THE LAST JEDI - OST Album MUSIC Discussion (No Movie Spoilers)

Jay

30 minutes ago, curlytoot said:

Huh? I’m not talking about politics at all... Not everyone who is against stupid political correctness is a Republican or agrees with their policies. (Assuming that’s your implication.) Thanks for stereotyping, though!

If the shoe fits...

32 minutes ago, Tom said:

Does the piano rendition fit with the rest of the end credits? 

In this sequel trilogy, we are getting a lot of solo keyboard instrument moments (from Rey's theme on celeste to Leia's on piano here) so its not too out-of-character, and - when used sparsly - I like the juxtaposition between lush scoring with large (well, relatively large) orchestral forces and solo piano at the end.

Wasn't trying to start a debate or encourage political correctness per se. Was just saying that there are probably better words to use without drawing unfavorable comparisons to a particular class of individuals. Still, if the majority doesn't agree, then I won't press the issue.

Yay, I feel hopeful again. :) 

I will say after reading various non-JWFAN reviews, it's interesting to read that those who previously complained about TFA's lack of memorable themes now love them in TLJ.  What exactly did Williams do to these themes to make them lovable this go 'round?  

2 hours ago, aj_vader said:

I can hear the difference between Prequels (all sound the same), A New Hope, Empire, Jedi, Force Awakens. It's very interesting how different they sound. The Prequels are probably my least favourite recordings. 

The prequels sound the same because they are the same. 

4 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Yep, that's the thing: no matter how effective his themes are, they are still used only to represent him, not the First Order as a whole, and as you said, as a result, musically, you don't really feel the threat of the First Order.

Since I haven't seen the film yet, I can't comment on the presentation of the First Order. But in regards to TFA, I didn't feel the First Order and Kylo to be threatening in the least at least in regards to the Resistance.  Han Solo already had it coming, so he doesn't count.  Even if Williams created a threatening theme, it still wouldn't have done any good for me.  The lack of suspense for our new heroes in TFA was disappointing to me.  Or maybe I've just become desensitized over the years. :|

There was ONE track that ENDED like a concert arrangement, and not a film cue.  I think it was "The Rebellion is Reborn".  But when that track started, I don't remember thinking "Oh, finally, a concert arrangement".  But maybe its just an unusual concert arrangement, or maybe its a film cue with an album-only extension to end it.

Also I thought the Main Titles were MUCH better than TFA's?  But that could just be my memory of TFA's, since I mostly listen to TFA with the FYC track to start, which omits the opening titles.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

There was ONE track that ENDED like a concert arrangement, and not a film cue.  I think it was "The Rebellion is Reborn".  But when that track started, I don't remember thinking "Oh, finally, a concert arrangement".  But maybe its just an unusual concert arrangement, or maybe its a film cue with an album-only extension to end it.

This reminds me strongly of ROTS and Battle of the Heroes.

Since the OST features a lot of existing themes, I wonder how they are going to showcase all the new/original music on the FYC?  Unless if new renditions of existing themes counts as original music.

5 hours ago, AzOutcast said:

Yes! Long story short, Jay posted a picture of someone's Snapchat who went to Epcot and they had the CD sitting on shelves. I live in Orlando, drove over there (and arrived 10 minutes before close) to find the CD sitting on the shelf of the first giftshop across from Spaceship Earth. Bought it, promptly jizzed in my pants, brought it home and gave it a listen!

Excuse me, how much time did you make to drive over to get th cd?

2 minutes ago, someonefun124 said:

Since the OST features a lot of existing themes, I wonder how they are going to showcase all the new/original music on the FYC?  Unless if new renditions of existing themes counts as original music.

Woah, that's a great question!  The FYC could be QUITE different from the OST album...

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Woah, that's a great question!  The FYC could be QUITE different from the OST album...

What if there is no FYC?

Since you all say there are no new themes except maybe one, the score isn't eligible for a nomination!

For Your Consideration albums are created to promote a score for ALL awards-givers, not just The Academy.  The Academy (aka The Oscars) might have one set of rules of what is or isn't eligible, but many other organizations have different rules.

Granted, I haven't heard a single note yet, but considering the positive buzz the score is getting so far (better than TFA it seems), I'm sure it will be nominated for many awards just like TFA.  The mouse will find a way to make it work. :) 

Plus, from what I've read, the bulk of the score as presented in the film is original, which is how the FYC will be based, I believe.

01 Main Title and Escape (7:26)

This is kind of choppy, not very smooth and organic.  There's a big rendition of Kylo Ren's theme, a nice rendition of the March of the Resistance, and a bit that reminds me of Finn's Theme, at least the rhythm of it.  Lots of brass fanfares in this track.

02 Ahch-To Island (4:23)

Opens with The Jedi Steps theme and frankly, I didn't find it new and varied enough from its TFA rendition.  Features a nice Rey's Theme rendition in the middle, its very short though.  The ending of the track features what might be a new theme actually... hmm.

03 Revisiting Snoke (3:29)

Snoke's theme from TFA returns, the same guttural singing as before.  Both of Kylo Ren's themes are featured prominently too.

My biggest disappointment from the comments so far is the lack of Poe's theme on the OST especially as it features in the movie. More of that theme was on my wish list after TFA. Hopefully the FYC might have some of these cues.

I'm glad to hear the album is heavily thematic. Better than then uninteresting themeless underscore.

The lack of a concert track is unusual. Rose's Theme seems like the obvious candidate as it features a lot in the score. Perhaps JW didn't want to hurt Daisy's feelings by writing a concert arrangement for another women!

