THE LAST JEDI - OST Album MUSIC Discussion (No Movie Spoilers)

Jay

I have just a question for those who saw the film

Is the score mixed just slightly better than  the usual low mixed JW score  or is it Giacchino/Zimmer ultra loud?

7 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

The end credits sound very patch-worky. Much like a lot of the score actually.

I thought in the film it sounded tracked. Turns out it was written that way.

Man, that is one messy end credit cue.  ROTS is the worst but TLJ ain't much better.

-Erik-

A hit piece on Williams' score!

http://www.post-gazette.com/ae/music/2017/12/13/Star-Wars-new-last-jedi-john-williams-soundtrack-music-film-score-review/stories/201712120107

John Williams' new 'Star Wars' soundtrack fails to excite

“The Last Jedi” introduces a new theme for Rose, the franchise’s only significant new character. (No, the Porgs don’t count.) It’s fine, but nothing legendary. There’s new tropically flavored cantina music. There’s new chase music for the escape of the maltreated race beasts.

Otherwise, the music is an uninspired rehash of the previous seven films.

Just now, Damien F said:

Erik, what is your initial thoughts on the overall score?

I need to see the film because I'm having EXACTLY the same reaction I did initially to TFA, which was meh.  I ended up LOVING TFA after hearing the score in context.  But right now I'll say that I'm absolutely disappointed in the use of Yoda's Theme and TIE Fighter Attack.  I really do hate it when orchestrations from one score are copied and pasted into another without much variation.  Williams is a master at playing around with previously existing themes, and there is evidence of his mastery in TLJ, but the direct lifts are... well, he's 85 so I might have to give him a pass.  And the main title.  Dammit... why are they still using the TFA orchestrations for the opening blast!  Really weak.

HOWEVER, mostly everything starting with "A New Alliance" up until the finale is a lot of fun!  And "The Rebellion Is Reborn" along with "The Fathiers" is superb.

And I think I'll echo everyone else's thoughts... why is there no concert suite of Rose's Theme?  And I'm UTTERLY disappointed that The Jedi Steps cue wasn't used more in the score.  I really was hoping that would become Luke's new theme! I was waaaaaaay off on that one.

Anyway, I need to listen to it more.  I need to see the film.  Afterwards, I'll spew all of my thoughts on the next episode of The Soundcast. ;)  I'm not going to say much about the score on my show... I least I don't think I am.... when I upload my newest episode tomorrow.

-Erik-

I am hopeful that there is more more Jedi Steps variations in the complete score that just didn't make it to the OST album.

11 minutes ago, Erik Woods said:

I need to see the film because I'm having EXACTLY the same reaction I did initially to TFA, which was meh.  I ended up LOVING TFA after hearing the score in context.  But right now I'll say that I'm absolutely disappointed in the use of Yoda's Theme and TIE Fighter Attack.  I really do hate it when orchestrations from one score are copied and pasted into another without much variation.  Williams is a master at playing around with previously existing themes, and there is evidence of his mastery in TLJ, but the direct lifts are... well, he's 85 so I might have to give him a pass.  And the main title.  Dammit... why are they still using the TFA orchestrations for the opening blast!  Really weak.

HOWEVER, mostly everything starting with "A New Alliance" up until the finale is a lot of fun!  And "The Rebellion Is Reborn" along with "The Fathiers" is superb.

And I think I'll echo everyone else's thoughts... why is there no concert suite of Rose's Theme?  And I'm UTTERLY disappointed that The Jedi Steps cue wasn't used more in the score.  I really was hoping that would become Luke's new theme! I was waaaaaaay off on that one.

Anyway, I need to listen to it more.  I need to see the film.  Afterwards, I'll spew all of my thoughts on the next episode of The Soundcast. ;)  I'm not going to say much about the score on my show... I least I don't think I am.... when I upload my newest episode tomorrow.

-Erik-

The TIE fighter attack doesn't really bother me. There is a little variation so it keeps it interesting for me. Nice musical cameo to be honest. I always had a feeling that cue would return in this trilogy.

Every time I hear Rose's theme, I'm more annoyed there isn't a proper concert suite. He may very well have written one for his upcoming 2018 concerts, as Jay mentioned. 

Doesnt The Rebellion Is Reborn kind of count as a concert arrangement of Rose's Theme?

I mean, at a concert, he's unlikely to play BOTH The Rebellion is Reborn AND A full arrangement of just her theme, right?

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Doesnt The Rebellion Is Reborn kind of count as a concert arrangement of Rose's Theme?

I mean, at a concert, he's unlikely to play BOTH The Rebellion is Reborn AND A full arrangement of just her theme, right?

It doesn't feel like a concert arrangement of just her theme, because as you mention in your notes, it keeps switching between her theme and that brass fanfare. Her theme never gets a chance to flourish for long, unlike the Rey's Theme track.

4 minutes ago, Damien F said:

It doesn't feel like a concert arrangement of just her theme, because as you mention in your notes, it keeps switching between her theme and that brass fanfare. Her theme never gets a chance to flourish for long, unlike the Rey's Theme track.

i can't stop playing that track on repeat

ok I have a question . Why is it when i'm trying to quote a post , only the part of the poost gets quoted?

Oh dear, I really don't like how that great orchestral swell of Rose's Theme in the end credits is suddenly cut off for Leia's theme. 

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

I REALLY like the Rey's Theme ending to the end credits

Me too, just a shame everything before was more coherent. 

5 minutes ago, Damien F said:

Oh dear, I really don't like how that great orchestral swell of Rose's Theme in the end credits is suddenly cut off for Leia's theme. 

it sounds like an edit and we don't have the  "real" recording

7 minutes ago, Damien F said:

This end credits sounds more like a series of musical "seeds" than a fluid piece of music. Like there's at least five different ideas in there but none of them is really fleshed out, at least not in the same way as they were in the TFA end credits. But still, no need to highlight of course that the musical material itself is excellent.

