A7B9F.jpeg

i only read the first two pages of this thread, and then stopped when I saw how many more I had.  BUT, if people are still complaining about how Luke died out of nowhere, it was explained in dialogue earlier in the movie.  Rey tried to exert the force on Kylo from afar, and he told her not to try it because it would kill her.

Im glad this movie shied away from the fan theory stuff (Rey’s parents, Snoke in relation to other Star Wars) and from cliches I personally expected (Holdo is a traitor, Kylo Ren goes good, etc) although DJ screwed them over as expected.

Loved the opening space battle, loved Rose, loved everything involving Rey, Kylo, and Poe.  Thought Luke’s projection was a little lame/cheap maybe? But time will tell whether that stuff grows on me or I reject it.

Score was good, although until the end credits I’d say the only things that stuck with me were the uses of previous themes.  Can’t wait to listen on album and get acquainted.

Where to go from here! We still have the specter of the Knights of Ren (presumably the other Jedi students that Kylo took with him, as mentioned by Luke). So I’m guessing in the absence of Snoke, they’ll appear in IX.

Anyway, more thoughts later but my kid is getting up from her nap.

I liked the symbolism behind Rey/Kylo struggle over Anakin's lightsaber and how it is destroyed in this epic way. Another sign that the old ways must die.

Karol

Just watched the movie.

OMG.

HOW TO RUIN A TRILOGY.

Ridiculous from the beginning to the end, I'm speechless. 

I loved TFA so much.  I'm speechless, I don't know where to begin. :(

3 minutes ago, stewdog1 said:

Honestly, Rian Johnson has demonstrated a complete and utter lack of understanding of what Star Wars, its feel, tone and characters are.

This.

The tone, after only few seconds of the beginning of the movie, I saw the tone was not right. LIke only after few seconds after the beginning of The Phantom Menace, I already knew that it would not work for me.

The tone.

Fuck, the tone.

I am currently trying to tell the story of this movie to my husband and as he can't stop laughing at me, I realize how really bad this movie was.

Leia dead in space, but finally not dead, as she use the Force to bring her back in the ship, Chewbacca trying to eat a Porg, Luke that appears elsewhere from where he is currently... And that make him die. Yoda looking very weird... As they made him using CGI, but like it was the old puppet... And Laughing at Luke... And The end of the movie, with this unknown boy...

Fuck... Disney is now really in the house.

Oh right, I remember reading about deleted scenes and I guess that's one of them.  It kind of looks like she's running on Crait.

3 minutes ago, Denise Bryson said:

The movie's so awful and yet Kathleen Kennedy didn't sack Johnson halfway through production?

Instead she hired him to do his own trilogy!

8 minutes ago, someonefun124 said:

Oh right, I remember reading about deleted scenes and I guess that's one of them.  It kind of looks like she's running on Crait.

Well it can't be on Crait because she doesn't have a lightsaber at that point.

Karol

7 minutes ago, Hawmy said:

Yoda was a puppet

For me it looked CGI, but made to look like the old puppet.

Anyway, it's a big FAIL.

"I'm a Star Wars fan since 4 years" - Rian Johnson.

FUCK YOU, I'M A FAN SINCE 40 YEARS.

F*** Y**.

To resume, Rian Johnson response to JJ. Abrahams movie is: FUCK YOU.

So I assume the Episode IX will respond Rian Johnson, the same way: FUCK YOU.

Kylo Ren will never wear his helmet again. We know that.

Luke as a force ghost.

I feel really sick.