THE LAST JEDI - OST Album MUSIC Discussion (No Movie Spoilers)

Jay

1 minute ago, Luka said:

Yeah, please Jay, be careful when you'll talk about this track haha

I guess I could do without seeing the movie at this point... :D 

24 minutes ago, Jay said:

07 The Rebellion is Reborn (4:00)

OK on second listen, this entire track could be a concert arrangement, maybe?  Features Rose's Theme prominently to start, but then gives way to some brass fanfare medley that repeats a few times, back to Rose's Theme, back to the brass fanfare... back to Rose's Theme and ends in a very concert arrangement-y way.

So yea, seems like there is a concert arrangement after all.

So this could be a new rebellion theme, and not Rose's theme.

4 minutes ago, king mark said:

I gotta say "Rose's Theme" or whatever  is instantly my favorite Williams theme in years

It's okay.

2 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

The theme is definitely for Rose. It's always used for her character.

There seem to be multiple parts to it. There's the main melody, and then two other ideas, at least as presented in that cue. Maybe those are associated with some part of the Rebellion?

3 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Same for me.

I would say about the same. The highlights are probably better than those of TFA, but as a whole, the score lacks a strong personality, in part because of the lack of solid new thematic material. TFA was all structured around Rey's theme, which represented the heart of the score and gave it its own unique sound compared to the other SW scores, but here, it feels like the score is going a bit in different directions with not as clear a thematic structure (think maybe ROTS in that regard). And the lack of strong musical identity for the First Order is still a big problem.

So Kylo has thematic representation and Snoke.

But what about Hux and Phasma and other FO flunkies. What music will play when these people are on screen without Kylo or Snoke?

1 hour ago, Jay said:

The album is EXTREMELY heavy on returning themes, more so than any Williams sequel score that I can recall.  The album essentially completely relies on existing themes to tell its story.

So Williams disqualified for Academy Awaeds? :o

Just now, Jay said:

11 The Fathiers (2:42)

The fastest, most frenetic action track of the OST album.  Features two cool rendition of Rose's Theme!

It starts out completely insane! I love it

7 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

So Williams disqualified for Academy Awaeds? :o

I have no idea.  The OST album of course is only 77 minutes out of a what, 130 minute or whatever score, so the percentage of returning material overall could be under whatever threshold the Academy has.  We'll find out soon enough.

12 The Cave (3:00)

Probably the least interesting track of the album, right?  Not too much here to talk about.  I guess the sad version of Rey's Theme towards the end is pretty neat.

13 The Sacred Jedi Texts (3:33)

A long buildup that finally gives way to a big rendition of the Force Theme!  More subdued Force Theme later, then the ending of the track is a bit awkward... basically we just suddenly and kind of randomly get Yoda's theme, but not a cool new rendition, its basically just the concert arrangement ending from TESB.  Oh well.

14 A New Alliance (3:13)

A small bit of Snoke's Theme here, and eventually a big brassy rendition of The Force theme... I think it reminded me of a ROTS rendition?  Then some action material that was also prequel-esque, that eventually has a neat percussion instrument under part of it.  Rey's Theme enters in a cool way back by some trumpet blasts, and then we get some AOTC-esque tribal drums too.  Towards the end the violins do a run I think I recognized from somewhere else.

3 minutes ago, Erik Woods said:

Every time I hear the first few notes of Rose's Theme I keep thinking it's going to start playing Anakin's Theme. ;)

-Erik-

I think it surpasses it though

15 “Chrome Dome” (2:03)

Kind of a disappointing action track - I think the best way to describe it is that it lacks focus, kind of jumping all over the place in its short runtime.  Rebel Fanfare makes a neat cameo, and there are some cool drums here too (kind of prequel-esque).  The last fifteen seconds feature a repeating melody that reminds me of the opening space battle music from ROTS.

Listening now, so far NOT impressed at all.So far it plays like a weaker extension of TFA. Hopefully there is more to it, I am not even half way through.

Edit; ok it got better now after the re-threading. Hopefully it continues.

16 The Battle of Crait (6:48)

Awesome track!!!

It features the Force Theme, the Resistance March, the Rebel Fanfare, reworked bits of TIE Fighter Attack from ANH, but unlike track#1 which was kind of a mess, its very much organic and organized here.  Probably the best action track on the album.  Ends with some nice choir!

Just now, leeallen01 said:

How do people have physical copies when the score isn't released for another 2 days?

Epcot Center in Florida sold the CD early.

Just now, leeallen01 said:

And how have people seen the film when it isn't released until tomorrow? Which countries have released both? 

It may not be open in your country yet, but it absolutely is open in many other countries.

17 The Spark (3:36)

I guess the highlight of this track is a nice, slow, long rendition of Luke and Leia's Theme.  It's not exactly like a ROTJ iteration, but its not wildly different either.  This gives way to Han Solo and the Princess very briefly, and then then we transition to some dark music whose rhythm seems based on the Imperial March, but the main brass melody is something else.

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

there are some cool drums here too (kind of preque-esque).

Taiko drums? They were first used in Revenge of the Sith, and we know there's a chu-daiko on the LA recording stage.

18 The Last Jedi (3:04)

For a track with this title I was expecting it to be a highlight o the OST, but it really isn't.  It features some choir which is nice, but not much else in this track grabbed me.  Maybe knowing what scene its for later will help.

19 Peace and Purpose (3:08)

Opens with a big, sweeping rendition of the Force Theme.  But then we get some underscore with that march-like bit that we've heard before, Kylo Ren's theme.... nothing too special.  But then towards the end of the track there's a really neat new quiet version of the Force Theme, which gradually grows bigger, and then the Rebel Fanfare comes in to end the track in a really fun way!