1 minute ago, king mark said:

Exactly!

First 20 minutes are really good so far. No stand-out new themes yet, but what strikes me is how intensely successful the Force Awakens' themes are. He did an incredible job there, and it's paying off here.

EDIT: Holy shoot, Rose's theme is an instant classic. Simple, but it's something that would fit right at home in a score like The Fellowship of the Ring.

2 minutes ago, king mark said:

It sounds like the way an orchestra sounds when the conductor suddenly stops and all the musicians stop playing. 

13 minutes ago, Damien F said:

7 minutes ago, king mark said:

I agree with both of you!

6 minutes ago, Loert said:

This end credits sounds more like a series of musical "seeds" than a fluid piece of music. Like there's at least five different ideas in there but none of them is really fleshed out, at least not in the same way as they were in the TFA end credits. But still, no need to highlight of course that the musical material itself is excellent.

Agree with this too!

4 minutes ago, Bowie said:

EDIT: Holy shoot, Rose's theme is an instant classic. Simple, but it's something that would fit right at home in a score like The Fellowship of the Ring.

:eh:

2 hours ago, Breadstick Basilisk said:

Did anyone else catch the Poe's theme intervals at 3:09 in track 1? Nice segue-in from the Resistance theme.

Maybe I'm just not musically trained the right way, but what I'm hearing there is just Resistance March stuff.  Maybe someone can explain it in a dumbed down way for us non-musically-trained folk?

Jason, Poe's theme gets states at around 3:09 of track 1, as counterpoint to The  Resistance theme. It's very noticeable, even in the cinema.

Just now, Bowie said:

You disagree?

It doesn't remotely sound like Howard Shore.

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

Maybe I'm just not musically trained the right way, but what I'm hearing there is just Resistance March stuff.  Maybe someone can explain it in a dumbed down way for us non-musically-trained folk?

Check out the violins at 1:30 in TFA's "I Can Fly Anything" (OST) or better yet, the trumpets at 1:18 in "The Resistance" (FYC). Then go back and listen to that 3:09 spot in "Escape". Same melodic motion, the rising notes returning down to the same pitch.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Poe's Theme isn't on the OST.

1 hour ago, mrbellamy said:

Yes it is! "Peace and Purpose" at 1:54.

You're totally right!  I hear it now!

3 minutes ago, Bowie said:

You disagree?

I both disagree that Rose's theme is an instant classic AND that it sounds anything like Shore's Fellowship of the Ring score, yes.

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

I both disagree that Rose's theme is an instant classic AND that it sounds anything like Shore's Fellowship of the Ring score, yes.

:D Opinions, I guess!

2 minutes ago, Breadstick Basilisk said:

Check out the violins at 1:30 in "I Can Fly Anything" (OST) or better yet, 1:18 in "The Resistance" (FYC). Then go back and listen to that spot in "Escape". Same motion, the rising notes returning down to the same pitch.

Thank you sir!

1 hour ago, mrbellamy said:

Yes it is! "Peace and Purpose" at 1:54.

And as somebody else said, I think there's a hint of it coming out of that first new Resistance March statement in "Main Title and Escape" but a little more arguable. Those 4 notes at 3:09 just remind me of it in "The Resistance", but it's a weird one because it also follows a similar shape to how the Resistance March melody continues....but not exactly. I think it's closer to Poe's Theme. So if it's a Poe moment, then I think it could be Williams finding a very subtle little connection there between both. 

It's definitely there. So that's 2 out of the 3 statements of Poe's theme in the film that ended up on the album. Nice!

1 hour ago, Damien F said:

The Rebellion Is Reborn could possibly score a montage sequence. 

Nope.

1 hour ago, king mark said:

I have just a question for those who saw the film

Is the score mixed just slightly better than  the usual low mixed JW score  or is it Giacchino/Zimmer ultra loud?

Not ultra loud, but you get to hear it just fine. Do not worry about that.

51 minutes ago, Jay said:

I am hopeful that there is more more Jedi Steps variations in the complete score that just didn't make it to the OST album.

Nope. Only two statements in the film.

But there's only one statement on the OST album, Bloodboal

BTW, you completely ignored my post about Distant Worlds IV in the Last Score thread!

4 minutes ago, king mark said:

Rose's theme Is an instant classic. I think it's the best Williams theme since Harry Potter

:o

I can think of many much more interesting themes than this!

Catch Me if you can theme. Love theme from Terminal, Across the Stars, Sayuri's theme, Munich theme, Irina's theme.. etc. etc.

Just now, Jay said:

But there's only one statement on the OST album, Bloodboal

Well, as far as I remember, both statements sound pretty much alike, so you're not missing much.

What I meant anyway is that the theme is not used extensively in the film.

Just now, Jay said:

BTW, you completely ignored my post about Distant Worlds IV in the Last Score thread!

All right, all right! Will respond to it!

2 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

:o

I can think of many much more interesting themes than this!

Catch Me if you can theme. Love theme from Terminal, Across the Stars, Sayuri's theme, Munich theme, Irina's theme.. etc. etc.

Rey's Theme....

1 minute ago, king mark said:

ok, i was just thinking . The FYC might have all the cues that DON'T contain  the themes from previous movies

6 hours ago, Jay said:
6 hours ago, someonefun124 said:

Since the OST features a lot of existing themes, I wonder how they are going to showcase all the new/original music on the FYC?  Unless if new renditions of existing themes counts as original music.

Woah, that's a great question!  The FYC could be QUITE different from the OST album...