THE LAST JEDI - OST Album MUSIC Discussion (No Movie Spoilers)

Jay

15 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I've thought about this a lot actually over the last couple of years and I've meant to make a thread about it countless times. Those last seven notes on the celesta... I always feel like that was Williams signing off, at the time, from Star Wars just in case. It's awfully poignant to me, those closing final moments of that score. 

Agree so much with that. I wouldn't be surprised if he was probably leaning towards retiring from the franchise as he was writing TFA.

10 minutes ago, RadJ said:

And the final notes of TLJ seems like "OK maybe I'll do one more" or "Who knows?" 

Yes!

4 minutes ago, Damien F said:

Agree so much with that. I wouldn't be surprised if he was probably leaning towards retiring from the franchise as he was writing TFA.

From what we read in the media at the time he didn't at all seem certain that he would compose Episodes VIII and IX. It's a big project to commit to.

4 minutes ago, Damien F said:

Daisy brought him back!

8 minutes ago, Donna Lackluster said:

The Last Jedi soundtrack is awe-inspiring.

The worst thing one could say about it is that the music is too new.

Quite a lot of it isn't that new though. ;)

Given that the Resistance march/theme was my favorite new thematic identity from TFA (and I agree that its absence from the TFA finale was peculiar), I was pleasantly surprised to hear so much of the theme integrated in this new score.

Two of my (new) favorite iterations of the theme appear in rapid succession in "Main Title and Escape."

First, at 3:01-3:10-ish, that rapid, frantic statement is fresh - desperate yet building towards triumph.

Then, my favorite new addition to the theme occurs at 3:20-3:23, after the explosive introductory fanfare but before the main statement - that very brief sort of reverberating horn (or is it trombone?) performing a bold, defiant fragment of the theme leading into the main statement. It immediately evoked a mental image of someone raising their fists and quickly positioning themselves for a fight, as if in a gritty fisticuffs match. What a great addition - it fits the sort of early twentieth century revolutionary militarism and every-man grit of the theme.

I'm glad that the heroes have a theme with some grit and fire, a bite.

Following this statement, between 3:30-3:40, I enjoy the pounding drums and thundering brass - this reminded me very much of "Superman."

5 hours ago, KK said:

Yup, pretty sure that was him.

For hornist, every Williams score that comes out is the greatest thing since sliced bread!

I wrote a long answer but deleted it and say just FUCK YOU and filmscore. Please try to do it by yourselves, it isn't that easy. :lol:

oh you may have tried😄

28 minutes ago, Donna Lackluster said:

The Last Jedi soundtrack is awe-inspiring.

The worst thing one could say about it is that the music is too new.

I fucking love it, having listened to all of it a couple of times now. And watched the film.

35 minutes ago, Damien F said:

Yes, and it's possible he was even taking into consideration his state of health at the time. 

Having seen the movie, I'm certain the theme you describe as Militaristic Resistance’ theme is for Luke on the island. 

From what I recall, it only ever appears on the island with him and Rey, and never anywhere else.

1 minute ago, Damien F said:

Having seen the movie, I'm certain the theme you describe as Militaristic Resistance’ theme is for Luke on the island. 

Thank you! I wasn't sure what to call it having not yet seen the film. :) 

18 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

TFA has some Superman too!

8 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

On the soundtrack album? Where?

On the FYC album, in "The Resistance".  Or was it "The Bombing Run"? I forget now.

9 minutes ago, Jack said:

01 Main Titles and Escape

Battle of the Heroes at 6:15

02 Ahch-To Island

The cue alludes to a fragment of Battle of the Heroes in the bass at 0:57.

Am I missing something?!

I pointed out the Battle The Heroes thing, too

On 12/13/2017 at 12:25 PM, Jay said:

And around 6:20ish... is that Battle of the Heroes -esque or is it just me?

4 minutes ago, Loert said:

I mean, it's an allusion if anything. It's not a direct quote. 

Yes, of course it is varied. But Battle of the Heroes it is, nonetheless.

I would be more interested in having a debate as to whether, for example, 02 Ahch-To Island alludes to a fragment of Battle of the Heroes in the bass at 0:57, as I mentioned. That is far more subjective!

The referencing in Main Titles and Escape is blatant. Most definitely intentional, beyond doubt.

Just now, RadJ said:

I don't think there are any intentional quotes of Battle of the Heroes in there. But I agree it sounds like it :)

I believe you are most definitely wrong. Listen again. :)

1 minute ago, Jack said:

I believe you are most definitely wrong. Listen again. :)

It could be intentional of course, I'm not saying it definitely isn't. I completely agree it sounds exactly like that bridge part of Battle of the Heroes.

Just now, RadJ said:

It could be intentional of course, I'm not saying it definitely isn't. I completely agree it sounds exactly like that bridge part of Battle of the Heroes.

So unless Williams suffered some temporary loss of agency while writing, it follows that he intended to reference BotH.

I now see what you mean on Track 1 (6:15), love that part, didn't notice the similarity at first. Do you guys have any idea what this motif/theme could be related to?

Only three new themes. I hope Ep. 9 will be more melodious. I understand that new characters have not arrived to TLJ: no new characters what they deserve the theme, except for Rose. That's why Williams used only old famous themes and new action music. Finn's theme/Action motif is not on soundtrack. That's pity. I like it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_of_Star_Wars#First_appearance_8

Battle Of The Heroes is the first thing that came to mind when I listened to it for the first time. It's beyond wierd how many old themes and cues and concert suites are quoted or alluded to in TLJ.

19 minutes ago, Skywanker said:

Only three new themes. I hope Ep. 9 will be more melodious. I understand that new characters have not arrived to TLJ: no new characters what they deserve the theme, except for Rose. That's why Williams used only old famous themes and new action music. Finn's theme/Action motif is not on soundtrack. That's pity. I like it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_of_Star_Wars#First_appearance_8

The source is HERE - JWFAN : D

10 minutes ago, Donna Lackluster said:

Because it tries to build a bridge between three generations of Star Wars?

You don't do that by throwing in random quotes from themes that have no meaning at that point. That's Chamber Of Secrets-ey.

I cannot say anything as I haven't seen the movie yet. But the movie seems to have so many more characters (minus Han Solo) it was probably better to create less new themes and go with established ones. The flow of the album is much much better than TFA which was constantly starting and stopping and micro-mickey-mousing every silly detail instead of going into something simpler, but more effective.