18 minutes ago, Jay said:

then we transition to some dark music whose rhythm seems based on the Imperial March, but the main brass melody is something else.

It's a good ostinato (the one we heard from the trailer). Should have been the basis of a proper First March theme. Instead, it kind of just blasts away in the track.

I, and then then we transition to some dark music whose rhythm seems based on the Imperial March, but the main brass melody is something else.

wait, but that's awesome. You make it seem like it's some random bit

20 Finale (8:28)

0:00-1:05 is the final cue from the movie (I assume), and once again ends with The Force Theme.  Before the Force Theme comes in, we get 30 seconds of kind of unique music, twinkly kind of stuff that eventually features Luke's Theme, but then a dark interruption before the Force theme.  Kinda weird.

1:05-1:50 is the standard end credits opening with Luke's Theme, Rebel Fanfare, etc.

1:50-end is the end credits medley, and it really isn't nearly as good as TFA's.

• 1:50-2:40 is Rose's theme, which sounds really nice here.  Just when you're getting into it though, its over because we awkwardly segue to:
  • 2:40-2:55 is an all new piano rendition of Leia's theme, which is great!  But its WAY TOO SHORT!!!  Maybe its this way because this is when Carrie's dedication is on screen or something....
  • 2:55-3:44 is I think that brass melody from The Rebellion is Reborn?  Not sure.
  • 3:44-4:42 is a cool medley of the March of the Resistance, Rose's theme, the Rebel Fanfare, and Rey's theme.
  • 4:42-5:31 Yoda's Theme, not really different from TESB end credits rendition.
  • 5:31-6:57 the villainous fanfares from earlier in the album, with Rey's Theme too
  • 6:57-7:27 TIE Fighter Attack from ANH with some new bits inserted.  Good stuff!
  • 7:27-end is an awesome Rey's Theme ending

I guess the end credits are growing on me, lol.  The music in the medley is good, just some of the transitions are awkward, especially going into and out of that way-too-short Leia's Theme on piano bit.  I wish that part was much longer!

Just now, artguy360 said:

The way JW is playing with new and interesting renditions of TFA themes in the first few tracks reminds me strongly of ESB. 

I remember thinking that score was more musically complex and varied than the very straightforward score for ANH. I am getting the same impression here, especially with how JW treats the thematic material.

yep, that's what I said too

20 minutes ago, artguy360 said:

The first track is appropriately bombastic but also disjointed. I imagine it is heavily edited.

I have no idea if its edited down from a longer sequence or not, but it is disjointed, yea.  I'm listening to it again now.

I forgot to mention there's an ostinato in parts that remind me of the Superman ostinato.

Also, the part that could be Finn's Theme is around 4:20-4:30ish.

And around 6:20ish... is that Battle of the Heroes -esque or is it just me?

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

And around 6:20ish... is that Battle of the Heroes -esque or is it just me?

Yea, I picked up on that too. But it's probably just a coincidence.

The closing statement of Rey's theme in the end credits is quite nice.

20 Finale (8:28)

0:00-1:05 is the final cue from the movie (I assume), and once again ends with The Force Theme.  Before the Force Theme comes in, we get 30 seconds of kind of unique music, twinkly kind of stuff that eventually features Luke's Theme, but then a dark interruption before the Force theme.  Kinda weird.

1:05-1:50 is the standard end credits opening with Luke's Theme, Rebel Fanfare, etc.

1:50-end is the end credits medley, and it really isn't nearly as good as TFA's.

• 1:50-2:40 is Rose's theme, which sounds really nice here.  Just when you're getting into it though, its over because we awkwardly segue to:
  • 2:40-2:55 is an all new piano rendition of Leia's theme, which is great!  But its WAY TOO SHORT!!!  Maybe its this way because this is when Carrie's dedication is on screen or something....
  • 2:55-3:44 is I think that brass melody from The Rebellion is Reborn?  Not sure.
  • 3:44-4:42 is a cool medley of the March of the Resistance, Rose's theme, the Rebel Fanfare, and Rey's theme.
  • 4:42-5:31 Yoda's Theme, not really different from TESB end credits rendition.
  • 5:31-6:57 the villainous fanfares from earlier in the album, with Rey's Theme too
  • 6:57-7:27 TIE Fighter Attack from ANH with some new bits inserted.  Good stuff!
  • 7:27-end is an awesome Rey's Theme ending

I guess the end credits are growing on me, lol.  The music in the medley is good, just some of the transitions are awkward, especially going into and out of that way-too-short Leia's Theme on piano bit.  I wish that part was much longer!

20 bucks say that piano bit of Leia's Theme is Williams playing and it's for the short dedication to her that appears in the credits. 

I have no idea if its Williams playing or Kerber, but its really quite awkwardly interpolated into the rest of the end credits medley.  Instead of yet another Yoda's Theme rendition, why not put a longer version of her theme in the credits?

Now my first disappointment is the lack of a proper concert version of Rose's Theme. I bet it was recorded and didn't make it on the c.d. because there was no room

7 minutes ago, Gistech said:

I get that it was for practical purposes but I don't like the reuse of TFA's Main Title recording. I always thought it was a weak recording and was hoping they'd record a new one.

Having said that, I really like this score on first listen than I did TFA's. There's some quite nice statements of old themes that I can't actually name without violating the "no movie spoilers" rule. "Chrome Dome" reminds me a lot of "Rolling With Grievous" from ROTS. My favourite track so far might be "The Sacred Jedi Texts".

However, I'm not too enthused with the third JW Star Wars score in a row finishing with "Binary Sunset".

They did record a new one. Rian confirmed it.