04 The Supremacy (4:01)

More Kylo Ren's theme!  Neat, shortened variation this time.  Then a really neat, big rendition of March of the Resistance, totally new variation and not just a retread of a TFA variation.  The middle of the track is action music, and it gives way to a really nifty, slow, unique rendition of Princess Leia's Theme.  Really cool!  Then after a dark interlude, another brand new, really unique rendition of Leia's theme again gives way to a blend of The Force Theme with Leia's Theme.  Wow!  The very end of the track features a brand new variation of the first 6 notes of Rey's Theme.

Just now, Damien F said:

Perhaps JW didn't want to hurt Daisy's feelings by writing a concert arrangement for another women!

:lol:

Just now, Damien F said:

Perhaps JW didn't want to hurt Daisy's feelings by writing a concert arrangement for another women!

Hahaha good one!

05 Fun with Finn and Rose (2:34)

This opens with the introduction (on album) of Rose's Theme, which gives way to another new, nifty rendition of the Resistance March.  Soon we get Leia's Theme again, sounding a bit quiet and subdued, but not in the same way as in the previous track.  Then more Resistance March stuff to end the track.  Despite the title, this is certainly not a concert arrangement.

06 Old Friends (4:29)

Opens with a nice new rendition of the Force theme.  Then we finally get Luke's Theme, and its an awesome quiet version, somewhat similar to when he appears in the rebel briefing room in ROTJ, but definitely new.  This gives way to more Leia's Theme, and we get new variations of Rey's Theme, too.  Second half of the track is kind of different from the first half... features some nifty Williams mystery writing, not sure if its a new theme of any kind though.  The track ends with more Force Theme.

Just now, Jay said:

06 Old Friends (4:29)

Opens with a nice new rendition of the Force theme.  Then we finally get Luke's Theme, and its an awesome quiet version, somewhat similar to when he appears in the rebel briefing room in ROTJ, but definitely new.  This gives way to more Leia's Theme, and we get new variations of Rey's Theme, too.  Second half of the track is kind of different from the first half... features some nifty Williams mystery writing, not sure if its a new theme of any kind though.  The track ends with more Force Theme.

It would be nice if you could gather all in one post.;)

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

01 Main Title and Escape (7:26)

This is kind of choppy, not very smooth and organic.  There's a big rendition of Kylo Ren's theme, a nice rendition of the March of the Resistance, and a bit that reminds me of Finn's Theme, at least the rhythm of it.  Lots of brass fanfares in this track.

02 Ahch-To Island (4:23)

Opens with The Jedi Steps theme and frankly, I didn't find it new and varied enough from its TFA rendition.  Features a nice Rey's Theme rendition in the middle, its very short though.  The ending of the track features what might be a new theme actually... hmm.

03 Revisiting Snoke (3:29)

Snoke's theme from TFA returns, the same guttural singing as before.  Both of Kylo Ren's themes are featured prominently too.

I figured that once the OST was dissected, some themes/motifs would be discovered.  Hope there's more!

07 The Rebellion is Reborn (4:00)

OK on second listen, this entire track could be a concert arrangement for sure.  It features Rose's Theme prominently to start, but then gives way to some brass fanfare medley that repeats a few times, back to Rose's Theme, back to the brass fanfare... back to Rose's Theme and ends in a very concert arrangement-y way.

So yea, seems like there is a concert arrangement after all.

08 Lesson One (2:10)

Finally features a long rendition of Rey's Theme for the first time on album - a neat, new variation, too!  more Force Theme as well.  I like this track, has a nice mystery feel in between all the action music.

09 Canto Bight (2:38)

So this is a 40 second score cue (Some nice "landing on a planet" music from Williams), which has a source cue mixed over the ending beginning at 0:35 that runs from then till the end of the track.  Features steel drums and other instrumentation that's just like Cantina Band, something that sounds like a kazoo, some other alien sounding synths, the whole thing has a jazzy feel like Cantina Band.  Also features a non-Williams theme briefly that's been used in cartoons and stuff (apologies for not knowing the name of it).

24 minutes ago, Jay said:

05 Fun with Finn and Rose (2:34)

This opens with the introduction (on album) of Rose's Theme, which gives way to another new, nifty rendition of the Resistance March.  Soon we get Leia's Theme again, sounding a bit quiet and subdued, but not in the same way as in the previous track.  Then more Resistance March stuff to end the track.  Despite the title, this is certainly not a concert arrangement.

Ah, so this is what people call Rose's theme? It's a sort of major-key variation of the Force theme, which was always used in minor key in the previous movies. Is it actually official that this theme is meant for the character of Rose? And not maybe for the Rebellion itself?

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Also features a non-Williams theme briefly that's been used in cartoons and stuff (apologies for not knowing the name of it).

"Brazil", I believe.

53 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Excuse me, how much time did you make to drive over to get th cd?

I live near downtown Orlando, so it was only about a 30 minute drive (that time of night). And as you can imagine, totally worth it! :)

10 Who Are You? (3:04)

More Rey's Theme, then a lot of mystery underscoring.  We start to get hints of the Rebel Fanfare about 2 minutes in, and soon get a fanfaric rendition of Luke's Theme, which is followed by a brief Kylo Ren theme rendition.

1 hour ago, bondo said:

As with any John Williams score, if you know your themes pretty well, it *could* be spoilery so watch out.  

I fear so as well! Particularly the track "The Last Jedi".

1 minute ago, Score said:

I fear so as well! Particularly the track "The Last Jedi".

Yeah, please Jay, be careful when you'll talk about this track haha